new calendar vs. old calendar
  • JamJam
    A lot of us here are opposed to a lot of the things that happened in the wake of Vatican II. however, I'm just starting to realize that I don't like something V2 actually did... changing the calendar all around to a three year cycle, moving all the feast days, etc. Can anyone tell me WHY the Catholic church decided to do that? What their reasoning was behind it?

My problems with it would be that it is strange and pointless to move feast days that people have been celebrating on particular days for hundreds (or thousands) of years, it disrupts the annual nature of the liturgical year, and it moves Rome ever farther from her sister churches in the East, which still use the old calendar. East and West used to all celebrate Easter on the same day--then Rome adopted the Gregorian calendar and Easter became a point of contention again. Now, even more things are moving about.

I guess I just want to have a discussion about this. I grew up Protestant and am now a catechumen in the Orthodox Church, but I have a profound respect for the Roman church (more than most Orthodox I know) and love for Gregorian chant, the Latin language, and good Catholic liturgy. So that's where the question is coming from, I guess.
  • Chrism
    Did Vatican II really move the feast days? Did Vatican II really institute the 3-year cycle?
  • miacoyne
    From "the Feast of Faith" By J. Ratzinger (1986),

"One of the weaknesses of the postconciliar liturgical reform can doubtless be traced to the armchair strategy of academics, drawing up things on paper which, in fact, would presuppose years of organic growth. The most blatant example of this is the reform of the Calendar: those responsible simply did not realize how much the various annual feasts had influenced Christian people's relation to time. In redistributing these established feasts throughout the year according to some historical arithmetic-inconsistently applied at that- they ignored a fundamental law of religious life."

This is an excellent book, explains a lot of VII reform.
  • changing the calendar all around to a three year cycle

This was not mandated by Vatican II's Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy. Its only explicit mention of the Calendar is an appendix which spoke of the possibility of setting a fixed date for Easter.

The three-year cycle was the Consilium's interpretation of:

"The treasures of the bible are to be opened up more lavishly, so that richer fare may be provided for the faithful at the table of God's word. In this way a more representative portion of the holy scriptures will be read to the people in the course of a prescribed number of years." (SC 51)

So while the Council acknowledged the possibility of MORE than one year, it did not mandate it. I think a "better" solution -- one which would avoid making the extremely ancient existing cycle of readings obsolete! -- would be to supply readings for the ferial days that didn't already have proper readings. That is, develop readings for those weekdays which would simply "recycle" the previous Sunday's readings. Or expand the length of the readings in the traditional cycle.

moving all the feast days

Also something not explicitly mandated by Vatican II.

"The liturgical year is to be revised so that the traditional customs and discipline of the sacred seasons shall be preserved or restored to suit the conditions of modern times; their specific character is to be retained, so that they duly nourish the piety of the faithful who celebrate the mysteries of Christian redemption, and above all the paschal mystery. If certain adaptations are considered necessary on account of local conditions, they are to be made in accordance with the provisions of Art. 39 and 40." (SC 107)

I do not see how this led to the removal of pre-Lent, the changing of "Time after Pentecost" to "Ordinal (not Ordinary!) Time", nor the moving of RECENT feast days (like Christ the King). The traditional customs and discipline of Lent, for example, seem to have been gutted. (There's also the question of: "what do they mean by traditional?" Surely they wouldn't be calling for an antiquarian mentality!) Rogation days are basically unheard of nowadays.

"Lest the feasts of the saints should take precedence over the feasts which commemorate the very mysteries of salvation, many of them should be left to be celebrated by a particular Church or nation or family of religious; only those should be extended to the universal Church which commemorate saints who are truly of universal importance." (SC 111)

What the Council said is NOT that they should be moved around, but that they should not all be universal, and should not take precedence over other feasts. I dare say this assumed the Church would retain the tradition of having opening Collects ("opening prayers", in present English-speak) at a Mass: thus, a Mass could make explicit mention of a Saint on his day while still celebrating a more grand feast (unless I'm mistaken).

