Jesu Dulcis Memoria - Hymn (SSA/SATB)
  • Drake
    A happy Feast of the Transfiguration to all!

I wish to offer a traditional hymn setting of the Jesu Dulcis Memoria of St. Bernard of Clairvaux to you, my friends on the forum. The setting comes in two versions, one for three voices (men or women) and one for SATB. While not one of my more elaborate compositions, I have become quite fond of its simple, sweet song, and I've personally gained a better appreciation for the text of this 12th century hymn by having set it to music -- though, as you'll read at the post, I actually wrote the music before I had figured out what hymn I was writing, which is a little spooky.

Above all, I wish to emphasize how delightful is His sweet presence, how good He is to those who seek Him, and how grateful I am to have found Him.

Free PDF and playback are at the following link: http://www.catholicliving.net/jesu-dulcis-memoria/

I hope it may be of use.

P.S. I am not greatly familiar with all of the various hymn tunes out there, so if this melody is close to something that already exists, please let me know. I'm not trying to copy anything already extant.
  • Very well done.

For comparison, have a look at my two settings (SAB and SATB) hereabouts. The 3-voice pieces are similar, but I think that points to something in the text itself, not something which needs to be fixed.
    Thanked by 1Drake
  • Drake
    Chris, do you have a recording or even a computer-generated playback of your setting? (I found Chris' PDF here, for reference, for those reading this thread.) I'd like to hear all three parts together, especially to appreciate the rhythmic interplay of the parts.
  • I have a Finale file which contains all 5 verses + Amen (added at the request of my son, who used it at college).

Finale files ( I think) can't be loaded here, so we'll have to figure out another mechanism.
  • Drake
    Finale will let you export the piece as an audio file. Select "File -> Export -> Audio File..." Your only options are AIFF or WAV formats. Both of those will produce a large, uncompressed audio file. I think the forum only supports mp3 (but I may be mistaken).

If you have Audacity, an mp3 encoder is now built in. You could open the AIFF or WAV file in Audacity, then select "File -> Export -> Export as MP3". This will produce a compressed file that would be suitable.

I have a Mac, so if you're on Windows, the menu paths might be slightly different.
  • I'm mostly considered a dinosaur when it comes to computer programs. I don't know that I have Audacity, and I don't know that I know how to convert the audio file to an MP3 format.

Can anyone here help?
  • Drake
    I didn't mean to create a burden. If you want to get/use Audacity, you can get it here (it's free). Then you would install it, select File -> Open, and open the AIFF or WAV file that Finale exported. Then use the "File -> Export -> Export as MP3" command to create the MP3.

Otherwise, it's OK. Please don't feel any pressure or obligation. I appreciate the setting that you shared on the forum.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I use and highly recommend the NCH Switch Sound File Converter, which is available in a free downloadable version here.

There are also several free online converters (just search for "wav to mp3 online converter").
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Drake, your settings are wonderful!!
    Thanked by 1Drake
  • Drake,

You're not creating a burden. I might do as Charles suggests. On the other hand, if you'll PM me with an address, I can send you the file and you can modify it at your end.

I forget: is my SATB version here, somewhere?
  • Drake
    Yes, both versions are posted in this thread. I will send you a PM.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    [deleted basically duplicate post ... tried to post last night (Friday), but it appeared to fail, then appeared finally today]
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    [deleted basically duplicate post ... tried to post last night (Friday), but it appeared to fail, then appeared finally today]