Jesu, Decus Angelicum
  • Hello All,

I thought I'd share this with everyone. The original idea came when my choir was practicing Jesu Dulcis Memoria a few years ago, and alternating with Palestrina's, "Jesu Rex Admirabilis". One of the tenors of our group, not wanting to leave any group/section out, suggested I write in a fourth voice to the existing three voices...I do not touch or change art as it is, so instead I wrote in a supplemental section for that. Maybe in the near future I can write everything into one script so as to avoid jumping around from multiple papers while singing.
  • Got around to adding everything together. Should make for easier flow. Let me know what you think if you have time to look it over, I'm actually pretty happy with how the "Amen" turned out.
  • You should be happy with the whole piece: It is beautiful.
  • Gorgeous
  • francis
    It’s very nice. Congrats. Only suggestion is to have less static motion when crossing parts if possible.
    Thanked by 1sdtalley3
  • Very, very beautiful.
    Wonderfully done!

I notice that you credit 'Bernard Clairveux' with the text. That 'e' in the last syllable should be an 'a'. 'Clairvaux' is the correct spelling. This is probably just a typo on your part.

For what it's worth, though Bernard of Clairvaux has for a very long time (only since the XIIIth century or so) been credited by many with authorship of the lengthy Jesu dulcis memoria, centos of which have become hymns in their own right which are proper to vespers, matins, and lauds, current scholarship credits an anonymous English Cistercian with this hymn. The earliest manuscripts are from England, from where the hymn spread throughout Europe.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw sdtalley3
  • Thanks everyone,

yes, @M. Jackson Osborn, the typo was my fault (thought I knew better), and @francis, I'll heed the advice in the future.
  • Wonderful!

It also works for SSA if you change about four notes in the alto line.
    Thanked by 1sdtalley3
  • I generally favor the SST version, like in the rendition by the Monteverdi Choir. https://youtu.be/BXQuOQccCWA This is more what I had in mind for voicing, but yes, SSA, TTB will also work.
  • Steven,

I've just sent this piece to my two musical adult sons. Thank you for your work.
    Thanked by 1sdtalley3