Responsorial Psalm from the Loft or Ambo?
  • mjballoumjballou
    This question is for those with choir lofts a considerable distance from the sanctuary. Where is your cantor? Upstairs or down? What about the Gospel Acclamation?

Thanks.
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    I have come to prefer the loft - especially when the accompaniment instrument is there. If the music is properly written and played, the segue from verse to antiphon should be audible and make musical sense. Music is, after all, the "universal language"! Any responsorial composition that does not include a natural, musical segue is ready to perform with a congregation, not should ever be published.
  • Charles in CenCA
    If I recall from the GIRM, MJB, the ambo is specified as the ideal, but the document adds the proviso "or another suitable location." for the RP and the GA. If the best singing psalmist is "bound" to the console, sing from the console rather than have a lesser equipped singer at the ambo.
  • Felipe Gasper
    IMO, if your best psalmist cannot sing the resp. psalm from the ambo, it is better to sing an easier setting of the psalm than to have him/her sing from the loft.

Responsorial music does better, IMO, when there is a visual cue for when to sing the response.
    Sorry. I simply abhor visual cues. The musical transition should be obvious, and the organist can shift manuals to change from accompanying to leading.

And it's just as bad when reciting it. The local army of lectors have been taught to raise one hand. This also means they don't need to study their inflection at punctuations. It's so nice when the seminarians return for the summer. They don't even need to raise their eyes toward the congregation, much less raise a hand. You KNOW when they complete a sentence, and it's your turn to respond.

Raising a hand in a visible location means a sloppy performance either musically or not. It could also indicate a lack of understanding on the composer's part, or even on the part of those responsible for dividing up the Psalm and what translation to use. The whole thing is generally very clumsy.
  • incantuincantu
    I agree with Steve on this one. Once a congregation begins to expect a visual cue, they have taken a major step closer to not even being able to sing a hymn without someone standing in front of them. What a cantor can do to "lead" a hymn which isn't done better from the organ, I have no idea. At best the congregation can sing whatever the cantor has sung a split second (or longer) later.
  • Frankly, the aesthetics and implied ecclesiology of the amplified cantor (both for psalms and other liturgical music), the lay 'Extraordinary Minister', the reader substituting for an instituted lector, and the robed girl altar server have helped convince me that I have no further energy to contribute professionally to the vernacular Novus Ordo. I say this after working in as good a setting as one is likely to find, especially in terms of the liturgical and musical goals of the clergy. I've usually not found myself gravitating to statements that include phrases like 'Bugnini liturgy', but I'm beginning to cosy up to such a way of thinking.
  • miacoyne
    Daniel. I heard your parish is having a traditional mass on Ascension Thursday. Would your parish maybe do more Traditional mass? Do you have a priest who can do it?
  • mjballoumjballou
    Thanks for the thoughts. While I have no say in this, I'm perfectly happy to keep everyone in the loft. And mostly the verses are sung with the Respond & Acclaim (don't waste your time saying how awful these are or that you love them) SATB. And when I'm not blasting the organ (smile), I do hear the congregation singing the response.

Weddings operate less successfully, but I'm not convinced that sending a singer approximately half a city block away would get people to sing anyway. I've experienced a few exceptions, but mostly I find wedding guests at the Mass are, to quote Ephrem, "mute as fish."

And yes, I'm aware of the escape clause in the GIRM.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    The GIRM (with adaptations for the United States) does not specify a preference, with regard to where the Psalms should be sung.

