• I need to consider purchasing a hymnal in the next year or two. I am going to list some "givens", as there are some things that I just simply have to accept as the current reality for now. So please no Vatican II hymnal, or St. Michael's hymnal, or any pre-Vatican II publications, etc. I will have to select from the following options:
    1. GIA - Gather 3
    2. GIA - Worship 4
    3. OCP - Journeysongs
    4. OCP - Glory & Praise
    5. WLP - We Celebrate

The parish currently uses OCP Heritage Missal. We will purchase hymnals so we can eliminate the cost of buying the same material in a disposal every year, but will still need a missalette for at least weekday propers, and possibly the Sunday readings (so as to keep the hymnal not too heavy for the older population). Most likely will go with GIA Sunday's Word for Readings unless We Celebrate is the chosen hymnal.

The parish has three Masses, currently a Christmas, Holy Week, Special Occasion choir only. There are no cantors. The hymns are led from the choir loft by the organist. A Psalmist sings the Responsorial Psalm and Gospel Acclamation (again from the choir loft)

My obvious question is OF THE OPTIONS ABOVE (which are the only that can be considered), what does everyone recommend, and please include a reasoning for your choice.
  • Liam
    To answer a question with a question that may help garner better responses:

How much of the Ordinary is sung? [From my perspective, one's choices of settings of the Ordinary are *much* more important than one's choices of hymns; but if you're not currently singing much of it and don't intend to change that during the tenure of the successor hymnal, it's less of an issue.]
    Thanked by 1argentarius
  • I would have to say its a pretty "typical US Parish" in that regard. The four hymns, Alstott Psalm settings, currently Mass of Christ the Savior, or Heritage Mass, Mass of Joy and Peace for Christmas, Mass of Charity and Love for Advent and Lent. I'm absolutely open to the Propers and Ordinary, but I am brand new (less than three months as MD) and that will take time.
  • Kathy
    A lot can happen in 2 years. I would put the purchase off until you've impressed the heck out of everyone and they trust you with broader options.
  • davido
    Worship IV

It’s simply the best of your 5 options. There will be some rep changes necessitated by whatever hymnal you choose, but in 2-3 years, that will sort itself out.
  • Davido, Could you expand on WHY it is the best of the five options?

• With GIA buying out WLP, who knows what will become of We Celebrate? Given that's a triennial publication I'd stay away from it only because it may not exist in 3 years and necessitate another change. So of the four remaining options Worship IV is the only one worth considering, although even with it you have to be careful about changes GIA has made to some hymns, and beware that some of the more used hymn tunes (e.g. Hyfrydol) use different harmonizations on different hymns - e.g., "Praise the Lord, Ye Heavens, Adore Him" and "Alleluia, Sing to Jesus" use the same tune, but the first uses the traditional Prichard harmonization and the second uses one by Proulx.
    Thanked by 1rich_enough
  • Kathy
    Just as an aside, it doesn't really make sense to lump the St Michael hymnal in with the Vatican II hymnal and pre-Vat II hymnals. It's not any more "conservative " than Worship II or Worship III.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    We use the Gather third edition hymnal along with the Ignatious Pew Missal. I prefer the hymn selection in the Pew Missal over Gather any day. I think you need to look at your parish goals and expectations and select a hymnal that will meet those needs.
  • I'm a bit out of the loop, but last time I saw these books, Gather 3 and Worship IV had a psalm setting at the front. Since these are only 5 options you can have, ask yourself what kind of psalmody and what kind of ordinary you want to have. The hymns are (relatively speaking) beside the point.
  • chonakchonak
    Since the parish is also using a "missalette", that can provide an alternative source for psalm settings. If they're using WLP's booklet, at least their psalm settings have the official Lectionary text, unlike some of the settings in Gather Comprehensive.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • ryandryand
    You could always push for the Ignatius Pew Missal, as it is an affordable annual subscription (sell it by pointing out lower costs upfront) and could be replaced next year if they don’t like it. Then spend a productive year making them like it. You can purchase a better hymnal at that point, or continue delaying commitment to a permanent book by using IPM until the parish culture will accept a more traditional hymnal.
  • Not a hymnal, per se, but the Ignatius Pew Missal is perfect. It has all the hymns one would need for the church year--including a few that are always in demand for funerals. The Introit and Communion propers are included in simple chant settings. A selection of quality Mass settings. I do not like throw away worship aids, but this book checks all the boxes. The layout is easy to read and logical.
  • What does everyone think of Seasonal Missalette from Paluch. Assuming it survives the merger, it might add some rep to worship or gather
  • davido
    Worship IV has the largest amount of respectable rep. All the others are dominated by G&P and Haas/Schutte rep.

