Graduale Novum torculus resupinus subbipunctis
  • How do I create this neume in GABC? The example is from the offertory Recordare. (gjhiGF) is what I'm going with until I figure out how to do it.
  • Unfortunately, I wasn't able to recreate this neume... (gjh!ivGF) is the closest I get, missing the elegant line from j to h.
    Thanked by 1madorganist
  • (g@jh@iGF) produces the right shape, but the fourth note is missing the right stem. I'm stumped on this one!
    Thanked by 1smvanroode
  • At any rate, the Graduale Novum construction is curious in light of the adiastematic neumes of the manuscripts. A torculus resupinus looks nothing like what we see in E, or in SG339, SG376, SG342, or in Bamberg, a complex neume that centers on sol, echoing the two sols of "mei," which precedes "Domine." To bring that out, one would need something like (-gjhig/f!GF!D).
    Thanked by 1madorganist
  • E has a c over all of the long notes of the neume, which is reproduced in St. Gall 376; nonetheless, I think Dó(gjhqiGF__gvFD_0)mi(d_0!ewfd)ne(d_) would be a reasonable interpretation of the St. Gall notation when the various sources are taken into consideration. I'm curious about your use of the initio debilis. Is it because the neume begins in unison with the previous note, or is there another reason? I was mainly concerned with the typography itself and how to reproduce it, but I value this discussion as well!
  • Now we are at it, this is how Gregor und Taube represents the neume, which is much like Royce interpreted the adiastematic neumes.
    Thanked by 1Ralph Bednarz
  • In using initio debilis at the start of "Domine," I was imagining what I would do for an interpretive, performance edition of the score. Two reasons for its use. First, to show that it's the second sol of the neume, not the first, that governs the syllable "Do-", and second, because "mei" is the strongest word in the phrase "Recordare mei, Domine." Sol seems to be the modal tenor or dominant here, and the melody of "Domine" is a kind of flourish flowing out of "mei," rather than "mei" being a preparation for "Domine."