"We Remember How You Love Us"
  • Did the church interdict the use of other anemneses after 2010? I'm dealing with a nun who wants "We Remember" sung all the time. Isn't this prohibited? Thanks for any help.
  • Chaswjd
    It is not one of the prescribed texts. So it cannot be used.
    Thanked by 1ChapmanGonzalez
  • Kathy
    Yes, it's prohibited. The allowed texts are in the Roman Missal.
  • a_f_hawkins
    GIRM §151. After the Consecration when the Priest has said, The mystery of faith, the people pronounce the acclamation, using one of the prescribed formulas
  • Quaeritur:

Will having the GIRM alone help Chapman Gonzalez, or can we hereabouts give him more help in solving the problem of this persistent sister?

• MarkB
    What the sister wants used isn't even a liturgical text: it's the refrain from Marty Haugen's song "We Remember". I remember when that refrain was experimentally used in place of the memorial acclamation at some Masses in the 1980s.

It wasn't permissible then because it wasn't a valid option, nor is it now. If the GIRM isn't enough, maybe this old OCP article will help:

http://content.ocp.org/shared/pdf/general/TL-NewRomanMissal-MysteryofFaith.pdf

The old "Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again," acclamation didn't even make the cut in the new translation. What makes the sister think that she has grounds for inserting Haugen's refrain in place of one of the three approved options?
  • GambaGamba
    “We Remember”, “We Celebrate”, “We Believe”.....I personally love how that earworm of a song manages to list the Three Marks of a fading NuChurch:

1) the song itself
    2) a wretched hymnal
    3) now-defunct “translations”

• Thanks to all of you for your helpful replies. This forum is a wonderful resource and I appreciate you all. Chapman
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • Chapman,

You could tell sister that since "We remember" is the refrain of a larger piece, you wouldn't feel right singing the refrain without the rest of the piece, and there isn't time (without delaying Mass) to sing it there, so if she could suggest a better place for that piece or would like to choose from things the Church feels won't delay the Mass too long,.....
  • Problem is Sister feels Like singing it every week, lol. She’d find a time, no doubt.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    The old "Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again," acclamation didn't even make the cut in the new translation.

That was my favorite acclamation.
  • Salvator mundi is the best of a fairly uninspiring bunch. I used to see Mortem tuam as more "authentic", until I learned its melody was an invention like all the rest.
  • @Schönbergian, at what point does an adaptation (in this case of a familiar chant from Good Friday, of course) become an invention like all the others? True it says mortem not crucem. , But the text is almost three same and it's obviously this same tune.

If anything surely Salvator is a recent invention? The chant in the Liber is in mode VII , and rather more neumatic than the one in the modern Missal, which is in mode IV. Also when approximately the Salvator text is an antiphon (matins of Holy Cross) it's also mode VII, and quite different. (See https://cantus.uwaterloo.ca/chant/292596 for examples). Unless there's a source for it: I don't know.
  • Kathy
    I've heard that Pope Benedict wrote Salvator.
  • "We remember how you told us, that one time, and it was awesome and we should've wrote it down"...
  • at what point does an adaptation (in this case of a familiar chant from Good Friday, of course) become an invention like all the others? True it says mortem not crucem. , But the text is almost three same and it's obviously this same tune.

I have an issue with the adaptation in general, instead of at least making a token effort to compose new melodies, which is what was done for Christ the King. I also have an issue with using exactly the same melodic source for all three acclamations, but that's a separate issue.
  • francis
    new revision to comp... sorry David... spelt your name wrong...

PS... Chapman and I go back a long way!
  • chonakchonak
    As far as I can tell, singing this little refrain in place of the approved memorial acclamations was always against the liturgical norms.

The 2011 Missal rollout just provided an opportunity to present the norm gently as if it were a new rule, in the hope of getting people to cooperate better.
  • this little refrain i

Haugen's or Francis' Koerber's