Baccalaureate Mass During Advent
  • I am an undergraduate at Ave Maria University and direct the Camerata, our student-led choir that sings for the masses on campus. We have been asked to sing for a baccalaureate mass in December to accompany make-up graduation ceremonies from the Spring due to COVID.

We typically use the Simple English Propers for Offertory and Communion antiphons. We will be using the Hassler MIssa secunda for the Ordinaries. We are waiting for the celebrant to inform us if we will be singing the Gloria since it would be his decision during Advent whether to include it. We are singing Jesus my Lord, my God, my all! (SWEET SACRAMENT) for Communion Hymn, the Byrd Non nobis Domine for meditation, and Immaculate Mary for recessional.

My struggle has been with choosing a processional piece and an entrance hymn. I have read from various sources that the solo organ generally isn't used during penitential seasons but that there are some circumstances for exemptions. I really would like to sing O God Beyond All Praising (THAXTED) but I don't know if it is appropriate during Advent.

Please advise!

Thank you
  • GambaGamba
    Hi!

What date is the Mass? That is going to impact your choices in a big way. If it’s on a Sunday, or a weekday between 17-24 December, only the proper Advent Masses can be celebrated – those days rank too highly to celebrate a votive Mass, which is the only way you could have a Gloria unless it’s on a Solemnity.

I think the Mass that is actually being celebrated will have to be the guide for what is done. If it’s a Votive of the Holy Spirit or of the BVM or the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception or some other thing, then do music appropriate for that. If it’s Advent, it’s Advent.
  • @Gamba: The Mass will be on December 5th. They haven't clarified which votive Mass they will be using (which has also delayed the selection of the Propers...). What would you say about the processional and entrance hymn for the use of the votive Mass?
  • chonakchonak
    The recessional hymn is not an official part of the Mass; it's not mentioned in the GIRM at all, so you can sing the THAXTED hymn then without worrying that you'd be displacing some music that is particularly suited to the Mass. Also, there is the provision for an optional hymn after Holy Communion, per GIRM para. 88; so either of those times would be good points at which to sing it.

At what time of day will the Mass be offered? If it's in the late afternoon, it may end up being offered with the Sunday readings and propers.

A lovely hymn you might use instead of THAXTED is "How shall I sing that majesty?", with the tune COE FEN. (That recording is from the 2015 CMAA Colloquium.) The text is public domain, but to print the tune in the program requires permission, which you can get through the "One License" service; maybe the university subscribes.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen trephill27