Doubled Note before Quilisma - Old Solesmes
  • In the verse of the gradual for the Seventeenth Sunday after Pentecost, there is a quilisma preceded by a doubled note at the beginning of the word omnis. According to the rules of the Solesmes method, the ictus falls at the beginning of the doubled note, therefore the note immediately preceding the quilisma does not call for a repercussion/rearticulation.
    I examined the modern notation edition of the Liber as well as the accompaniments by Bragers and Potiron, all of which normally mark the note preceding the quilisma with a horizontal episema, but it is lacking in this case in all three of those books. Is there no lengthening of the note before the quilisma here? I am aware that the Vatican and Solesmes editions do not correspond to oldest manuscripts. The question is specifically about whether this and similar instances (if any) are addressed in the Solesmes method.
    224 x 87 - 5K
  • I don't find an explanation of this particular case. In general, if you would usually express the quilisma by lengthen the preceding note, I suggest either a) just sing the double note, followed by the quilisma without additional lengthening, or b) move the ictus to the note before the quilisma, and treat the first three notes as a group of three, with a slight, barely perceptible repercussion between the two groups.
    Thanked by 2madorganist CHGiffen