I grew up Protestant and am now a catechumen in the Orthodox Church, but I have a profound respect for the Roman church (more than most Orthodox I know) and love for Gregorian chant, the Latin language, and good Catholic liturgy. So that's where the question is coming from, I guess.

I recommend also registering at the Catholic Answers Forum (http://www.catholic.com/) to pursue this line of inquiry (in addition to discussing it here).

There's also a lot that Sacrosanctum Concilium called for that has been utterly ignored or expressly contradicted (whether by the Consilium or by typical parish practice). Latin, chant, parish vespers, etc. There's a lot missing.
  • The three-year cycle is a mess. The lack of rhythm in the year adds to the phrenetic excercise that some liturgies have become. Am I really supposed to appreciate from the pews that the Marcan gospel of one year is slightly different from the Matthean gospel of the year before? Was anything really gained that way? The Gregorian propers now seem out of place with 2 of the 3 cycles (if we're lucky). Grrrrrr.
  • CharlesW
    I agree the three-year cycle is a mess, with the scripture parts having little relation to each other. As a Byzantine, however, when someone mentions new calendar vs. old calendar, I am generally thinking Gregorian vs. Julian. That is a hotly debated issue in the east.
  • JamJam
    "As a Byzantine, however, when someone mentions new calendar vs. old calendar, I am generally thinking Gregorian vs. Julian. That is a hotly debated issue in the east."

As Orthodox, I think that too... are there Catholic rites that celebrate Christmas in the middle of January? within orthodoxy there are still old calendar folk who do everything different, but I think most (in the US) use the Gregorian calendar for everything except Pascha.

Seeing the whole liturgical year of the Orthodox flow naturally from one point to the next, it has really made evident the Catholic mess of the three-year cycle. (although, anything beats the utter lack of holidays or anything from my childhood)
  • chonakchonak
    Some Eastern Catholics observe the Julian calendar, but it's a minority practice. Within the Ukrainian Catholic Church, it can vary on a parish by parish basis. For example, here's a parish observing feasts on their old calendar dates (click back to April for Easter).
  • StDenisStDenis
    I didn't think that there are any Eastern Churches in communion with Rome that still followed the Old or Reformed Julian Calendars. Interesting link. I think a few Orietnal and at least one Orthodox Church follow some of the fixed Gregorian dates like the Nativity. But, on the whole the Orthodox are still using the Revised Julian adopted in 1926ish.

Prior to the Second Vatican Council, there were some Eastern Rite Catholic Churches universally celebrating Christmas in January and other Julian dates. The Ukrainian Greco-Catholic Church is one of them. I remember reading an archived newspaper describing this practice. I guess they wanted to be in closer uniformity with the calendar practices in the West?
  • CharlesW
    My Byzantine church follows the Gregorian calendar so that Christmas and Easter fall at the same time as in the west. But the daily and Sunday commemorations can be very different. For example: tomorrow May 3 is the fourth Sunday of Easter in the west, and the Sunday of the paralytic man and the passing of Theodosius of the Caves for us. Occasionally a feast will fall on the same day, but it tends to be a feast that was unaltered in the post-Vatican II calendar revisions.
  • JamJam
    That seems really sad to me. Shouldn't the whole church everywhere celebrate everything at the same time?
  • Pes
    Well, there's the sense of disruption to consider, and whose calendar gets to call the shots.

That said, this seems to me an easier problem to solve in ecumenical discussions than others.

I've never known anything but the three-year lectionary in the Roman Rite, and I can tell you, it makes absolutely zero impression, and the whole three-year shebang never coheres into a perceptible whole. I was still nearly illiterate, Biblically speaking. It took a year with some fair-minded Lutherans to make the Bible gel for me.