It says, "The psalmist, or the cantor of the Psalm, sings the verses of the Psalm from the ambo or another suitable place."
  • CharlesW
    A plague on cantors in the ambo! Dressed in diaphanous blouses, and with upraised arms, one would think we were being attacked by Les Miz wannabes. BTW, has anyone ever seen a skinny cantor? They are rare in these parts. Our ambo is half a block away, so I keep the cantors in the back. The pastor doesn't want them in the front to begin with. So it works well to have them in the loft, staying with the organ, and not making a distracting spectacle of themselves. There's something about that ambo that brings out the ham in even the best cantors.
  • mjballoumjballou
    Having found myself at the ambo in the past, I know what CharlesW is talking about. All those faces out there, waiting for me to sing. More intoxicating to a performer than Dangerous Moonlight. I'm quite restrained when I cantor from the bench.
  • darth_linux
    from Sing To The Lord, #38
    "At times, it may be appropriate to use a modest gesture that invites participation and clearly indicates when the congregation is to begin, but gestures should be used sparingly and only when genuinely needed."

I'm cantoring in a couple of weeks and I need to have this line memorized, because some of the other cantors look like they are directing a plane taxi-ing on the runway or something when they give the "signal." Our DoM seems to think that is "just really helpful." . . . ugh.
  • henry
    Our cantors used to sing the whole Mass from the Sanctuary. A year ago, they started singing only the Psalm from the ambo, then walking around the rear of the rererdos to sing the Gospel Acclamation from another microphone (on the other side of the Sanctuary). They go down after the Gloria and return to the loft after the reading of the Gospel. It has worked very well.
  • GavinGavin
    At my last parish, I recognized the GIRM's preference to have the psalm from the ambo (Jeff: "ambo" comes first, ergo it's preferred), but due to the impracticality of it I used the loft and a microphone for my cantors. These were the reasons:

- Time delay, even in a small space.
    - Communication with cantors before and even during a psalm.
    - Choristers who cantored (choir was in the loft)
    - Increased the number of cantors due to folks who refused to join due to having to be up front.

I would prefer an ambo, because the GIRM does. But at the same time I find it impractical, so I use the loft. I should add that the microphone is used to sing over the organ, and I made a point to the cantors that 1) they are to assist the voice, not to fill the whole church and 2) that they should take a step back during the response so as not to be heard by the congregation, the silence from the cantor being their cue to sing.

I actually don't mind arm gestures by cantor, although I think a simple raising of the eyes from the music will accomplish a cue just as well. I also think a good long breath by the organ is all the cue anyone needs, and much playing has demonstrated this.
  • Bruce E. Ford
    Although our choir sings from the west gallery, the psalmist dons cassock and surplice and goes to the ambo to sing the psalm. The verses are sung to psalm tones and the refrains are sung to simple antiphon melodies.
    The text of the psalm is printed in full in the service leaflet, with "All repeat refrain" inserted wherever the people are to respond. Gestures are not used.

If at all possible, the psalm should be sung from the ambo--not merely because GIRM says so, but because tradition and reason both support its being sung there. The psalm entered the Liturgy of the Word as a lesson, and even in the late Middle Ages the cantor (or cantors) intoned the gradual and sang the verse from a lectern.

When ambones and lecterns largely ceased to be used for the Epistle and Gospel in the Roman rite, they ceased to be used for the gradual. The return of the lessons (including the psalm) to the ambo in the post-Conciliar reform constituted the restoration of a thoroughly reasonable and laudable tradition.
  • noel jones, aagonoel jones, aago
    30 years ago churches agonized over whether to order WORSHIP with or without the readings.

Now, everyone sits at Mass reading from the cheap paper missals, eyes downward. We've gone from people actively listening to scripture to people passively sitting and reading along.

Since they are reading, if only to find out how long the psalm is going to last, there is no reason for a cantor to do anything...people, they aren't looking, waiting for you to flop your arms...

I can prove it. This Sunday, DO NOT WAVE YOUR ARMS when it is time for them to sing. The singing will be no better or worse than it is.

Do not take away their missals. We have to have active participation.

I'm with Jeff. The GIRM permits it to be sung from the AMBO, and does not encourage it.

PS: I did a google on GIRM psalm ambo and got this:

http://www.geocities.com/sacredheart-vp/r-missal.htm

Someone send them a CD of chant....please.
    More confusing: http://www.romanrite.com/mim25.html

158. According to IG 309, "The readings, responsorial psalm and Easter Proclamation (Exsultet) are proclaimed only from the ambo." LM 22 says specifically that the psalm is to be sung or recited at the ambo/lectern.

