Hymn to St. Peter Julian Eymard
  • RMSawicki
    Does anyone reading these pages, who might possess a collection of hymnals even more vast than mine (I literally trip over them sometimes!), have any memory of coming across an old-style devotional hymn in honor St. Peter Julian Eymard, founder of that religious community known as the Congregation of the Blessed Sacrament (S.S.S.)?

There is a large church in New York City, St. Jean Baptiste, staffed by this order, which has had, for as long as I can remember, a weekly (Thursdays) Novena service in honor of their sainted founder.

Back in the early-to-mid 1980s I had opportunity to attend these services on occasion and I remember hearing/singing the opening hymn. To the ears of most who post on this page, it had a tune/melody that might be derided as overly sweet and sentimental, but nonetheless, had words which truly conveyed an understanding of the pious devotion involved.

I have a muffled analog TDK tape recording of it, made in 1983, which allows me to hear the melody, but the words, sung from the chancel by a priest using a microphone/speaker combination that was already antiquated BY THEN, are unclear, save for "...O Saint Peter Julian..."

I am happy to report this weekly Novena service continues in 2020, but, sadly, without music or singing.

Anyway, if anyone besides me knows of the existence of this hymn, or its present whereabouts in the hymnal universe, please let me know.

Thanks to all in advance.

Gaudete in Domino Semper!
  • Kathy
    If nothing comes of your request here, I would suggest asking one of the community to contact the brothers abroad, and/ or to take a look in the library for community hymnals.
  • chonakchonak
    Forum member @oldhymns might know of something.