If you don’t want an actually conservative hymnal, then the square notes in Ignatius Missal make it useless. The same with the Lumen Christi missal. There is no reason why both of those books could not be noted in modern notation and it would make them usable by lots of parishes such as mine that would balk at square notes.

I think St Michael is the best hymnal option, so that is the camp I’d be in.
  • doneill
    If it is necessary to stick with the OCP offerings like the Alstott psalms and Schutte Mass, etc., then I suppose Journeysongs makes the most sense. Of those selections, though, Worship IV is the best hymnal, if you are willing to change to their psalm and Mass settings. If you're not sure, just stick with the missalette plan until the parish's vision may be clearer in a couple years.
  • rich_enough
    We have a license and make our own leaflets each week. Easier for the congregation to use (no searching in the hymnal for the right number) and you're not limited to a particular hymnal and its repertoire.
  • ryandryand
    davido,

How many of your congregants could find middle c on a piano? How many know which key signature uses 4 sharps?

How many know the difference between up and down?

The difficulty in learning square notation for use with simple congregational melodies is much over exaggerated. Most congregants can’t read music anyway.

The OP also explicitly said NO St Michael, but here you are suggesting that. I think the Ignatius Pew Missal is a good idea for reasons outlined above - dipping one’s toes in the water, so to speak, without the commitment or cost of a permanent hymnal. If it is well-received, then a hymnal like St Michael might be feasible in the future. It is not right now, as was clearly stated.

The hymns in Ignatius are in modern notation and the selection is 90% great with 10% to appease Susan from the parish council. The propers are in square notation but where I have used IPM we didn’t use their melodies antiphons or psalm settings anyway. The text is still there for PIP to follow, should they choose, and if you wind up using their melodies, I don’t recall any of them being particularly ornate (no compound neumes or long melismas).

If you can tell the difference between the top or bottom of a page, you can read square notation. I taught a formerly Jesus Rock parish to read square notes by introducing them to the worship aid using the settings in Lumen Christi. There were a few easy questions from curious parishioners but generally people just understood “Oh they sang that nice melody and now I should repeat it. And it looks like this on the page? Hmm. Interesting. Wonder where we’re going for brunch.”

The notation is not a stumbling block unless YOU allow it to be. And for the Ignatius Pew Missal, the recommendation here is more for the hymnal located in the back, which is a better hymnal than any listed as potential options. It is cheaper, impermanent (can be replaced if parish/pastor don’t like it after a year), and simply by its presence will help orient (gently, because it does offer some schlock) the parish toward traditional sacred music.
  • a_f_hawkins
    The difficulty in learning square notation for use with simple congregational melodies is much over exaggerated. Most congregants can’t read music anyway.
    Very true, and if you have an amateur choir probably true of half them as well. It does call into question whether Worship IV is wasting money and trees on a Pew Edition probably three times as heavy as it needs to be. OTOH I have noticed the PIPs sing well with music notated, even when the wrong tune has been printed in the order of service!
  • I actually think W4 is the second worst on this list. There are too many badly worded hymns and too many texts to certain hymn tunes. At least Gather has some texts that match the Propers...

My rankings:

1 We Celebrate
    2 Journeysongs
    3 Gather
    4 Worship
    5 G&P
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Unless you're trying to tie someone else's hands,
    …too many bad

is a strange way to choose: usually one judges based on the items one actually expects to use and it's the omissions that are the problem.
  • GambaGamba
    I’m currently working around with despite We Celebrate.

Almost every hymn we would call “traditional” went through a vicious and lazy editing process in 1994. Masculine pronouns and any archaic pronouns or verb forms were amputated, but not everywhere, and not consistently: hymns will call God “You” in several verses, and switch to “Thou” later on, or “hast” is paired with “you”. Others repeatedly switch back and forth between “he” and “Christ”, destroying the poet’s efforts toward euphony. It’s truly pitiable and painful.

