Spanish translations of Graduale Romanum
  • doneill
    Is anybody aware of Spanish translations of the texts of the Graduale Romanum, simply to provide in a worship aid? I can use the Misal Romano translations when they are the same, but that's not always the case, and given that they are often abridged and altered from scripture, I can't rely on a Spanish Bible translation either. Surely St. Peter's Basilica must use something for their multilingual booklet translations? I also can't understand why there are translations of the Gregorian Missal in English, Italian and French, but not Spanish.
  • rich_enough
    In most cases you can use translations in Spanish leaflets for the Extraordinary Form (found here, for example), as most of the chants also appear in the OF - usually on different days, of course.

The attached table gives the equivalent propers in the both forms (with the caveat that some chants in the OF are proper to Years A, B, or C, and other minor discrepancies).
    Thanked by 1doneill
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Reminds me somehow of this CPDL page (we've tried to clarify minor discrepancies on the linked pages). A reverse table showing where EF chants are used in the OF would be welcome.
  • rich_enough
    Yes, I lifted the chart from that page at CPDL.

As for the reverse table, the attached is as close I've got - giving page numbers of EF propers in the Gregorian Missal (1990 edition).
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • WGS
    rich_enough -
    yes, I prepared that convenient list, and I was very much annoyed when the page numbers of a subsequent edition of the GM did not conform with those of the earlier edition. (I like the way that at least some issues of the LU indicate inserted pages by means of a,b.c etc.)

I did not create a revised version of the above mentioned list. And not that anyone need it, I believe my @.cavtel.net email address is no longer functioning, so for any communication, I recommend @gmail.com.
    Thanked by 1rich_enough
  • doneill
    There are a number of Sunday chants in the 1974 Graduale Romanum, especially Communion chants, for the 3-year lectionary, which correspond to ferial propers of the 1961 GR. That makes finding translations challenging. This could be a great project for an industrious linguist skilled in Latin and Spanish. Our bilingual parish is gradually moving in the direction of doing more Latin with translations provided in both languages.
  • rich_enough
    For Spanish translations of 1962 propers not for Sundays or major feasts (ferias, saints' days, etc.) there are Latin-Spanish hand missals out there (this one is probably the best-known in the US), but nothing that I could find online.
    Thanked by 1doneill
  • SalieriSalieri
    It might be that your best option is a Spanish-Latin 1962 Daily Missal and the 1969 Ordo Cantus Missae, which lists where each chant is from in the 1962 books.
    Thanked by 2rich_enough doneill