Seems to me a better route ca. 1965 would've been to strengthen Bible reading generally among Catholics. There were (and are) lots of good ways to do this. Shoe-horning everything into Sunday Mass isn't one of them.
  • StDenisStDenis
    I am still convinced that there is much greater use of Scripture in the traditional Mass. Certainly, the novus ordo contains explicit "readings," but the old Mass had a plethora of prayers and Scriptural references, not to mention psalmody within the propers. The liturgy is now devoid of many of these beautiful prayers which are taken straight from the Bible. If only, in the quest to make Catholics more "bible literate," our bishops could have just made the faithful more aware of the texts of the mass and their meanings, rather than attempt a "reform" at the liturgy.
  • GavinGavin
    I agree with St Denis. The EF has much more of scripture in it, particularly with the propers. The OF ideally should, but often does not.
  • Bruce E. Ford
    I commented on the amount of scripture in the novus ordo mass versus the vetus ordo mass. Here is my comment:

The novus ordo provides four lessons on Sundays. The responsorial psalm is in origin a lesson and is long enough to be considered a lesson. Also, the novus ordo lessons are on average longer than those of the vetus ordo.

It is regrettable that the introits, offertories, and communions are so seldom sung in novus ordo celebrations. But if the issue is the AMOUNT of scripture being read, these snippets do not affect the balance very much.

I agree with SOME of Dobszay's criticisms of the new lectionary. I think there ought to be more occasions on which the same lessons or at least the same Gospels are read every year. If a celebration centers around an event (such as the Baptism of Christ), and one Gospel account is more complete or edifying than the others, I see no reason not to read the "best" account every year and relegate the others to the office.

But I know that much more scripture has become intimately familiar to me since the three-year lectionary was introduced. And I have no reason to suspect that the experience of others is significantly different.

Enriching the weekday lectionary is not an adequate strategy for opening the treasures of the Bible to the faithful. What percentage of them regularly attend weekday masses?

The greater number of saints days in the old calendar did not have much impact on the amount of scripture read. More often than not the lessons were drawn from "commons." Priests have told me how tired they had become of reading the lessons from the same commons over and over again.
  • I think I must be losing my mind. I keep forgetting what year it is, A B or C.

I just don't think this is normal to have to jungle three years of Psalms. Can we please just have one set of Sunday material for the year?
  • All civilized liturgies have a single yearly calendar and have for millennia.
    The three-year lectionary is the fruit of false ecumenism, social engineering, and hostility to Tradition.
  • rich_enough
    I think that one can agree with good results from the 3 year cycle and more readings on Sundays - I admit that I am more familiar with the Bible because of it than I would have been otherwise - while still arguing that the new lectionary was a mistake. Familiarity with as much of the Bible as possible is a good thing, but one has to wonder whether the liturgy is the best vehicle for achieving this, given the serious drawbacks involved.

Different readings for each Sunday mean that Sundays have no real character and are not remembered from year to year. For example, the epistle for Gaudete Sunday speaks of "Rejoicing in the Lord" only in Year C - this Sunday has lost its character. I know that the gospel of the second Sunday of Lent will tell of Jesus' temptation in the desert - but which account will it be this year? Stories from the gospels are not allowed to sink in since there will not be heard again (at least in the same form) on a Sunday for another 3 years.

I look forward to feasts with the same readings every year - for example, the Immaculate Conception. It gives me another chance to contemplate what is already familiar and delve even deeper. I can't do this if the readings are unpredictable from year to year.

Think of it this way - if familiarity with the gospels is a primary object of the readings at mass, why have the same gospel for the Midnight Mass of Christmas every year (to take an example)? I go to this mass every year and so have missed out on the other Christmas gospels! But think about it - this wonderful gospel from Luke with the infant in swaddling clothes and the manger and no room at the inn is one of the defining moments of the midnight mass, just as the Preface to St. John's gospel is for the Christmas mass during the day. These "defining moments" are almost completely lost for every other Sunday in the revised calendar. This along with the sheer number of readings each Sunday means that the liturgy of the word becomes a blur and entirely unmemorable. there's simply too much to absorb in a given Sunday and no revisiting that same Sunday for another three years.

