How much purgatory time ...
  • ... do you think I'll get for using "We Three Kings" to make the congregation and ensembles happy?

I want to bring solemnity and reverence into mass with the music I prepare. However, there is more grumbling from the choir and some of the employees that my music is not "happy" enough. I had a tenor step down for the Advent and Christmas season in part he told me that it wan't his style of music.

Some days I wonder- is it really that big of deal to play one song to "throw them a bone?" when the other 3 hymns and ordinaries are solid? I spend a LOT of time music planning because of this. Maybe it is the more humble thing to play a song or two each week that the congregation really holds on to dearly. . .

Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Do the We Three Kings. Don't die on that hill.

At least for a while, I think a sacro-pop (think John Michael Talbot/Haugen/Haas/Joncas or Steve Janco's Draw Near, not KLove Christian rock with drums) offertory "hymn" would be wise. I did that early in my career and it worked out well. I think it bought me a longer leash to do the really lovely sacred music we did in that parish. Of course, the music director who succeeded me in that position went whole-hog OCP, but that's another story.
  • Liam
    Assuming we're talking during Mass rather than a carol sing or extraliturgical context . . . FWIW, probably less than for programming "Silent Night".

Definitely less than programming (instead of euthanizing) the terrible English pseudo-paraphrase of "Cantique de Noël".

(Thanks for the excuse to offer my annual venting on those here.)
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Liam- dare I ask why about Silent Night? This is a new objection for me. . .
  • Liam
    It's a devotional folk waltz lullaby with precious little theological content beyond "dawn of redeeming grace" in the three verses normally sung in the USA (you may think "Virgin Mother and Child" has heft, but for most folks singing it I'd wager it's sweet wallpaper), for what it's worth (there's more substance in verses that are typically omitted). If WTK is a problem for you in substance/style terms (at least it offers a much clearer foreshadowing of the Paschal Mystery), SN should be even more so.

But people love it, because of its liminal associations. There are also people who feel that way about WTK.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw cesarfranck
  • rich_enough
    I've never looked to most hymns at mass for much theological content as it is (no to mention they just add another layer of non-liturgical song to the already complicated mix), so doing them at all is "throwing them a bone" in my book.
  • CharlesW
    I use "three kings" once a year on Epiphany. If you do all the verses it tells a story and is a teaching tool. Once a year I am not worried about and wouldn't lose sleep over it.
  • It's nice to be able to ask if it's a hill to die on. Most people die in much more unpleasant territory. Seriously, do it and move on. (And if people are all about "sad music", then why are you doing something with the verse in minor?)
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    You's don't like "We Three Kings of Orient Are" and "Silent Night"? You only use one on Epiphany, so once a year and you only sing the other, one night during the year. Two purgative moments on earth vs two in the next? That's a no brainer.

• CharlesW
    I'm an easterner. We don't believe in the Latin version of Purgatory. LOL. No one will ever be punished for "kings" and "silent night." I am sure God has more important things to do. Now "Gather us In," however, is a sure road to hell.
  • Would it matter how the music were played, whether it earned you time in Purgatory? After all, I have found that WTK sounds almost merry-go-round-ish, or accordian-ish, especially when the last notes before "Star of wonder..." are held for anything like the usual amount of time. I imagine it's quite beautiful when oboes, clarinets and bassoons play it, but I can't think why those instruments would be allowed in the context of hymn-playing at Mass.
  • Reverence is simultaneously an objective and subjective reality. What a comforting fact that is to know.

Let me explain:

Your goal is to bring about the objective reality, as you understand it, from church documents and tradition into practice in your local community.

If, however, in doing so, you skillfully use familiar music with which they are acquainted and enamored to achieve that end, even if it grates against your ideals, then take comfort at least in this: they, not having perceived any difficulty with that music before you arrived, will not perceive any difficulty with it simply because you have now arrived.

In other words, it will still be perceived, subjectively, as reverent, and you can rest assured that it will cause no scandal, if you use it.

