Transpose Christmas Hymns
  • I would like to use my set of Lumen Christi hymnals to lead a family sing-a-long this Christmas. I have the hymnal's Accompaniment Edition for my use at the piano, but would like to transpose the accompaniments down a bit and print them out. Any recommendations?

I have Finale for doing the transpositions. But don't know where to get MusicXML files of Christmas hymns.

I could scan my Accompaniment Edition into Finale using SmartScore Songbook Edition, but that would be $200. Maybe it's worth it if there isn't another way.

I've never used Hymnary.org, but looks like it will have all of hymns in transposable FlexScores for $35. But I would need to change the words provided to match our hymnals (I will lead the singing too from the piano.) And I don't think these can be imported into Finale for custom modifications.
  • tomjaw
    I could borrow a set of Harmony Hymnals from my parish church... But is so much easier to print the music from https://www.hymnsandcarolsofchristmas.com I keep our Carols in a special folder, that only come out for our choir Advent carol party (the 'mulled' wine is already in my cellar and the mince meat for the pies is in the Larder) Oh and my children are already practicing the piano accompaniments!
  • Thanks for the suggestions. I see hymnsandcarolsofchristmas is a great site, but since no transposition option, I can't use it to generate my desired accompaniments. I would have to import the midis into Finale and clean it up. That would take me too long.

Since no cheap and easy scanning option could be found, I'm going to use hymnary.org. I've bought a subscription and will use their FlexScore feature to generate accompaniments in the desired lower keys. I'll then have to use a pen to write in the required lyric changes so they match my hymnals. Thank you!
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Also, it doesn't look like the Hymnal 1940 is available in FlexScore.
  • davido
    There are free music xml scores available for all the common Christmas hymns on hymnary. Just download them and run them through your music notation software to transpose them (MuseScore is a great free option)
    Thanked by 1avscvlta
  • I didn't previously see the MusicXML links. Thank you!