Finally, does anyone commemorate a loved one's death only every other year? What if we had Thanksgiving Day dinner every three years? Annual celebrations and all that goes with them are natural - the three year cycle is arbitrary (why not two or four year cycle?) and cuts at the very notion of a commemoration.

Sam Schmitt
  • I think it depends on how you view the readings. Are they for teaching or a ritual reading to present the biblical message for the day? Both views have support in writings on the liturgy. Perhaps a single annual cycle with more attention to readings for lesser feasts. Perhaps a real cycle for ferias would be a great idea, rather than repeating the Sunday readings. If we are to harmonize the calendars, this issue has to be addressed.
  • GavinGavin
    Well, few in Rome favor the one-year cycle, so this is all just grumbling. That said, Sam makes an excellent point: something is seriously wrong when we only hear the Gaudete lesson once every three years. I suppose a fine compromise could be to have the responsorial psalm and old testament lessons change on a cycle, but keep the Epistle, Gospel, and Gradual (if used) the same, due to their connection with the feast. At the VERY least, why couldn't they have preserved the character of the day, instead of completely changing the calendar every year? I often point out in liturgy planning that Advent has not one, but two characters: the first two Sundays focus on the Second Coming, the last two on the Incarnation. But watch out for the new calendar, where the character of these days is thrown off depending on the year!

As for Daniel's claim of "false ecumenism", I'd really like to see that assertion backed up. It's always been my understanding that Protestant churches adopted the RCL and other varying calendars BECAUSE of Rome, not vice versa. But I don't have the data to back that up.
  • The question of false ecumenism is not one of directly linked actions. Instead, the creators of the Novus Ordo viewed the use of large amounts of scripture as (among other things) a bridge from the widely held notion (among Protestants) that the Mass wasn't sufficiently based on scripture to the Protestant notion that scripture take pride of place in Sunday liturgies. The vast expansion of the 'liturgy of the word' and the suppression of many of the traditional offertory prayers in the Novus Ordo shows this intentional change of orientation and emphasis.
  • francis
    Revisiting this link...

Tis a sad situation.

I am trying to incorporate more of the Propers from other sources that utilize the 'real' calendar. (otherwise called 'old'). Does anyone have a parallel listing or index of the old to the new so it is easy to find the proper Propers for the proper day?!
  • I also think it's silly to have a 3 year cycle ... No one in the congregation is thinking about what "year" it is.

@francis
    Would a 1961 Roman Graduale help you?

http://musicasacra.com/pdf/graduale1961.pdf
  • It would make sense to have the cycle if the preaching was based upon the cycle.

Of course, this opens the door to choosing music and preaching topics on elements of the readings and waht if you pick one element and the preacher another?

But of course, there is one central theme for each Mass which relates to all the readings, and we are not allowed to sing it in most parishes.

The Entrance Chant
  • francis
    Noel

Brilliant concept, heh? Actually singing about something in particular.
  • Too obvious. The entrance chant IS the theme of the day...can't pay any attention to that.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Without commenting on the lectionary per se -

While I do sense a certain loss for elements of the old calendar like pre-Lent and the Octave of Pentecost, it seems wise to me that the pre-Vatican II reforms reduced the number of octaves and simplified the ranking of feasts. I also have never understood the reasoning for the way in which the traditional calendar handled the Sundays following the 23rd Sunday after Pentecost. It seems to me like somebody said, "We ran out of Sundays in the Missal, so lets just do what we did last week until Advent rolls around." I suppose the repetition of the Propers does give the schola a chance to prepare for Advent and Christmas(!), but it seems to me the new calendar handles this dilemma in a better way?
  • There are plenty of things that I think the reformers did poorly. The three-year cycle isn't one of them, at least for green Sundays. I'm not sure I approve of having a first, usually Hebrew Bible, reading, but the epistles and gospels needed some sort of expansion, at the very least for green Sundays. Just as a point of fact, the Beatitudes are never proclaimed at all in the old ordo, either in Matthew's or Luke's version. I would consider the Sermon on the Mount/Plain a fairly central component of Christ's message, and much of it is ommitted. Perhaps on non-green Sundays, somewhat longer selections of the epistles and gospels could have been chosen, encorporating the traditional pericopes. Thus, the traditional propers would have maintained their relevance on greater feasts.

