Study Gregorian Chant in Collegeville with Fr. Anthony Ruff, OSB
  • awruff
    STUDY CHANT IN COLLEGEVILLE WITH FR. ANTHONY RUFF!

July 22-24: Gregorian Chant I - Introduction to Gregorian Chant taught by Fr. Anthony Ruff, OSB
    Wednesday, July 22 2-4 p.m., 6:30–8:30 p.m.
    Thursday, July 23 optional review 9:30-11:30 a.m.; Class 2-4:45 p.m.
    Friday, July 24 Class 2-4:45 p.m., 6:30–8:30 p.m.

Introduction to Gregorian chant: historical development, notation, rhythm, modality, Latin pronunciation, editions and resources, and its use in the modern liturgy. Treatment of various schools of interpretations Prior ability to read 5-line notation and some knowledge of the basics of music theory is expected.
  • musicmom
    Where do I find more information about this? I'm interested, but not sure how it would work out (cost, etc.) I need more details and couldn't find anything with a google search (but I'm probably looking in the wrong places?). I'd appreciate some direction. Thanks!
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    For those not aware, there is also major training in Gregorian chant here:

CMAA Chant training

. . . and I believe they are STILL accepting registrations, even though (technically) the deadline has passed.
  • Kathy
    I've attended both programs and both are extreeeeeemely worthwhile.
  • musicmom
    Yes, I know there is training in chant at the Colloquium - but the combination of the dates it occurs and the distance from where I live makes it impossible this year. Someday, I hope...

Collegeville, however, is actually in my state, and the dates occur during a free week. Thanks, Kathy, for the vote of confidence in the program!
  • awruff
    CHANT IN COLLEGEVILLE, MN:

Tuition is $310 for this 1-credit course.

Here is the online registration form, with options and prices for room and board:
    https://www.csbsju.edu/sot/forms/summer.aspx

Fr. Anthony, OSB
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    I've heard wonderful things about the program. Let's remember that it is not a competition but rather that every program makes a contribution to a common mission.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Is it just me, or are there so many Gregorian chant programs out there these days it is hard to keep track?

WHO would have ever envisioned this situation 10 years ago??? !!!! Deo Gratias !
  • mjballoumjballou
    "Let's remember that it is not a competition."

Truer words were never spoken, Jeffrey.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Fr. Ruff appears to have some beautiful Resp. Psalm antiphons available here
  • Jan
    I've taken both programs. However it was the Advanced Gregorian Chant section with Fr. Ruff. They are both fabulous. The CMAA Colloquium has the added
    advantage of 7 days, the choice of beginning or advanced Gregorian chant practice & singing polyphony. Musicmom, if it works out better to go to Collegeville,
    by all means, GO.
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    It's so wonderful to see Lit Press permitting free downloads, though the licensing requirement seems like it can't be helping the project. Also the $35 price for the book seems oddly high. I suspect that it is going to take a while for the old guard to get the hang of the digital age.