Candlemas: Penitential Act & Kyrie or not?
  • SalieriSalieri
    Is the Penitential Act & Kyrie (if forms A or B are employed) used at the Mass for Candlemas? The rubrics are ambiguous. In my Altar Missal (Magnificat), there is no mentioning that the Introductory Rites and Penitential Act are omitted, nor is there anything saying that they are to be said, only that the Gloria is sung:

8. As the procession enters the church, the Entrance Antiphon of the Mass is sung. When the Priest has arrived at the altar, he venerates it and, if appropriate, incenses it. Then he goes to the chair, where he takes off the cope, if he used it in the procession, and puts on the chasuble. After the singing of the hymn Gloria in excelsis (Glory to God in the highest), he says the Collect as usual. The Mass continues in the usual manner.

Further down after the heading AT THE MASS, the Missal gives the Entrance Antiphon (Your merciful love, O God), and then the rubric: "The Gloria in excelsis (Glory to God in the highest) is said." Exactly in the manner in which it is printed for the Mass for the Vigil of the Epiphany, when of course, the usual Introductory Rites are used. This is different from Palm Sunday where the rubric after the heading AT THE MASS is: "19. After the Procession or Solemn Entrance the Priest begins the Mass with the Collect."

Maybe I'm just stupid, but, I am never the less confused about this! Any help would be appreciated!
  • PLTT
    The rubrics quoted imply that the Introductory Rites are omitted, which is customary for whenever there is a procession. This is said more explicitly in the Ceremonial of Bishops, n. 247 ("....The introductory rites of the Mass are omitted, and after the singing of the Gloria the bishop sings or says the opening prayer, and the Mass then continues as usual." )
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • SalieriSalieri
    Thanks! That's what I was thinking.

It would be nice if the rubrics in the Missal were as explicit as they are in the Ceremonial of Bishops. Perhaps something to be worked out in a 4th Typical Edition...in 2085
  • a_f_hawkins
    Salieri - what the rubric 8. intends to say is " ... chasuble. The Mass then continues with the Gloria and proceeds as usual. "
    There is a general rule that when a liturgical action precedes Mass, the Penitential Rite (& usually the Kyrie) are omitted. compare the Palm Sunday rubric After the Procession or Solemn Entrance the Priest begins Mass with the Collect