I don't know how crucial it is that the congregtion be aware of what year of the cycle it is.
  • When the cycle was annual, people had much more chance of remembering and revisiting their thoughts...36 months...by then the water heater's warranty has run out.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    ALTAR TRANSFORMATION

Mouse over (back and forth) and see the transformation of the Altar for an EF Mass.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Maybe I'm crazy or naïve or ill-informed or whatever, but somehow I imagine the two forms of the Mass, after having "mutually enriched" each other for several generations beyond ours, being consolidated into a single form which retains the best of both, AND which has a single, reconciled calendar.

I'll duck, now.
  • francis
    mark...

all things are possible with God, but not sure about humanity. only time will tell, eh?
  • CharlesW
    Mark M, stranger things have happened. It's even possible one of the forms could die out. Who knows?
  • "I also have never understood the reasoning for the way in which the traditional calendar handled the Sundays following the 23rd Sunday after Pentecost."
    As a a practical matter, I understand the pre-Advent/pre-Lent holding pattern. But you're right; liturgically it doesn't make much sense, esp. if the goal is to expose a lot of Scripture. Of course, there's then be Propers that would almost never be done.
  • Liam
    Just to explain how the problem of varying blocks of Sundays of the Weeks of The Year (aka Ordinary Time) is handled by contrast in the OF:

There is a sequence of Gospel readings (to which the OT & Resp. Ps are linked thematically) after Christmastide, addressing the the beginning of Our Lord's public ministry (with heavy emphasis on discipleship-related themes - in the Sundays of the Weeks of the Year between Pentecost & Advent, the Gospel pericopes take something of a course reading cycle, with Cycle B having the Bread of Life discourses from Gospel of John interwoven into the cycle from the Gospel of Mark at the point of the year when the wheat harvest has traditionally occurred), as set forth in SS Matthew, Mark & Luke respectively; the Epistles are course readings, not necessarily linked thematically. The numbering of weeks of Ordinary Time is counted forward for the period between Christmastide and Lent (basically, the Sunday of the First Week of The Year is just the bit comprising Night Prayer/Compline on the Sunday on which the Baptism of the Lord falls).

Four consecutive Sundays occurring between OT 5 & OT 13 are omitted each year, depending upon date of Easter; basically, if Advent 1 falls in November (or, in a non-leap year, December 1), an entire week (plus the remnant of the week in which Ash Wednesday falls) of OT will be omitted during the preceding liturgical year (conversely, if Advent 1 falls on 12/3, 12/2 or, in a leap year, 12/1, there will not be an entire week omitted).

For Weeks of the Year between Pentecost and Advent, the numbering works effectively backward from the 34th Week. The last two-three weeks of this period are devoted to the End Times, and serve to dovetail into the first half of Advent. This year, we will get to see that the Responsorial Psalm for Christ The King in Cycle C is echoed on the following Sunday, the First Sunday of Advent in Cycle A. This part of the ordering works well; it's just that the numbering system is arbitrary (but not capricious); I suppose I prefer that, if something has to be arbitrary, the numbering system is better than the propers to fall victim to that.
  • Liam
    PS: Regarding my third paragraph: the reason there are 4 consecutive Sundays dropped is that Trinity Sunday and, in the USA and some other places at least, Corpus Christi displace the OT Sunday propers that would otherwise obtain.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Thanks Liam, for outlining all that. As I said, all other things aside, it's been my sense that this particular reform of the calendar has been a good thing.