159. It is surprising that this is not reflected in IG 61. This repeats GIRM 36 by saying the psalm is from the "ambo/lectern or other suitable place" - "ambone vel alio loco apto". Perhaps this is to make provision for situations where there is no ambo.

160. The psalmist should sing the psalm (IG 102). The term "cantor of the psalm" is unhelpful, because it confuses the psalmist, with the cantor who leads the hymns. According to CB 51, LM 33, GIRM 272 "the cantor should not use the ambo/lectern". But this refers to leading hymns, not the responsorial psalm. IG 309 attempts to make this clearer: "The dignity of the ambo requires that only a minister of the word should approach it".
    Gavin, I could agree if it said "ambo/lectern, OTHERWISE other suitable place." My gut feeling is that somewhere there is a cranky old priest who is tired of people from the congregation trekking up to the pulpit, where only the Gospel was proclaimed by someone who has taken upon himself Holy Orders...and now he finds women in pants, men in golfing shirts reading scripture. So he's drug his feet and prevented the GIRM to read SHOULD be sung at the AMBO or worst yet MUST be sung at the Ambo...

I'm also all for people saying the Agnus Dei and then the choir singing it while the priest receives like that famous old cranky priest says....thanks for all the great quotes, St. Cecilia Schola.
  • chonakchonak
    Hi, Noel.

I wouldn't trust that book by J.R. Lilburne at romanrite.com much.

The English GIRM translation he presents gives a meaning different from the approved translation in the US. (If it matters, he's Australian.)

Lilburne says: "158. According to IG 309, 'The readings, responsorial psalm and Easter Proclamation (Exsultet) are proclaimed only from the ambo.'"

But here's GIRM paragraph 309 from the usccb.org site: "....From the ambo only the readings, the responsorial Psalm, and the Easter Proclamation (Exsultet) are to be proclaimed; it may be used also for giving the homily and for announcing the intentions of the Prayer of the Faithful."

See the difference? The USCCB's version is a restriction on what the ambo can be used for. For example, mere "announcements" should not be made there. Lilburne's version is a restriction on where the readings and psalm may be given.

I don't think either one is correct. The Latin is: "Ex ambone unice proferuntur lectiones, psalmus responsorius atque præconium paschale; item proferri possunt homilia et intentiones orationis universalis."

I'd translate that as: "From the one ambo are presented the readings, the responsorial psalm, and the Exsultet;...."

So it's not a restriction on anything. It's just a description of how the ambo is used.

And that makes sense: Paragraph 309 is part of the GIRM's instructions on church furnishings, not the GIRM's instructions on the presentation of the Responsorial Psalm. It's not meant to be a binding instruction on how to present the R.P.

GIRM 61 does say, "at the ambo or another suitable place", so using the loft is fine.
  • miacoyne
    We have the psalmist sing from the ambo, although s/he has to walk quite a distance. The reason is because it's part of the 'Liturgy of the Word' and proclaimed from the same place, 'ambo', as the other Readings. We also moved announcements to the other microphone, not from the same place as the 'Readings' are done.

Maybe Gradual and RP are considered different, although they are at the same place in the liturgy? Gradual being a Proper and response to the Epistle, and RP as another Reading?
  • Bruce E. Ford
    Miacoyne wrote: "Maybe Gradual and RP are considered different, although they are at the same place in the liturgy? Gradual being a Proper and response to the Epistle, and RP as another Reading?"

