Solemn High Mass Resources (Christmas Midnight Mass)
  • Greetings!

I am new to the forum, relatively new to Catholicism (decided to convert from Protestantism Fall 2014, entered the Church Easter 2016), VERY new to music director life (currently in my first position at a small parish which I began summer of this year), BUT am at least a lifelong musician (w/ a masters in music). All that being said, I am well acquainted with the OF, but have little experience with the EF.

The priest at my parish is planning a Solemn High Mass for the Midnight Christmas Mass. The propers, ordinaries, credo, etc. are already prepared and I have a small but mighty schola who can definitely handle the chant for the Mass, so I have no worries on that front. While I am doing my research and getting more comfortable with the rubrics of EF, I am looking for more resources to help guide me through the "cues" of the Mass and what to expect.

I've already found resources like Psallite Sapienter, and extraordinaryform.org. Both are incredibly useful, but I am unable to print the guide for the Midnight Mass from extraordinaryform.org, which would be the ideal to have in front of me while the Mass is going on.

Long story short, I would greatly appreciate any input/resources/advise on EF as I go forward in preparing myself and my schola! Thank you!
  • a_f_hawkins
    Do you mean this? Will that print for you?
    Note: you have missed an 'a' in extraordinaryform.org
    Thanked by 1TaylorAnne
  • Thank you, tomjaw!

Mea culpa on the spelling a_f_hawkins! While the propers are helpful I am hoping to find a resource that has the entire text of the Mass so I can have a guide on where to bring in the schola.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • a_f_hawkins
    The same website has what they call Hand Missals, in three different formats. They think this is the easiest to read : http://www.extraordinaryform.org/handmissals/HandMissal13ptComic.pdf . It does not have the propers written out, but it clearly tells you where they come in, so you can highlight them yourself. If you can print that out and take a red pencil to it yourself, using tomjaw's LMS guide to cross check, I think that would help you. There is some crossing out to do, since as printed it includes elements like the Tract which do not occur at this Mass, and has comments specific to Low Mass.
    Thanked by 2TaylorAnne CHGiffen
  • Thank you a_f_hawkins, that is super helpful! My journey into EF territory is definitely not as intimidating now as it once was, but I figure the more tools I have in my belt to help me understand it the better.
  • tomjaw
    This may also help, http://www.divinumofficium.com/cgi-bin/missa/missa.pl

I don't think the link will take you direct to, Midnight Mass, so you will need to choose the day, and the First Mass, and I clicked the Solemn and rubrics tab.

Also while this has the text, it does not tell you the choir sings the text at a different time to the priest.

This may also help with the chant, recording and comments, http://www.gregorianbooks.com/propers.html#christmas1

This video may also help, although they are using slightly different rubrics,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMZku0bSW_E
    Thanked by 1TaylorAnne
  • If you wish to have the ExtraOrdinaryForm document, you can downlowd the guide as a PDF - it is an option in your browser that appears when you click inside the screen that is presenting the text. Once you've downloaded the pdf, you should have all options for printing.

Don't know if it helps... I wrote up something for people in my group who are new to the EF. (Attached). I consider 3 major areas - PRE-MASS (Christmas midnight, that would likely be a carol program and the procession); the MASS (the parts of the Mass specifically); and POST-MASS (recessional, postlude, etc.).

Items in bold indicate what is sung; things in grey italics are things that are obvious check-points said or sung by the sacred ministers. If I were trying to follow the Mass in terms of structure, I wouldn't want all the text... particularly as in the EF, you probably won't hear a fair portion. But if you can identify key points, it will give you a quick at-a-glance to know where you are and what is next.

This is particular to my choir and our situation, but it is fairly general - I don't think it would be dramatically different from EF in most locations.

There are some key points that you'll want to be somewhat familiar with - clues that give you a bit more information. I'll try and summarize them here. There are other things that only you can determine with your pastor... such as how the procession will be handled. Will he process with the baby Jesus? Will there be some ceremony during the procession? How does that fit with a carol program? Etc.

In terms of key points not in the attachment:
    • I'm sure you are already aware, but there would be no Asperges - that is only for Sunday's (and at the "principal" Mass)
    • In this case, the Introit will start immediately following procession / ceremony... unless you'd rather use the Introit as the procession (you'll work out that detail with the pastor).
    • The cue for the organist to provide intonations (Gloria and Credo) will be when the ministers are lined up in the center at the appropriate moment of the Mass. Typically, the ministers are only in line in the center if one of them is intoning or singing a response (e.g. Dominus Vobiscum - Et Cum Spiritu tuo).
    • Gradual / Alleluia immediately follows the chanting of the Epistle by the subdeacon.
    • Offertory verse (and motet / organ interlude that follows) is immediately after the responses following the Credo.
    • Sanctus immediately follows the preface (bells ring 3x). Presuming chant based on your original post, the Benedictus is sung with the Sanctus - not split after the Consecration.
    • The cue for ending any organ playing following the consecration is that it follows the genuflection after replacing the pall. MC joins ministers. Genuflection as deacon switches to other side (MC and deacon). MC, Deacon, and Celebrant genuflect before removing the pall. Minor Elevation. Pall is replaced - all three genuflect a second time. Organ stops and the Pater Noster follows.
    • Agnus Dei immediately follows the Dominus Vobiscum (and response) that follows the Sed libera nos a malo at the end of the Pater Noster.
    • Communion verse can be sung at any convenient time during the distribution of Communion. The distribution will not start until the 3x Domine non sum dignus (typically follows the sung Confiteor by the Deacon)
    • You'll need to determine when to send the choir / schola to Communion. You might choose to do this immediately following the Agnus - that gives you a convenient way to ensure choir receives and then is able to sing for Communion.
    • The intonation for the Ite... the ministers will be in a line in the center (following the Post Communion verse sung from the missal at the Epistle side). After the Celebrant sings Dominus Vobiscum with response, organ intones the Ite for the Deacon.
    • There typically isn't a ceremony following the Last Gospel, so your recessional / postlude likely can start immediately when the Celebrant is done... however, you'll want to confirm that.

Best of luck to you!! Follow up with a post to let us know how it went!

• Thank you everyone for the information! I'm gaining more confidence and understanding with every resource!