Here's how that fits, in my view, into a plan to achieve your ends (although your situation, from previous posts, sounds more interesting than most):

Broadening their taste to include things that are your ideal would be step one. Usually that taste is not there when one begins. Keep the aesthetic feel the same as it was, but introduce beautiful moments that are different here and there. I was at a musically abhorrent funeral once, but there was incense, and at Offertory time, during the incensation, Dubois' Adoramus Te was sung. It was momentary, but moving. That kind of thing.

Step two would be to make enough of this kind of music familiar and second nature, that entire liturgies could be built using only this.

Step three, strategically introduce controlled liturgical environments of this kind, with repertoire that is now familiar, in which the assembly can take part.

Step four, gradually adjust the proportions in more settled liturgies, like the Sunday Mass. Retire rep strategically and gently, not abruptly,

Pay attention to negative feedback, and seriously ask if their are ways you can adjust your program to meet it. It is inevitable, but that is not a license to ignore it. Consider it as in good faith, and realize that some of what they desire will be likely compatible with your vision and the pastor's. Do that, as a gesture of goodwill back. You may make unexpected friends, who will help you in otherwise inaccessible spaces within the community.
  • TCJ
    Shift the music away from Mass by including it in a Christmas concert.
  • tomjaw
    I think Silent Night is loathsome, fortunately I do not have to programme English songs at our Masses.

As for We Three Kings I like the first verse,
    We Three Kings of Orient are, in search of a pub' it can't be too far... One on a scooter beeping his hoooter, following yonder star

N.B. A Pub' is for Public house so a bar or other drinking establishment, Scooter is a motorised bicycle (or children's two wheeled toy), and a hooter is a car horn.
    Thanked by 1MNadalin
  • CharlesW
    No, a hooter is a waitress who works at that notorious restaurant chain.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    I actually like Silent Night. What I don't like is the lowering of church lights so as to set the mood as if we are in some kind of hotel lounge or grafting "Night of Silence" to further embrace the mood.

As for "We Three Kings", I haven't seen anyone suggesting an alternative perhaps because nothing new has been written in a very long time. There are three Epiphany hymns in the Catholic Church Hymnal compiled by A. Edmonds Tozer. There are also some hymns for Epiphany in the Alverno Hymnal. There is even a selection of hymns in the Adoremus hymnal. But there again, older hymns. If you need an alternative to Silent Night, consider "Sleep Holy Babe". I particularly like the arrangement from the 1918 St. Basil Hymnal.

Thanked by 2tomjaw CharlesW
  • davido
    For Epiphany we have:
    What star is this with beams so bright
    As with gladness men of old
    The First Noel
    Songs of Thankfulness and praise
    Brightest and best of the Sons of the morning

Why would we need something new? I could sing these my whole life
  • I've tried to avoid programming "We Three Kings" at Mass on the simple grounds of I'm tired of hearing in homilies and what not that "we don't know exactly how many there were" and "they weren't kings" before or after singing it. But there's far, far worse out there. It actually helps teach the significance of the gifts the magi brought. Myself, I go more toward:
    The First Noel
    As With Gladness Men of Old
    Songs of Thankfulness and Praise
    Angels, from the Realms of Glory
    O Come, All Ye Faithful could also be justifiable, especially if you have the stanza that starts "Lo! star-led chieftans..." from the Willcocks version.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • Tomjaw.
    Here's the equivalent on the west side of the pond:
    "We three kings of Orient are
    Tried to smoke a rubber cigar.
    It was loaded; it exploded,
    Blowing us wide and far."
  • Oh dear, when we went caroling as kids 'We Three Kings' was a favorite... especially those long notes on yonder staa-aaar.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Pace Liam & others, I don't think relegating SN and W3K to carol sings and shopping malls and letting them gradually lose any religious connotation should count as a victory. But as long as we're playing at Grinches, I count The First Noel against my purgatory time ;-)
  • Liam
    Richard

I didn't say to relegate them to profane use. My actual point was rather different, that if one cavils about WTK, SN is even more so - on the (I believe given the comments here, fairly accurate) assumption that most people here wouldn't cavil about SN.
    Thanked by 1Richard Mix
  • tandrews
    "We three kings of Orient are
    Smoking on a rubber cigar.
    It was loaded; it exploded,
    Blowing us wide and far.
    Now there are only two."

A shorter version of 99 bottles.
    Thanked by 2Carol Jeffrey Quick