Nevertheless, throughout the Middle Ages the gradual (in its developed form) was sung from an ambo or lectern. See Ordo Romanus I and (as an example) the rubrics of the Sarum Missal.
  • miacoyne
    So the Gradual should be done by a solo, at the ambo or lectern, not by the whole schola according to the tradition, even in EF?
  • Ralph BednarzRalph Bednarz
    Most of our responsorial psalms are lead from the loft. But after recently attending a confirmation at another church where the psalm was also lead from from the loft( not that there's anything wrong with it), I have changed my mind. I was surprised at my reaction.It seemed like I was conversing with someone who was too busy to be in the room with his guest.
    Therefore we are singing our psalms acapella to the tones and will be moving to the front.
  • Felipe Gasper
    How many of you decrying the use of a visual cue for the assembly to sing would deny your choir the same advantage?

I can see eschewing a visual cue if you’re singing a hymn; the verses will be long enough that people can enter a bit sloppily, get their bearings over the first bar or two, and still have a substantial amount of melody to sing before the end of the strophe.

In the case of the responsorial psalm, I can see getting rid of the cue if the assembly is reading the psalm internally along with the cantor’s vocal proclamation of same. That said, I am used to being told (have not looking into it much) that it is less preferred to have congregations reading along with the lector.

Responsorial psalm responses are usually short, and sometimes verses are of uneven length. ISTM this is enough justification for regular use of a gesture to bring the assembly in. I suppose I could see omitting the gesture....I am just so used to it.
  • chonakchonak
    Ralph wrote:
    It seemed like I was conversing with someone who was too busy to be in the room with his guest.

I guess this shows how variously people can look at the same situation. I think of a cantor in the loft as part of the congregation, as being "with" the congregation. But to each his own sensibility.

--

At a Mass Tuesday evening, I saw a cantor whose gestures were a bit too habitual. She read the first Scripture passage at the Mass, chanted "Verbum Domini"; and gave a raised-arm gesture to cue the congregation's response "Deo gratias". It was overkill.
  • priorstf
    Our church has no loft, and the choir is seated stage left. Psalms are sung from the Ambo, Alleluias from a lectern. As a cantor, I use minimal arm motions to cue the congregation during the Psalm and Alleluia, and none during the ordinary. (If they don't know when to sing the Pompous Amen after 40 years, who am I to break it to them?)

Many people do read along during the P&A, which is fine with me. I'm confident that I project well, but educational studies have demonstrated that different people have different styles by which they learn. And some people just don't hear so well.

Using the cue of looking up from the music doesn't work that well, because I try to look at the congregation while I proclaim the readings. I do actually rehearse a number of times, then retype the words in 24pt font so that even with my Mr Magoo eyesight I can glance down occasionally and return my attention to the people. My voice, along with a slight change in the organ registry, seems to cue most folks just fine, though I will make a slight gesture for those who need the visual.

I'm often amused by those people who do listen but fall into an autopilot pattern of strophe:response::2:1. When the Psalm occasionally has a 3 strophe verse they are caught by surprise and start to join in at the wrong moment. For the next week or so they join the readers! :)
  • What the details of this discussion--not the intentions or insight of the discussants--illustrate most is the profound aesthetic failure of the Ordinary Form.
    "Aesthetic failure" - what kind words!

On the tangent of "Pompous Amen", this may indicate one of my real pet peeves - the tempo of the "Amen" as it relates to the prayer preceding it. Let's, please, keep the officiant's tempo! No more of this "...through Christ our Lord.", (pause), "Aaaaahhhhhh - mmmeeeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnn"! It's just a bad as a cantor going into operatic mode on the "Alleluia"!
  • I wonder if the biggest reason that the hand gestures came to be relied upon is that the responses and litanies became so unpredictable. It happens very frequently that the psalmist sings the response twice before expecting the congregation to join in and sing it twice, even if that's not how the music is printed. The music itself is often part of the problem.
  • It's relevant in any detailed and thorough discussion to assess the fundamental value and worthiness of the 'subject' to which the details belong. I say 'subject' not to mean that this discussion is not worthwhile but that the English-language OF/NO is quite probably not worthy of knowledge and creativity being brought to bear on it here. If what has been propagated is a cover of fast-growing, softwood trees rather than an old-growth hardwood forest, the examination of any one tree might be less than useful.

