Help Requested - Angels We Have Heard on High
  • Drake
    I recently inherited the task of putting on a Christmas caroling event, and among the repertoire of hymns I have is a version of Angels We Have Heard on High. I know that the text and the melody are in the public domain, but I have not been able to find this particular harmonization anywhere I have searched, including CPDL, IMSLP, hymnary.org, and the internet in general. My predecessor does not know where the original is either. Is anyone here familiar with the attached piece, where it may have come from, and particularly if it is in the public domain? I'm trying to be sure all of our music is legally copied.

I can tell that it comes from page 40 of something ... but no idea what. There's no arranger mentioned, not even initials.

Why don't I just pick up one of the clearly public domain copies out there with a different harmony? Well, this is the one that the group already knows well, and the harmony is very pleasing. If it is in the public domain, I'd like to use it. Or if it is in print somewhere, I'm happy to purchase copies.

Thank you for your help!

[EDIT: Removing PDF until copyright status determined.]
  • While I cannot definitely state the copyright status or who the composer is, I lean toward the belief that it is public domain. I have sang this arrangement in high school choir off of photocopies. I know that is not really an authoritative judgement, but my high school was pretty good on trying to use legal copies of music. I wish I could provide you more than speculation, but it's the best I have.
    Thanked by 1Drake
  • It definitely looks to me like it came from an old, English hymnal. Speculation is that it is highly likely to be public domain.
    Thanked by 1Drake
  • Drake
    @tomjaw I had seen that page before, but since you mentioned it, I checked it again. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to find the same rendition among the variations there, although some are closer than others.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • SalieriSalieri
    That version comes from a collection called "Christmas in Song", which was/is a staple in High School music libraries.

The copyright given on the book is 1947. It was (is?) Published by Rubank, Inc. of Miami, FL. The arrangement might be by Theodore Preuss, the editor of the collection, or, like many of the carols in this volume, already in the Public Domain in 1947.

I do not know if this book is still in print.
    Thanked by 2Drake CHGiffen
  • Drake
    Thank you, @Salieri.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    "Christmas in Song" (Theodore Preuss, editor) was published in paperback form in 1990, and it currently can be had from Amazon for $4.99, plus shipping.
    Thanked by 1Drake
  • "Christmas in Song"! Our Christmas music parties (to be resumed after the pandemic) would be the poorer without copies of this little volume.

It's almost as critical as the homemade glogg.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • That collection is *everywhere*!
  • Drake
    Thank you to everyone, especially Salieri, for running this down and CHGiffen for the link. I've got copies on order now, and should get them in time.