Fall Online Courses from the Sacred Music Institute of America
  • The Sacred Music Institute of America is offering three ten-week online courses this fall: "Gregorian and English Chant I" taught by Dr. William Mahrt, and "History of Sacred Music" and "Music Theory I" (which I am teaching). They can be taken as stand-alone continuing education opportunities or as part of the Institute's certification programs. SMIA also offers online and in-person lessons in organ, voice, and conducting. More information on the Institute and the fall courses is available at www.sacredmusicinstitute.org.

The Institute was founded in 2017 by Dr. Jason Keefer, Director and Assistant Professor of Sacred Music at the Pontifical College Josephinum, to provide comprehensive, affordable instruction to church musicians and thereby promote quality music in parishes. We've been offering online courses since the autumn of 2018 and are honored to welcome Dr. Mahrt to the faculty this fall.
  • Brief course descriptions:
    “Gregorian and English Chant I” will be taught by Dr. William Mahrt, who also teaches musicology and the performance of Medieval and Renaissance music at Stanford University. It is a beginning course in chant which will proceed from reading and singing of the simplest chants and the study of their liturgical function and include chants of progressive difficulty for the priest, people, and choir in both English and Latin.
    “History of Sacred Music” will be taught by Emily Lapisardi, director of music at the Catholic Chapel at the United States Military Academy (West Point, NY). This course provides a survey of the historical role of music in worship from its roots in the Old Testament to the present day, exploring landmark repertoire within the framework of turning-points in ecclesiastical history. While the class will focus primarily on Christian music in the western world, cross-cultural influences will also be explored.
    “Music Theory I” will also be taught by Emily Lapisardi. This course provides an overview of the foundational components of music including notation, intervals, key signatures, harmonic analysis and realization, and figured bass.
    All fall classes begin on August 24. More information is available at www.sacredmusicinstitute.org, or by contacting the Institute at 614-395-7783 or administrator@sacredmusicinstitute.org.
    Thanked by 1bhcordova
  • marymezzomarymezzo
    Emily, the courses look great. Why is there no information about *cost* on the website?
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Will these online courses be live or can you access them when convenient? I work for a construction company and am unable to take courses offered during normal business hours.
    Thanked by 1kenstb
  • The course content is sent out weekly and students have one week to view the lecture and submit any assignments before the next week's materials are released. There are also discussions/Q&A sessions on Zoom, but these are typically optional depending on the student's availability. Although Dr. Mahrt's class is new, we've offered both theory and music history online before using this approach and have received positive feedback from students who find the format allows them to go at their own pace and fit their coursework into their own personal schedules and commitments.

The Institute director didn't want to list costs on the website, but I strongly advocated for reconsidering that idea and he's asked the web designer to update the information! :)
    Thanked by 2bhcordova CHGiffen