I should have prefaced my 'Pompous Amen' by with a label such as 'A proposition for discussion'.
  • Bruce E. Ford
    Micoyne wrote: "So the Gradual should be done by a solo, at the ambo or lectern, not by the whole schola according to the tradition, even in EF?"

First, it was the gradual VERSE that was traditionally sung from the ambo or from a lectern. The respond was sung by the whole choir.

Second, although I know that the 1962 rubrics permit the Epistle and Gospel to be sung from an ambo or lectern, I am not at all sure that they allow the gradual to be sung from an ambo or lectern. Perhaps not. In the modern rite it would surely be permissible.
  • paul
    For my two cents worth, I think if you look at the GIRM you get the idea that two ministers are involved--the psalmist and the cantor. The psalmist proclaims the psalm from the ambo, the cantor leads the assembly from the cantor stand. Now, if there is no psalmist, the cantor can also proclaim the psalm, but the cantor doesn't all of a sudden become the psalmist. The cantor stays where they belong because they will also be leading the assembly's response. Raising arms to bring in the assembly isn't appropriate business for the ambo, but it's standard activity for a cantor. Churches that use cantors at the ambo probably also do the announcements from the ambo too.......
  • Bruce:

Regarding your psalmist donning cassock and surplice, you might take a look at USCCB's "Music in Divine Worship", section 36.3: "Cassock and surplice, being clerical attire, are not recommended as vesture for the psalmist." The practice has been to allow altar servers to wear cassock and surplice because they are performing in lieu of the proper clerical persons for those functions (acolyte or subdeacon), i.e., they are performing a clerical function. This is not the case with a psalmist.

Paul:

I agree that the GIRM and more recently "Music in Divine Worship" envisions two separate roles, psalmist and cantor. In reference to the Psalmist, see MiDW 34.3, "Although this ministry is distinct from the role of the cantor, the two ministries are often entrusted to the same person." And actually, the cantor, functioning as the psalmist, should NOT stay where they belong (at a lecturn), inasmuch as the Liturgy of the Word is properly proclaimed from the ambo, which is why it is given preference for the location from which the psalm is sung (other locations being PERMISSIBLE). I completely agree with your take on the inappropriateness of raising the arms from the ambo, as this should only be done WHEN NECESSARY. Most congregations are well aware of the psalms' responsorial nature at this point, and as has been pointed out, musical cues can be given to facilitate their readiness to sing the response.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    (Jeff: "ambo" comes first, ergo it's preferred)

Linguistically, this is simply not true.

Had the GIRM said, "Other practices are tolerated," I would agree with you. But the GIRM says, "The psalmist, or the cantor of the Psalm, sings the verses of the Psalm from the ambo or another suitable place."

Applying the same logic, if what you're claiming were true, the GIRM prefers a "psalmist" to a "cantor," which I highly doubt.

Do you have any Church documentation to back what you are claiming, Gavin?

The ambo is not very practical for many settings of the Responsorial Psalm, especially those with organ, but it works rather well for chant versions, such as can be found on . . . (I won't say it!).
  • Donnaswan
    Daniel,Why is the ambo not very practical for many settings of the ResPs, esp those with organ. In our church, the organ can be heard just as well from the Ambo as from the Cantor stand. Just wondering
    Donna
  • CharlesW
    I am essentially stuck, for the time being, with the psalm settings in RitualSong. Believe me, there have been days when I wished the psalm could be sung from outside the building.
    The contemporary group leader sings the psalm from the with great success, and the people really, really sing when he does so. And I have heard about this for the last 3 years....

Recently we collaborated and I got to see this in action...and he's up there and the people really do sing.

Here's why. He sings the psalm antiphons to his own melodies if the ones in breaking bread are not easily singable. And he uses the same melodic forms repeatedly. So what we have at his Masses is the musical equivalent of the Simplex seasonal psalms to the text of the lectionary psalms and it works.

