Benedictines...they do so much good for church music...
  • noel jones, aagonoel jones, aago
    And then we have this news release, just out:

Connecting Rock Music and Theology
    Unique blog stems from project sponsored by Liturgical Press

COLLEGEVILLE, MINNESOTA—Liturgical Press is pleased to announce the launch of rockandtheology.com, a
    blog that explores the relationship between rock music and academic theology.
    No matter where one’s interests lie, they usually have a way of running into each other. In Tom Beaudoin’s case,
    his two main passions not only came together, but ended up fitting unexpectedly well.

Beaudoin is a professor of theology and has been playing bass guitar in rock bands since 1985. He knows others
    in the field with his same interest in music and always wondered how they “lived” in both rock and theology.
    After seeing a 2007 story on the rock musician persona of Notker Wolf, OSB, Abbot Primate of the Benedictine
    Confederation of the Order of Saint Benedict, he was inspired to pursue a deeper integration of the two. Knowing
    the strong Benedictine heritage behind Liturgical Press, Beaudoin presented his idea for an ongoing conversation
    of identity between all who consider themselves part theologian, part rocker. His Rock and Theology Project and
    its first real product, the Rock and Theology Blog, are sponsored by Liturgical Press.

Two years after Beaudoin’s inspiration for the overall project, the Rock and Theology Blog is now live and filled
    with insightful entries by himself, “band mates” Brian Robinette and Michael Iafrate, and other contributors.
    And according to Beaudoin, “[T]here’s more to come. We hope the blog will be a place to ask how faith and
    culture constellate, how contemporary social embodiment comes to be spiritual-religious, by cycling through
    the cultures of rock and theology. To discover new pleasures in theology and secular music, however difficult the
    lessons of those pleasures for what we thought theology and rock had to be. And to test, as a blog, the virtues of
    the ephemeral for all of us who live engulfed by the worldly and the spiritual.”
    Join in the ongoing conversation at www.rockandtheology.com.

Tom Beaudoin is associate professor of theology in the Graduate School of Religion at Fordham University in New
    York City. He is the author of Virtual Faith (Jossey-Bass/Simon and Schuster, 1998), Consuming Faith (Rowman
    and Littlefield/Sheed and Ward, 2003), and Witness to Dispossession: The Vocation of a Postmodern Theologian
    (Orbis, 2008), and many chapters, essays, and articles on theology and culture. He is also at work on a project
    on Catholics in practical theology. His most recent music was with the San Jose-based band Speedwalker, for
    whom he was the bassist from 2005-2008.

Michael Iafrate is a theology student and musician originally from West Virginia. He has been active in inde-
    pendent music circles for about 15 years, playing in such bands as The Minus Tide, M Iafrate & The Priesthood,
    Drown Culture and COBRA. His master’s degree in theology is from Wheeling Jesuit University and he is current-
    ly pursuing a doctorate in theology at the University of St. Michael’s College at the Toronto School of Theology.
    Brian Robinette is associate professor of theology at Saint Louis University, and the author of Grammars of
    Resurrection: A Christian Theology of Presence and Absence (Herder and Herder/Crossroad, 2009) and several
    articles on christology and mysticism. He is currently the drummer for the Saint Louis-based band West of Sky.
  • mjballoumjballou
    This press release is so laden with catch phrases and buzz words that it makes for turgid reading. Imagine what the blog will be like.

I think I'll go "constellate," whatever the heck that means.
  • GavinGavin
    Where does it say this has anything to do with church music? Where does it say these people want rock music in the Mass? I missed that part. As I understand it, it seems they're trying to blend rock music with Catholic academic theology, which is... an interesting endeavor. Not something that would interest me, as the terms "good rocker" and "professor of Catholic higher theology" generally don't go together. On the other hand, if it bothers the old people, I'm all for it.

But let's not pretend people making Catholic culture a little less boring are setting out to destroy the liturgy.
    Gavin, they propose:

"To discover new pleasures in theology and secular music,"

And you do not find anything remotely wrong about this? There has always been a distinction between the Sacred and the Profane. Rock really promotes, like daytime soap operas, the secular lifestyle. The Church has known this for centuries.

