• St.Gregory
    Hey everyone,

Currently I am an organ major at a small college near Asheville, North Carolina. To make a long story short, I am very unhappy with my current school and am looking to transfer either for next Spring or the Fall of '11. I would like to go to a school that has both a solid music program and a solid liberal arts program. Although the liberal arts does not have to be Catholic per se they would need to be reasonably conservative. Could anyone recommend any schools or comment on these: Catholic University of America, University of St. Thomas (Houston), Emory University, Furman University.

Thanks and God Bless!
  • You mention Houston -
    Two universities in Houston have very fine organ departments if you are serious about being an organ major. They are the Moores School of Music at the University of Houston (three manual von Beckerath), with Robert Bates at the helm; and the Shepherd School of Music at Rice University (four manual Fisk-Rosales), with Clyde Holloway (though I believe he is retiring). Of the two, I would, personally, prefer Robert Bates. As for the University of St Thomas: it is a fine Catholic university with strong liberal arts and philosophy, but it definitely would not be the place to pursue serious organ studies. The organ there is a two manual Schoenstein buried in some L-shaped upper chambers and is not (whether one does or does not like Schoenstein's tonal aesthetic) one of Schoenstein's successful instruments. The chapel itself is a wonderful, quite modern, sacred space by architect Phillip Johnson (who also did most of the original campus), and has outstanding acoustics. Elsewhere in Texas, there is a fine organ department at the University of Texas in Austin, where Gerre Hancock is head of a newly developed degree awarding church music department. The organ there is an outstanding three manual Visser-Rowland of neo-Baroque tonal design.
  • BruceL
    I vote for UT-Austin...of course, I'm not biased at all as an alum...

I would stay away from the "Catholic" schools, to be frank. Although they may give you some resources, you are much better off working with an individual who is experienced (i.e., Dr. Hancock.) I have to argue with MJO about the organ being outstanding, though...it plays like a truck and has a really limp pedal division. That said, there are some nice things. Also, Austin is a wonderful place to study and has a good Catholic intellectual culture if you look for it, as well as a couple really excellent Catholic music programs. You're welcome to email me for more info.
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    Being one of the builders, I have to disagree with Bruce a little bit. The Visser has plenty of pedal. It's the room that simply sucks - sorry, no polite words to describe it! The room is a typical "multi-purpose" recital hall, meant to accommodate just about anything. Ever with adjustable louvers on the walls, it ends up not being particularly good for anything - especially the organ. Anyone familiar with collegiate politics will understand that there is always discord between the organ and piano departments!
  • BruceL
    Steve, my apologies for not noting that as well: you are certainly correct. That said, Pieter himself has admitted that his pedal divisions were a little underscaled up until the mid-80's... ;-) I should have said, as well, that there are MANY nice things on that instrument, especially reeds-wise. Principal choruses are also very nice. It just always felt like you had to pull the pedal reeds to add any body to a registration. Now that I've hijacked the thread, I'll be quiet now...haha
  • Thanks for your advice everyone! University of Texas at Austin does look really good, I am especially interested in improvisation and obviously that is one of Dr. Hancock's fortes. I am wondering if, considering his age, he might have any plans to retire soon? University of St. Thomas, I agree is definetly not that great of a program, but I had heard it recommended as a great Catholic liberal arts program so I thought it might be worth a try. That organ doesn't sound good at all :( What I should have said in my original post is that I am also looking for cheaper schools, one of the reasons I was looking at St. Thomas. All the schools I have had recommended to me cost $40,000 or more - Emory, Catholic, Furman, UT Austin. Maybe that is just what a good education costs nowadays?

Also, if anyone could comment on this dilemma: I recently read Ideas Have Consequences by Richard Weaver and he express what I believe about modern education! Classical Musicians, particularly Sacred Musicians need to have a philosophical, historical etc. background as well as musical, it will make us better musicians, especially Sacred Musicians. So, going into College I wanted to pursue a BA in order to have time to minor in History and be able to study the Liberal Arts a bit, but I've also heard people say that you basically either need a BM in order to get into a good graduate program? Advice?
  • Tactus
    You might want to check out Duquesne University in Pittsburgh as a possibility. The overall program is solid and I hear Ann Labounsky is a good teacher. The tuition is high but there is an arrangement with the diocese there that any diocesan church musician gets a 50% 'discount' which makes the overall price somewhat more reasonable. That being said, Pittsburgh is NOT a bastion of good church music (Catholic or Protestant) and indeed, seems to really revel in mediocre to bad music. There are some places with good music and liturgy, but they are few and far between.
    Still, might be worth a look.