Gigue from Watermusic as a postlude for St Patrick’s Day?
  • I know this is like 7 months away… but…

At my parish, the former music director had a tradition of playing the song “When Irish Eyes are Smiling” as the closing song for St Patrick’s Day (or the Sunday closest to it.) With all due respect to them, i do not believe that is appropriate for Holy Mass.

However, as a gesture of good will to those who might have attachments to their Irish heritage and have an expectation that it be acknowledged somehow, I thought the Gigue from Suite #3 of Handel’s Watermusic would serve well — it sounds fairly like an Irish jig but, it would seem to me, is still formal and elegant enough to be appropriate for sending-off music? (Also considered Handel’s Forest Music, and the Gigue from Bach’s 5th French Suite.) I would probably couple it with “O God Almighty Father” as the recessional hymn.

Do you think this is an appropriate choice?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xjieKmB0zRI (go to 50:13)
  • Liam
    Well, St Patrick's Day always falls during Lent, so use of the organ other than to sustain singing is an issue unless it's a solemnity on the calendar of one's locality.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    As Liam notes, there's a problem. But in 2026 March 15 falls on Laetare, so mark that calendar!
  • I was of the understanding that Postludes are a different matter, because Mass is technically over. Like, the ban on organ only applied to intra-liturgy, not extra. But thank you!
  • Liam
    I would venture that the spirit of the instructions would treat that as "winky-winky" in technical jargon.... (Instructed to refrain from ornamenting the Mass itself with instrumental music, why ornament silence that follows such Mass?)
    Thanked by 1John_F_Church
  • chonakchonak
    I think it would be an improvement over the previous practice.
  • I've often played All Praise to St. Patrick as the postlude or even the Bach Gigue fugue BWV 577
  • I am not a good enough organist to play BWW 577… I had thought about it though. And I am not familiar with the All Praise to St. Patrick, thank you very much for sharing!

I don’t think my parish is ready for Lenten/Adventide pure a cappella or low organ. I know that is what the rubrics call for and would love to do that eventually. I have only recently started doing one of the respective propers as a prelude for Mass (whichever one seems to tie in with the readings the best.) i don’t want to change too much too quickly. The congregation and staff and the pastor are all very good to me and I respect them very much.
  • Perhaps you could encourage the singing of Saint Patrick's Breastplate, unaccompanied?
  • CharlesW
    As noted above, the mass is over before the recessional since the dismissal has already happened. Use the organ if you sing St. Patrick's Breastplate. Otherwise you will hear tones previously unknown to man or beast.
  • On a related note, has anyone heard this beautiful version of St. Patrick’s breastplate? Sounds very Irish yet totally reverent and liturgically apropos.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Ymb0k3T5Ozk
    Thanked by 1CharlesW

• I was of the understanding that Postludes are a different matter, because Mass is technically over. Like, the ban on organ only applied to intra-liturgy, not extra. But thank you!

No. It’s not with keeping of the spirit of the season. If you don’t play the organ throughout Lent, it also makes for a more effective Gloria on Holy Thursday and Easter Vigil.

Why not sing an Irish postlude such as a nice choral version of Be Thou My Vision, which is very significant to the Irish?
  • ServiamScores
    In Europe, some of the older organs have large doors that physically enclose the organ during advent and lent since they were not to be used at all.
  • CharlesW
    The organ is allowed to accompany singing during Lent and can be freely used on what I always referred to as "pink Sunday," since the vestments were more pink than rose. There are no restrictions on Advent under the current rite of the Church.
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    Why not keep it simple and do Hail Glorious St. Patrick or All Praise to St. Patrick?
  • playing the song “When Irish Eyes are Smiling” as the closing song for St Patrick’s Day

If your people were used to their Irish heritage being acknowledged with an English ditty like that, then I'm thinking they don't particularly have much attachment to said heritage.
  • Ok., I grant that organ accompaniment makes the well-worn tune work better, but what about singing one section of it in parts instead of in unison?
  • Since Covid days, it has been just me and sometimes an additional singer… though currently we are trying to move forward in reestablishing the choir(s)… hopefully by then maybe the choral approach will be valid option.