Real Websites and Fake Websites
  • chonakchonak
    What an odd thing to write about!

I just added a little box to the main CMAA web site with this message:

We found out a few days ago that somebody has copied a bunch of journal PDF files from our site, and has set up their own web site with CMAA's logos, trying to pass it off as ours. They also took articles from another academic music journal, not related to CMAA, and posted them on the same site.

They've contacted at least two companies that index journals and tried to tell them to read Sacred Music from the scam site. I'm not going to post a link here, because it would promote them, and I don't want to encourage people to connect to their scam site, which might be virus-infested or otherwise hazardous to users.

I wonder what they think they are going to gain by this. Maybe they are planning to put ads on their site and make money! Maybe it is a nefarious plot to spread computer malware to Catholic church musicians! Maybe the scammers are wasting their time! After all, we don't get web traffic at Google-class levels.
    296 x 232 - 65K
  • ServiamScores
    What a rather sad endeavor for some poor soul to get into. Just the other day I found a music "publisher" selling PDFs on their website that they had downloaded from IMSLP. I pity the poor people who fall for that ruse and I think it despicable that they are profiting from scans in the public domain.