Prayer of St. Michael
  • sadiefair
    Does anyone out there have, or know where I can locate, a musical setting for the prayer of St. Michael? Preference would be a chant setting, but any simple setting that would work well with an extraordinary rite Mass would be fine. Thanks.
  • rich_enough
    With the text in Latin?
  • Charles in CenCA
    I wrote a setting a year or so ago. I could send you a pdf if you could leave address.
  • JDE
    I would like to peruse that too, please, Charles.

yurodivi // a / t // e x c i t e d o t c o m .

Sorry to be cryptic -- i just hate spam.
  • mjballoumjballou
    Me too, please. My address is in the profile section because I just can't get enough spam.
  • While I cannot vouch for the quality of composition, the Gift of Faith Foundation sponsored a contest back in 2007 for musical settings of the St. Michael Prayer. Perhaps an inquiry to the foundation would be fruitful.
  • rich_enough
    I know Paul Jernberg, the composer of the winner of the competition sponsored by the Gift of Faith Foundation, and could ask if he (or I) could send you a copy. The setting is in English. I have sung the piece - it is a straightforward setting of the text for SATB choir (though you could have it sung by unison chorus with accompaniment) and well worth doing.

Sam Schmitt
  • Charles in CenCA
    Jenny, that "contest" was why I set the prayer on behalf of a parishioner request. Mine didn't win. I'm glad to know who did. Yurodivi, I'll do that, and I'm very glad to know how to list an address in such fori without inviting spam, so thank you. Ditto MJB.
    Before I send them, I need to tell you about its origin- this gentleman parishioner is the brother of a wonderful priest at my old parish up in Oakland Diocese. He approached me about the contest, telling me a melody for the prayer came to him in a dream. Trouble was, the gentleman is fairly tone-deaf. All I could discern was an ascending P4th, the rest sonic gibberjab. So, after a few more futile attempts at fleshing his dream tune, I assured him I could work with what he'd provided. The result is a fairly utilitarian hymn; so don't expect high art. But I don't disavow its humble intent.
    C
  • sadiefair
    Thanks all...please send me whatever you have...I can never have too much music! My email is danddgray@hotmail.com. Thanks again!