Further, many well-known hymns were Catholicked at the time of the People’s Mass Book by Westendorf and co.,, and remain thus today.

I can think of three or four quality hymns that are untouched. The remainder of the book is about 30% ruined old texts, 20% OCP/GIA stuff (SL Jesuits, Delores Dufner), and 50% mediocre doggerel by authors on WLP’s payroll (not you, illustrious @Kathy).

We use maybe 33% of the book, meaning 67% of our money was wasted.

To Richard Mix’s comment: A random list of things we’re missing that congregations (in my experience) can sing, and benefit from encountering: we’re missing two of the simple tone Marian antiphons, Crux Fidelis, Vexilla Regis, any materials at all for a licit LOTH Vespers/EP or Compline, psalm options for weddings/funerals that are not dreadful paraphrases, the Te Deum, the Magnificat, the Nunc. All of these are completely absent, whether in Latin or literalish English (not Dr. Seuss hymn-tune paraphrases).

Trying to convince folks that singing together is worth it, while using this abomination of a hymnal, honestly feels like claiming churches can be tastefully adorned, with only the famously-vandalized Spanish Ecce Homo as evidence, or saying “Italian cuisine is incredibly tasty, so let’s get excited about going to Pizza Hut.”

Seriously, ANY of the Lutheran or Anglican hymnals of the last 100 years contains more authentically Catholic content than WLP, and rather less ambiguous texts on the Eucharist. I’ve studied almost all of them, and I don’t say that lightly.

Furthermore, the quality of the choral/organ/cantor materials is extremely varied. I can only hope that my time in Purgatory may be reduced by the amount of time I have spent repointing psalms, correcting accidentals, and writing out functional harmonizations for the choir.

Here end the most pleasant and measured words I have ever uttered on the subject of We Celebrate.
  • GambaGamba
    Also, it occurs to me that the math GIA uses to justify switching from paperback to permanent depends on keeping the hardcover book for 10 years.

In the next 10 years, we expect
    -A completely new translation of the Liturgy of the Hours, including
    -New psalms, which would also go into the
    -New Lectionary, which would also contain new Alleluia verses, and potentially affect the
    -Entrance and Communion antiphons in the Missal.

I personally intend to continue the disposable status quo, printing better stuff in worship aids, and then hope to buy a permanent book after the changes have been made.
  • Kathy
    Thank you for the kind shoutout, Gamba.
  • GambaGamba
    Sicut lilium inter spinas.
  • davido
    ryand not sure what ax you have to grind, but introducing a book with square notation in a lot of parishes could be political suicide. OP was pretty clear that a book perceived as traditional would not be acceptable, and the Pew Missal is definitely on the trad side
  • chonakchonak
    argentarius, did you give any consideration to the hymnals from Liturgical Press? They're still selling their 1990 Collegeville Hymnal for $10/copy. It has a lot of classic hymns, some '70s and '80s songs, and no square notation. (Its English Mass ordinaries are RM II, so only the Kyrie and Agnus Dei settings are usable). Of course, it doesn't have any post-1990 songs.

Of the five you've listed, I have not seen "We Celebrate", but of the rest Worship 4 is probably the one I'd favor.
  • Kobiashi Maru:

If anything traditional is prohibited, it is simply time to change that. Wear out your knees. Beg St Jude's help. Don't simply choose from among bad options.
    Thanked by 1rich_enough
  • ryandryand
    davido, no ax. My points are that the hymns in IPM are mostly good quality and that the section with square notes is not required for use. It does provide texts and you can use other psalm settings if you want. People don’t read music anymore anyway. Yes it is a more traditional resource - it’s also easily replaced if the experiment flops. It’s a stop-gap. And it may lead to better options in the future.

