Easy English Mass Setting
  • Dear All,
    Would anyone have a very simple English language mass setting, perhaps based on Gregorian Chant what we could use and attempt to teach to our congregation?
    We have been singing the Gregorian ordinaries for this Mass since the start of Lent, but the Parish priest would like a more congregational approach to the ordinary of the Mass.

Any suggestions?

With thanks in anticipation

Eamon
  • Kathy
    Eamon, you might want to try the Mass of St. Agnes, http://www.canticanova.com/catalog/products/g_mass_st_agnes.htm
  • Pes
    It would be good to construct a graduated scale of Mass Ordinaries, from simple to complex, for each liturgical season. That would give everyone a clear sense of how to move toward the holy mountain, so to speak. Roughly:

EASTER SEASON

English Chant Mass I
    English Polyphonic Mass I
    Latin Chant Mass I
    Latin Polyphonic Mass I

English Chant Mass II
    English Polyphonic Mass II
    Latin Chant Mass II
    Latin Polyphonic Mass II

English Chant Mass III
    English Polyphonic Mass III
    Latin Chant Mass III
    Latin Polyphonic Mass III

ORDINAL TIME
    etc.

Does this make sense? Would this be useful? I sense that people have a fairly good sense of where to start, and a fairly good sense of where they want to end up, but there's a vast undifferentiated middle to clarify.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Dear Eamon,

you might explore these Mass Settings
  • Kathy
    Pes: YES
  • Pes
    Right, and those Roman numerals refer to levels, not settings. "English Chant Mass I" might be something from Marier, Kelly, Chabanel, Ford's BFW, etc.

Something to avoid, I think, is suggesting that Missa Simplex (from "Jubilate Deo") is somehow The Beginning, i.e. where everyone should start, regardless of season. This setting has chants from the Mass of the Dead. It is incongruous with Easter, as I think everyone will agree. But what do you do instead? "Lux et Origo"? That would be wonderful, but perhaps some congregations want to start somewhere simpler. What are the options? Hence the need for a graduated list. Roughly, of course. This isn't susceptible to great precision.

ASIDE: Jeff O, I love the work you're all doing, but to me, the saintly attributions are foregrounded too much. I could see someone becoming a little confused by it all.
  • francis
    I have some. You can see the Gloria from my Missa Brevis I on this forum under "seeking suggestions for Gloria in English". Are you looking for something for satb and cong or just organ and cong?
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    I've used elements of this simple sung ordinary and Arlene's Ambrosian style setting before, both from the St. Cecilia Schola site.
  • Thanks for this one and all.

Pes: At the moment we are starting from the very basics in terms of encouraging the congregation to sing at all. We (the choir) have been singing an appropriate Gregorian Mass setting each Sunday, now the Parish Priest wants to bring about a more congregational approach to the ordinary of the Mass. The ideal would, indeed, be a 'stepped' approach from simple to solemn, but in Belfast this is a long way off! Thank you.

Kathy and Jeff: I will definately look into these. Thanks so much.

Francis: I found your gloria initially and once we have tackled the Kyrie and Sanctus with the folks (the choir tend to sing a polyphonic Agnus Dei when we can) we will have a go at your Gloria. Thank you.

Mark M: I'm looking into those today. Thanks.

We have begun singing an english transliteration of Mass XVIII with the people (these are people who DO NOT SING and are very reserved in answering the responses at Mass), and they sang the Kyrie well last Sunday, so I hope they continue as well. Does anyone have any tips for teaching reticent congregations? If they aren't happily singing after a month or so the Parish Priest may just revert to the choir singing everything (which, although makes my life easier, would be unfortunate).
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Eamon,

God bless you for all you do!
  • Consider looking at David Hurd's "New Plainsong Mass".
  • benedictgal
    I would also look at Proulx's A Community Mass. It is not very hard to sing and it is faithful to the current text. There were times in my old parish when we did not have an organist (or the organ just up and died) and we were able to sing this accapella. It is not that hard.
  • Has anyone used any of James MacMillan's easier Mass settings with congregational parts?
    It would be great to have few settings by major/prominent Catholic composers out there--not to disparange (even implicitly) the excellent work of less-well-known Catholic composers, but to counter the commercial syndicalist publications by the major 'houses' exploiting parishes and dioceses.