Proper Ritual Chants for the Ordination of Deacons
  • Paul F. Ford
    I have just scanned De Ordinatione Episcopi, Presbyterorum, et Diaconorum (editio typica altera, 1990) and here are the two chants printed in the ritual.
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    We will be singing for our diocese's ordinations to the diaconate next year as a Cathedral Chant School. Are these antiphons at the Readings and Recessional the only ones proper to the ceremony? I am seeking Introit, Offertory, and Communion chants, and/or appropriate Latin hymns.
  • chonakchonak
    Do you have a Graduale, Angela? pp. 644-645 have lists for the ritual Mass of the conferral of sacred orders: 5 Introits, 3 Graduals, 5 Alleluias, 1 Offertory, 8 Communions.
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    Ah! Perhaps I have a misunderstanding about ordinations, then. I am assuming that the ceremony for ordination to the deaconate would require different chants than that for ordination to the priesthood.
  • chonakchonak
    Well, some of the texts are more suited to specific cases than others: for example, the Introit Sacerdotes Dei, the Alleluia Juravit Dominus, and the Communion Introibo ad altare Dei are particularly fitting for priestly ordination.
  • Paul F. Ford
    Angela, Richard is right as to the choice in the Graduale Romanum (1974, reconfirmed in 1988). But the Pontificale Romanum: De Ordinatione Episcopi, Presbyterorum, et Diaconorum (editio typica altera, 1990) has four proper chants:

• the introit Qui Mihi Ministrat, (from the Graduale Simplex)

• the investiture chant Beati Qui Habitant (from the Pontificale)

• the kiss of peace chant Si Quis Mihi (from the Pontificale)

• the communion Euntes in mundum universum prædicate Evangelium: et ecce ego vobiscum sum omnibus diebus

Here they are in the official 2002 English translation of the texts.

There is no such thing as a proper recessional chant (except for the O Redemptor at the Chrism Mass, and the Pange Lingua at the Evening Mass of the Lord's Supper).
  • Paul F. Ford
    The only text we are missing in an authentic chant setting in the communion: Euntes in mundum universum prædicate Evangelium: et ecce ego vobiscum sum omnibus diebus.

(Full citation: Euntes in mundum universum prædicate Evangelium omni creaturæ: et ecce ego vobiscum sum omnibus diebus, usque ad consummationem sæculi.)

Does anyone know of such a chant?
  • Paul F. Ford
    I spoke too soon. I found two modally incompatible pieces.
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    Thanks, Paul. I made a mistake in describing that second antiphon as "recessional"; it comes just *before* the recessional. I realize there is no actual recessional chant among the propers.

So, I looked in my G.R. and L.U., and didn't see your chants listed. Do they only exist in the book you mentioned? Also, would Veni Creator Spiritus be an appropriate hymn for the deaconate?

BTW, I want to use one of your glorias at a chant Mass we'll be doing at the Peoria cathedral one Sunday in November. :)
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    ...er, I mean to inquire about Si Quis Mihi of the propers you mentioned....I see you posted two of them already.
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    BTW, is that last post in Saint Meinrad fonts? My computer doesn't recognize it.
  • Paul F. Ford
    Angela, I heavily corrected the post beginning, "Angela, Richard is right . . . " (above). This may clarify . . .

The "Euntes" is from the Antiphonale Monasticum(1934) and the "Ecce" is from an older edition of the G.R., from a Mass to honor the Eucharistic Heart of Jesus. Neither is set in any digital font.
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    Paul,

I can't open the Word-documents, so I don't know exactly which chants you found. But from your reference to the 1934 Antiphonale Monasticum I understand that it is either Euntes in mundum, alleluia, docete omnes gentes, alleluia (AM 483), or Euntes in mundum, docete omnes gentes, baptizantes eos in nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti, alleluia (AM 484). But the communion starts with Euntes in mundum universum, which is found in the new Antiphonale Monasticum (AM3 81): Euntes in mundum universum, praedicate evangelium omni creaturae, alleluia: qui crediderit et baptizatus fuerit salvus erit, alleluia, qui vero non crediderit condemnabitur, alleluia.
    The antiphon Ecce ego vobiscum should also be in the new Antiphonale Monasticum according to its index (AM3 343), but on that page is Ecce ego mitto instead.
    Could you upload the Word-files as PDF?

Steven