The alternatives are to buy either a permanent hymnal which locks the parish into sub standard music, or jump right into something like St Michael which would clearly flop.
  • I'm in my third year at my current parish. I inherited Gather Comprehensive (green one from 1994) and made that useable for about a year and a half. Last Advent we purchased RitualSong II. Definitely a step up, and I've been able to introduce a lot of really good hymnody while providing enough of the Haugen/Haas to keep peace. It's worth a look, and I enjoy having both Gelineau/Proulx and Guimont psalms to choose from.
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • SalieriSalieri
    I have not seen the new Ritual Snog, but I have seen the old one--a colleague inherited it at a parish he worked for, while not all is my cup of tea, it is serviceable, with a mix of the traditional hymns (sadly with altered texts, as is GIA's wont) and the standard Haugen-Hass repertory. A couple neighboring parishes use Gather & the Catholic Book of Worship (this is in the US, so how they managed to get enough copies of that is beyond me) so that they could use both the new stuff and the traditional hymns: RitualSong II would fulfill the same purpose without the duplication of books. If I were in a parish that was on an OCP diet, and wanted to incorporate more four-square hymns, I'd look into RitualSong, despite its pitfalls. https://www.giamusic.com/store/hymnals-ritual-song
    (If, however, I was in a parish with RitualSong, and I wanted to up the ante, I'd get Worship IV)
    Thanked by 1MNadalin
  • In regards to daily Mass propers, GIA's annual is decently priced, and includes the Sunday's readings as well as the daily propers. Though since most of our congregations have smaller groups for the daily Mass, I'm recommending buying several copies of ILP's Word & Eucharist Weekday edition for the daily needs. Get the Sunday readings in the big hymnal. The old folks will learn to adapt and rest it on the back of the pew in front of them. Or you can always get a mix of with/without readings for that. Worship IV was great since it was the first of the new translation hymnals published but it has its pitfalls as do all hymnals. Ritual Song 2 is a great choice to consider, it has a variety of those old standards from the 70s/80s everyone wants at their funerals while having a good selection of true Catholic hymnody, both traditional and modern (post 2000s).
    I highly suspect that the recent GIA/WLP merger may result in a new hymnal within the next two years. WLP was already set to publish their "Voices" Hymnal for Contemporary settings, and Ritual Song 2 already was a "joint" effort from the Big Three publishers.

The only good thing I can say about Journey Songs is that at least the accompaniment numbers are the same as the in pew, though the choral parts are still missing....
  • francis
    Yes. I concur. Wear out your knees and your beads. Dont compromise.
    Thanked by 1rich_enough
  • I have not seen two hymnals discussed that might be of use to the original poster.

Catholic Community Hymnal, GIA. The other is One In Faith, WLP, now distributed by GIA.

Each would meet the qualifications set forth.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Is GIA still producing the Catholic Community Hymnal? I thought that wasn’t included in their post-RM3 hymnal offerings
  • ghmus7
    If those are your only choices, i woukd go for WIV
  • I really don't understand the polemics around the St. Michæl hymnal. I used it at a parish for 2 years (prior to my departure) and rather liked it. It is more "traditional" in a certain respect, but it is far from being the VII hymnal, St. Gregory hymnal, Campion, etc. Mass settings aren't the greatest (although it does have some chant options which is great!) and I didn't use the introits, but at least you get sound hymnody, by and large. If the parish also has missalettes then you likely have access to all the extra dribble that you'd need.
  • I hope I'm not too late to the party. I will second a previous response mentioning Catholic Community Hymnal by GIA. It is a beautiful resource, about half the size of, say, Worship or Gather, and based upon the OP's indicated criteria, might fit the bill nicely. The only thing against it, and this might be a deal breaker, is the book hasn't been updated to the RM 3rd ed, so its Order of Mass and sung settings still use the previous translation.

Although I'm sure the OP's parish has long since settled this issue, another one that would serve you well is the 2003 edition of People's Mass Book (WLP) if it's still available, although it too suffers the same drawback mentioned above.

EDIT: A quick purusal of the GIA website shows that right now, only the support materials for CCH are available - not the actual pew books. But at the same time, I can obtain pew editions of Gather I, Gather II, Worship II, and Worship III. Go figure.
  • Thanks hcmusicguy.... I like both of your suggestions. I especially like the PMB, but as you mentioned the outdated Mass settings are a dealbreaker. We decided to go with We Celebrate, as it has much of the PMB material and we can weed out what we don't find worthy. With the pandemic, we have yet to place books in pews. We plan to do so with the revised edition starting Advent 2021. Thanks again.