But being at the ambo has nothing to do with it.
  • Heath
    I'd like to try to revive this thread, only to hear responses to the following:

"seroteamavi" mentioned the quote in SttL about cantors wearing a cassock and surplice. I feel like there was a discussion about this when the document came out where many disagreed with this statement . . .

Jeff pointed out that "from the ambo or another suitable place" doesn't necessarily point out a hierarchy. I was taught the same as Gavin, though, that the order in most liturgical documents did point out preferences. Can someone else give their thoughts?
  • miacoyne
    Well, then the 4 options of chants? Are they not in order of preferences? "Other suitable songs' are as good as "Propers" in OF according to the documents?
  • chonakchonak
    Well, if a list has two items, something has to be listed second, so it would be unreasonable to take that as implying an order of preference. "Other" is always going to be the last item on a list.

On the other hand, if the list is: "A, B, C, or other"; then the author had options. He could have written: "C, A, B, or other". So it's reasonable to perceive an order of preference.

But it's only a preference. It's not a duty. You don't have to have a strong justification to skip A and use B.
  • gsmisek
    "Other" is always going to be the last item on a list.

Not necessarily. If the ambo were merely one possibility among many, without preference, the GIRM could have stated something like: "The psalmist, or the cantor of the Psalm, sings the verses of the Psalm from a suitable place, not excluding the ambo."

In Church law, including liturgical law, where a priority or preference is intended, items are customarily listed in order from highest priority / most preferred to lowest priority / least preferred. The trick, however, is to figure out whether a preferential order was intended for any given list.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Ioannes Andreades writes: "It happens very frequently that the psalmist sings the response twice before expecting the congregation to join in and sing it twice, even if that's not how the music is printed."

Hmm, I thought you meant the "Celtic alleluia" until I noticed the last part of the sentence. We're in front of the congregation, but usually I limit gestures to a good breath and an expectant smile; the organ 'breathes' the congregation with a pedal note. For dangerous AA' alleluias I either take a catch-breath or, if someone else is intoning, make a point of checking whether my shoes are tied.

I'm curious now whether it is licit to print pointing and have the congregation sing the verses. We use Guimont, except for Easter Vigil when it's too dark to confuse anyone.
    Licit? You must be kidding! Why on earth would it not be licit for the congregation to sing anything that was not strictly the Priest's part?

No, it's not traditional - at least in our tradition. What about monks in monasteries? They all join in. What about our own Colloquium - where the attendees make up the entire congregation?

During my 16 years at Our Lady of Walsingham, the congregation sang the verses all the time - at least the Gradual and Alleluya, sometimes more. And they joined in, with pointing, text, and music in front of them, Anglican chant, and some even picked harmony parts to sing.

On the one hand, I don't think we need to push the congregation to chant verses. But on the other hand, let's not get into the modern liturgists' habit of constantly underestimating the capabilities of the congregation.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Ach Steve, since that first time I was forced to sing the sequence before the alleluia I've come to mistrust my common sense.

But if a 'psalmist' is dispensable, would 'a suitable place' to intone a pitch extend to a pew? Intoning the 'refrain' seems a different question than where to proclaim the verses from anyway. We often have the choir sing verses with their backs to the congregation, which dissatisfies me though the choir enjoys feeling part of the people.

I havnt been to the Colloquium, but I don't picture a conductor at the ambo...
    No. The conductor doesn't use the ambo - any more than either the cantor or the psalmist MUST use the ambo.

At OLW, the lectern (Epistle side of Sanctuary) was used for Lessons and announcements, and the pulpit (slightly elevated and on the Gospel side of the Sanctuary) was used for the Gospel and sermon. Except for the Deacon chanting the Exultet, congregational music, responsorial or otherwise, was never lead from the front of the church. I often intoned seated at the organ console.

The requirement to chant the Sequence before the Gospel Acclamation (which is occasionally an Alleluia verse!) is just one more good reason for the return to the sanity of the EF Mass!