English to Latin translation (help please!), Divine Mercy Chaplet prayer
  • Hi folks. I'm hoping to write a motet using the text of the opening prayer to the DMC in Latin, but I can't seem to find a translation online. I was wondering if there are any Latin scholars among you that might be able to help me out...

You expired, Jesus, but the source of life gushed forth for souls and the ocean of mercy opened up for the whole world. O Fount of Life, unfathomable Divine Mercy, envelop the whole world and empty Yourself out upon us. O Blood and Water, which gushed forth from the Heart of Jesus as a fount of mercy for us, I trust in You. Amen.

Thanks for the help!
    Andrew
  • chonakchonak
    It's worthwhile to be careful. There are Latin versions on some websites, but some contain grammar errors that make me think they were produced by Google Translate or other unreliable means.

The third sentence has been translated fairly reasonably as "O Sanguis et Aqua, qui ex (Sacratissimo) Corde Iesu effluxistis, ut fons misericordiæ pro nobis – in Vobis confido."
    source: http://www.konradcichocki.com/pdf/the_chaplet_of_the_divine_mercy.pdf

To make a proper Latin version, if one doesn't exist, one should also make reference to the original text in Polish, rather than taking the English version alone as a source.
  • bumping for the feast
    Thanked by 1adjpanderson13