We have dealt with the agony of secular-style music at the Mass. I can just see constellating as being a euphemism....
  • Donnaswan
    What the heck does the phrase 'How faith and culture constellate' mean, anyway. This whole thing strikes me as trying to mix oil and water- it'll never happen.
    Donna Swan
  • miacoyne
    This is what Cardinal Ratzinger said;

“Rock”, on the other hand, is the expression of elemental passions, and at rock festivals it assumes a cultic character, a form of worship, in fact, in opposition to Christian worship. People are, so to speak, released from themselves by the experience of being part of a crowd and by the emotional shock of rhythm, noise, and special lighting effects. However, in the ecstasy of having all their defenses torn down, the participants sink, as it were, beneath the elemental force of the universe. The music of the Holy Spirit’s sober ine­briation seems to have little chance when self has become a prison, the mind is a shackle, and breaking out from both appears as a true promise of redemption that can be tasted at least for a few moments. [The Spirit of the Liturgy, (SF, CA: Ignatius, 2000), p 148]
  • francis
    mia:

I was looking for that excerpt! I posted something else on their blog, but this is much more fitting. Put it on their site!
  • miacoyne
    I did. I hope it helps. Can't believe things people come up with and try to reason. With that much noise one can really hear God? and try to build chaos to experience 'Holy'? I'll pray they''ll find a better way to find God, understand Him and help others.
  • Charles in CenCA
    "There has always been a distinction between the Sacred and the Profane." FNJ

"The interaction of the sacred and secular in music came to an important point with the Renaissance Mass, in which a secular piece...could be the basis of a Mass. This is often cited as evidence of a lack of distinction between sacred and secular...but I would contend that is evidence of a more important process. A Mass based upon a tune such as 'L'Homme arme,' incorportates that tune in long notes-a cantus firmus, and in an intricate and learned polyphonic texture. It is no longer just the tune, but part of a larger whole, whose sacred character is unmistakable. Thus, the secular has been sacralized, turned to a sacred purpose through an apt stylistic transformation." ______?

I'm just having fun, Frogman, no intent other than irony. Apples v. oranges, I know. The most provocative thing about your original post is the title's association with the Benectines. Now that is a biting liqueur a bit difficult to swallow!
    Fun is good.
  • chonakchonak
    From what I could make out, nothing on the blog is about bringing rock music into church, so feel free to breathe a sigh of relief.

So far. :-)

One of the writers on that blog actually touches on a point that many of us would endorse. He speaks of the "DIY" (do-it-yourself) culture of punk rock as a rebellion against middle-class consumer culture in which music is a product, marketed to be "consumed". That sort of skepticism about commercially produced music shows up here on the forum from time to time. Alas, the writer didn't say anything more on the subject, so I can't point out to you any really substantive comments there.
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    It would appear that there are those from within the order who would like to undermine the credibility of the Benedictines just as the Jesuits have so cleverly shot their toes clean off.

First Rembert Weakland's various scandals culminating in his book where he proclaims his SSA, and wherein he refuses to be a victim (despite the considerable list of victims he's left in his wake); now this nonsense disguising itself as intellectual progress and originality.
  • GavinGavin
    Anyone here who doesn't like ANY secular music? Rock? Techno? Swing? Wagner? Berlioz? I'm not a monk or a Calvinist Puritan, so I do like my secular music, which includes some of the above-mentioned. When it comes to worldly amusements, I quote Luther: "It is better to think of church in the ale-house than to think of ale in the church." Something about Roman Catholic culture tells me that the non-killjoys would have no problem with this project.
  • Charles in CenCA
    So, no one filled in my blank, the author of the quote?
    William Mahrt, SACRED MUSIC, Winter 2008

BTW, has anyone noticed the amazing "Smoking Gun" article about Weakland/Dieckman and the advent of "Hootenanny Masses" at Catholic universities over at "Confessions of a Recovering Choir Director?" Speaking of that particular Benedictine....
  • Donnaswan
    I'm still wanting to hear an explanation of the phrase 'How faith and culture constellate '
    Donna
  • gregpgregp
    Donna, I think the neo-Aristotilean John Lennon put it best: "And we all shine on, and the moon, and the stars, and the sun..." I think that was in his second treatise on Nichomachean Ethics.
  • Donnaswan
    gregp Thank you for your "enlightening" explanation. It was just that I never realized there was a verb form of the word 'constellation'. All is now clear as a night sky in Kansas. :)

Donna
  • Is 'constellate' related to Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds?
    I thought the real Aristotle posted in here.
    What's with this neo-Aristotilian business?
  • Donnaswan
    Would that Aristotle could be living at this hour
    :)

Donna
  • chonakchonak
    By the way, there's something wrong if you can't get an audience for your blog without having a publisher issue a press release. Corporate shills issue press releases. What could be more contrary to meaning of the internet? Blogs are the voices of individuals.

You get readers for a blog (1) by word of mouth; (2) by being mentioned on other people's blogs; and (3) by writing intelligent comments on other people's blogs and leaving a link to your own. In short, by the merit of your writing.

Which explains why they issued a press release.
  • francis
    "Is 'constellate' related to Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds?"

No, It's Mary in heaven with Jesus.
  • CharlesW
    Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. Isn't that the one that goes,

"Somebody calls you, you answer quite slowly,
    A girl with colitis goes by."
  • francis
    Don't know, but I want to try a marshmallow pie.