SATB Salve Regina
  • PeterG
    Has anyone sung an accessible but beautiful SATB version of the Salve Regina that they would care to recommend? Preferably one available for free download. There are some fine settings by great composers on CPDL but they are more demanding than I want at this time. Your recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
  • I was also looking for an accessible SATB setting of a Marian antiphon a few weeks ago for the upcoming first Mass of Thanksgiving of a good friend of mine and I had the same problem. I decided to compose one for him instead--I'm setting the Ave Regina Caelorum and would be glad to post it here when I'm finished.
  • PeterG
    I will certainly be keen to see your Ave Regina Caelorum, Adam, and to look at having my choir sing it next year. However, presently I am looking for an antiphon to sing in May, and seasonality seems to indicate the Salve Regina. I'll be interested to hear any recommendations others may come up with.
  • Understood. I don't know if you would want to use this or not, but there is a Schubert setting in the St. Gregory Hymnal, #205. It definitely looks very Romantic but is surely more accessible than settings by the Renaissance polyphonic composers. You can download it here:

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=C-oiAAAAMAAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PA5&dq=st.+gregory+hymnal&ots=0FXOHSJVN7&sig=zgQJJ2feoYyf8dlqr6hng2FNYKQ#PPR17,M1
  • Well, one of the best SATB settings of Salve Regina is not public domain, but it is well worth the purchase price.
    It's by the CMAA's own Richard Rice and a true work of art.
    The details are here: http://www.newliturgicalmovement.org/2008/09/salve-regina-by-richard-rice.html
  • Palestrina
    Francis Poulenc's "Salve Regina" is one of the most exquisite pieces of music ever written. Sad, intensely beautiful and profoundly spiritual, this piece was written by Poulenc during World War II, when France was occupied by the Germans. One can sense both his sadness as he reflects on the state of humanity, and also his deep trust in our Blessed Mother, as he turns to her with a deep spiritual conviction. This piece does not have all the dramatics of heart-on-your-sleeve romanticism, and to me actually conveys a deeper sense of emotion and spiritual reflection than any romantic approach might achieve. Listen to it.
  • rich_enough
    The settings of the Salve regina in the collection "Muisca Divina" by Soriano, Anerio and Aichinger might be of interest. I have not seen them myself (with the exception of the Soriano), but judging from other compositions by these composers, they should be quite accessible. You can request a score of them from Jeff Ostrowski here: http://jeff.ostrowski.cc/musica_divina.htm

Sam Schmitt
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Just snagged 20 copies of Richard Rice!
  • mjballoumjballou
    Lacking tenors and basses, I'll have to resist the Rice. However, working up his Magnificat for SSA with my two dearest singers is a delight. The only problem is we keep stopping to admire various progressions and luxuriating in the chords.
  • PeterG
    Many thanks to all who responded to my plea for an accessible SATB Salve. I'll be following up the various suggestions, including the Rice. We've sung a number of prepers from his Simple Gredual and found them pleasing to sing, easy to learn and effective to present.
    I agree the Poulence is wonderful, Palestrina, but it is beyond us at the moment. However, I will ask Jeff Ostrowski about the Musica Divina settings.
    Again, thanks for your informed input.
  • Richard R.
    Caveat of the day:

I consider my Salve Regina (SATB a cappella, G. Schirmer, 2008) to be a concert piece, and should probably not be attempted by your average parish choir on a (time and talent) budget.

Though I don't begrudge my 18 cents a pop for the thing...