Esperience in using LULU for self-publishing?
  • The first part of The American Gradual 2020, Conventional chant notation edition, is nearly ready for publication. I typeset the chants, using the Illuminare score editor, and Felipe Gasper (Toronto) fomratted the files for publication in a single book. I was going to use Amazon Create Space to publish it, but owing to complications that I won't bother to explain, I have decided to look elsewhere. I have been told that some CMAA members have used LULU. I would be grateful if they would tell me about their experiences in using this service.
    Thanked by 2Kathy Salieri
  • chonakchonak
    We regularly use it for reprint editions and have been happy with the printed books. When you go through the setup process, you can order a printed copy for yourself to check the appearance of the book before making it available for public orders.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Thank you!
  • CCoozeCCooze
    I've used Lulu for a confession aid I published. And my dad has used it for republication of the DR-Bible and other religious text that were no longer available in print.
    As chonak said, always order (yes, you have to pay) a copy for yourself, before making it available to the public. It sometimes takes trial and error to make sure your product fits their editor the way you desire.
    Lulu does get a certain portion of the fee (even all of it, if you don't intent to make money off of it, and just leave it at their printing fee). I'd have to charge $10 in order to get just about $5 or so back, for example.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Thanks, to you, also. I don't care about the royalties. I am much more interested in seeing the book used. I would probably add no more than $2 above printing costs.
    Thanked by 3Kathy roy2 Salieri
  • Ronn62353
    Any idea when this publication might be available in modern notation?
  • chonakchonak
    The previous edition (2001/2008), in round notes, is available for download at the CMAA site.
  • toddevoss
    I think Richard Rice has used Lulu - you might contact him