Plicas in GABC?
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    A while ago I gave up on GABC and did some serious fiddling with Sibelius. Recently while trying to remember how to make liquescents (the tilda, listed under single note neumes) I wondered about the "etc." and tried combining it with a virga, to no avail. Is there really no way to get plicated notehead?
  • chonakchonak
    I haven't been familiar with this sort of notation at all, but here is an article about it from David Hiley: https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/11553869.pdf , with illustrations of some plicated note forms.

Features get added to Gregorio based on requests, so you may as well ask on the official Gregorio mailing list, which is read by the developers.

Lilypond, though, seems to have considerable flexibility about modifying notehead forms: for example: http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/modifying-stencils
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • rarty
    The full Gregorio documentation has an extensive table at the end that details the gabc notation for all supported glyphs.

For liquescence, the default font uses the Solesmes notation and uses the auctus/deminutus forms like their current books (made using -, ~, <, and >).

But there is a Dominican variant that can be used (\gresetgregoriofont[op]{greciliae}) that has many of the plicated note forms, and uses the same liquescence notation, e.g. (hV>).
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Very intriguing, but I'm still using online interfaces like Illuminare and can't see any differences between (gV<) and (gV). Am I correct in thinking the %font: line is only for lyrics?
  • rarty
    Ah, you're right, that site does not appear to support everything at the moment.

If you don't get it installed on your own computer, Mr. Bloomfield's jgabc code/font appears to supports these forms, so it will work in the dynamic rendering tools on his site, which look pretty good. Not sure if it can switch to the OP variant though, and to get a final pdf output, it links up with the Illuminare site.
    Thanked by 1Richard Mix
  • chonakchonak
    The Illuminare site runs an old edition of Gregorio. The version at run.gregoriochant.org (my site) has a more recent one, but doesn't include an option for the Dominican font.
    Thanked by 1Richard Mix