"Ego sum pastor" vs. "Ego sum vitis"
  • Heath
    It's no secret that one was clearly influenced by the other, as the paraphrasing is all over the place, despite the different mode.

What's the deal with this? Were they composed around the same time? Was "vitis" composed recently (it's not in my Liber, therefore it wasn't in the "Old rite" presumably)?
  • Felipe Gasper
    It’s notated in the Ordo Cantus Missæ, with an attribution “Sext. BCKS”.

Anyone know what that attribution means??
  • dvalerio
    > it's not in my Liber, therefore it wasn't in the "Old rite" presumably

Beware of that reasoning. Many chants not found in the LU did belong to the «Old rite» (as you call it) and could be found in the Graduale Romanum, the Antiphonale Romanum, some other unofficial chant book, or were not yet published.

This particular communion, however, is indeed missing from the 1962 Missale Romanum.

> BCKS

That's the list of some ancient neumeless medieval manuscripts (giving only the words of the chants) where this particular chant occurs. (I don't have my GT here, so I can't tell you which mss. are those.) I guess «Sext.» is a reference to the Antiphonale Missarum Sextuplex (prepared by René-Jean Hesbert), that lists the earliest sources of (nearly!) all the chants for the Mass of the Gregorian repertory (and that attributed those letters to the manuscripts in question).

> Was "vitis" composed recently?

In face of the above, no.
  • dvalerio
    The communion chant Ego sum vitis can be found in p. 455 of the 1950 Graduale for the Dominican Rite (for St. Mark Evangelist).
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    It is so interesting that they are so similar. It sort of causes one to do a double take, like liturgical deja vu.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    If you really want to freak yourself out, look at "Dum Venerit" (from the corresponding EF feast) ---- the melody is practically the same. Liber Usualis page 828 (PDF page 1014)
  • dvalerio
    I believe only the first member (until «palmites» or «alleluia») is similar, and the recourse to phrase migration from one chant to another is something not unheard of in Communions. Furthermore, while «Ego sum vitis» is classified as a plagal Tetrardus, this member sounds like mode IV transposed (I will gladly stand corrected if I'm wrong), and the chant keeps sounding like that nearly until the end; only at the very last moment will it switch to mode VIII. Concerning that, Apel says that «The most remarkable aspect of the Communions is their tonal behavior. No other type of chant includes such a large percentage of melodies showing tonal instability and, as a result, ambiguity of modal assignment.» (p. 312)
  • incantuincantu
    isn't "Panem de caelo" the same as "Requiem aeternam"? And how many times do we find Dominus as s s-l-s s (or r r-m-r r)? It's always fun discovering these familiar fragments, but rarely do we have such similar texts as wil the Ego sum's.