Concordi Laetitia 2 and 3 (and 4!) part vocal harmonies
  • m_r_taylor
    Here is a draft of newly composed vocal harmonies for Concordi Laetitia. I might add a four-part harmony later. I am not sure about whether I will keep the alto line E to D suspension in the last line which creates that D-E-F cluster; might have to wait for hearing actual voices give it a go.

Any feedback welcome; also, please let me know if this is useful to you at church.

EDIT: added the fourth part, score and recording posted below.
  • sdtalley3sdtalley3
    “I will keep the alto line E to D suspension in the last line which creates that D-E-F cluster; might have to wait for hearing actual voices give it a go.”

It’s ok if you’re Eric Whitacre.
  • Schönbergian
    That suspension really bears very little to Whitacre's compositional language in my view; it's very conventional voice-leading, and looks more esoteric than it is because of the close position.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • MarkS
    Keep the cluster! That suspension is my favorite moment. And I would linger all over the E.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • m_r_taylor
    Thanks for all comments. I look forward to finagling a live recording.
  • m_r_taylor
    Here is a recording of the 3-part section...pretty close to what I was looking for, aside from some tuning issues. The cluster works I think.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen sdtalley3
  • sdtalley3sdtalley3
    It works nicely.
  • m_r_taylor
    I just wrote a 4-part version too! Here is a take of:

3-part version with bass doubling melody
    4-part version

Score and recording included. Bass forgets to ascend to F instead of D prior to the final Virgo Maria, but otherwise mostly there.