No more French vowels in Latin!
  • Argh! I can't take it no more...

While I appreciate French speaking monks and generally admire their phrasing, the cramped and squishy vowels are causing me to become unhinged. Listen to the [o] vowel especially. If some group of Americans sings chant with say, an Arkansas or New Jersey accent, its unacceptable for recording. So remind me why its ok for French speakers to butcher Latin!?!?!

Any distasteful appeals to 'that's the French tradition' will be scorned. Really, why can't they (at least try to) sing Church Latin like the rest of us?
    Thanked by 1SteveOttomanyi
  • GavinGavin
    Church Latin, or anything else in the Church, is not defined by Italy alone. Deo Gracias!

This said as someone who clings to his French O vowels until death.
  • There are times when I share your thoughts when listening to Solesmes or others. But, to be fair, the Germans and most everyone speaks 'Church Latin' with an accent. Even if we get our singers to erase their Arkansas, or New Jersey (or Texas!) accents, a basically English tongue is yet discernable. This is merely human and cannot be avoided. At least nowadays (and as of only 100 years or so ago!) we have the international convention of a quasi-Italianate Church Latin. In times before that everyone everwhere pronounced her Latin as though it were her own vernacular language... which meant that the international language that Latin was supposed to be was often difficult if not impossible to understand from one 'nation' to the next. So great a scholar as Erasmus complained about this. Indeed, except within the Church, this is still the case: the medical professions, botanists and other scientists butcher their Latin; and in British universities (like those elsewhere) Latin continues to be Anglicised to an extent that we in America would consider a sign of ignorance.
  • M. Jackson Osborn,
    I concur with your rationalization and have observed what you describe, notably with Germans... Yes its human, but so is going flat and playing lots of wrong notes, etc. Even considering limitations, we should strive to do our best with diction. I'm also aware of the general history of vernacular imposition on Latin, and it makes perfect sense. (Would love to hear the Erasmus complaint.)

Still, the French are so vulgar (pun intended) about this. If the text of the chant is to be illuminated, to have primacy, and the text is in Latin, shouldn't the singing have more than a slight flavor of Latin? I consider that the Italianate Latin basically has five vowels, while the French has more than three times that amount... Sometimes the French distortion of the vowels goes so far as to obscure the text, and can't we all agree that is problematic?

To be clear, I love singing in French and have nothing against French or France per se.

But- this goes for Gavin, too- it seems reasonable that Italian would be the standard for Latin over French, considering the old empire which gave life to the language was centered in (now) Italy, and not in France. Also, modern French is a much different bird than the French that would have been spoken when the chants were written...

What I am left to ponder is this. Could it be that the French take such immense pride in their language that their tongues simply will not bend when speaking other ones? I'm just askin'.
  • About the tongues of the French: you are quite possibly right! (Should we chastise them or pity them???)
  • miacoyne
    I'm so glad this came up. I'd like to know correct "O" sound. As singing Mum says, I want to sing it as correctly as possible. Our latin teacher says latin "o" should sound like 'O' as in 'caught.' I listened mostly to French singing chants, It seems 'O' in 'Gloria' is different from 'O! Jesu." When we do vowel exercises in our shcola, how much open or close our lips is an issue.
    When the children sings Kyrie XVI, I asked to focus on more closed 'o' sound (and demonstrate) at the end, and it was amazing that by doing that ,they even corrected the singing of the last 6 notes on "O.'
  • CharlesW
    I suspect we will never know correct Latin pronunciations unless we can resurrect Cicero. We all butcher Latin, and probably chant as well, since we have no idea how either originally sounded. Latin scholars tell me that the Latin of the church is essentially "trash" Latin and is a wretchedly corrupted version of the language to begin with. So take your pick. Whether you like your Latin with an Italian, French or German flavor, enjoy yourself and don't worry about it. You may be wrong, but it's likely your critics are, also.
  • priorstf
    CharlesW - The only problem with such a resurrection would be figuring if we are meeting Sisseroh or Kickeroh! I learned Latin in northeast Ohio, modified by northern California and central Texas and I figure that's just about the right balance. Marc Anthony would be proud. As our schola long ago accepted, when somebody comes up to us with a correction to our pronunciation we shall respond with an insistence that they join!
  • CharlesW
    Makes perfectly good sense to me. :-)
  • Pes
    Oh, bosh on the whole classical Latin approach. I will never sing "mikki magna" since it's a) ugly, and b) closes off airflow.

:-P
  • Would love to hear St. Ambrose sing in Latin, but short of that, Latin pronunciation no matter how hard any of us try will betray our own language of origin. The best place to turn is Allen's Vox Latina. However, even if we have a very good idea about how spoken Latin was pronounced, with its long and short varieties of vowels (for which all the evidence shows differed qualitatively and not just quantitatively, with the exception of A), we have very little evidence about how it sounded sung. There could be as much difference between sung and spoken Latin as there is between sung and spoken French.
  • I'm with ya, Pes.
    I'm also glad we didn't get mired in this bog down at the Winter Intensive in SD. A couple of issues (ecce "mihi=mee-kee") came up which Maestro Turkington deftly put to rest, I suspect just to keep momentum. But I distinctly remember his consistent usage of the more open "e" formation because I will never forget one of the worst episodes of my undergrad years. In choral teaching pedagogy, I was presenting a "how-to sing Latin diction in 10 minutes" to the class. At the time, I used the more open "e" as well, so the somewhat mitigated "ah-lay-LOO-yah" was demo'd. However, present in the class was a visiting Israeli choral conductor, who excoriated me after the presentation mercilessly for polluting that particular vowel; "had I never read this, never heard that..." It seemed his irritation went on for hours while my professor and the class squirmed in their seats. Needless to say, from that I've always deferred to Roman Latin pro-and enunciation as is found in most of the recent books and pamphlets.
  • Pes
    Did he say anything about "eleison"? I hear "ay-LAY-ee-sahn" predominate, but somewhere I've read (and heard) "ay-LEH-ee-sohn." The latter has advantages: you get a clearer separation of syllables two and three (which are frequently set to different pitches), and the short "o" produces a nicer overtone than does the shwa. Thoughts?

Oh, and I've heard it's closer to the Greek -- but then, I've never been to Greece.
  • incantuincantu
    As a vocal pedagogue, I am less concerned with "correct" pronunciation of Latin than with efficient vocal production; as a conductor, with beauty of tone. No sooner would I allow my French choir to sing the "oi" in "gloire" as in the American English "cat" than my English-speaking voice students to sing "how high the sky" with four different main vowel sounds.
    While French, Germans, and Italians might pronounce the phoneme [o] slightly differently, it is still essentially the same sound. (Incidentally, two Germans or two Italians would also pronounce it differently, and any one person would sing it differently on different pitches). The same goes for [a]. However, if one has so much [^] (as in "truck") in their "a" vowel that it no longer sounds like [a], then that is not a regional variant; it is inefficient vocal production. In short, I approve of regional variants so long as they approach the same ideal. What I absolutely cannot abide is the singing of Mozart with so-called "German" Latin by non-Germans simply because Mozart was a Germanic composer, which seems to be de rigeur in certain choral circles.
  • mjballoumjballou
    As a schola director and singer, I am most concerned with getting the music sung in the most beautiful way my singers can achieve at that moment in time. Consequently, I tread a middle ground: we have a guide to ecclesiastical pronunciation that I selected for the group and we stick with it. I work with singers who have problems straightening out the "c"s and "g"s between hard and soft. And we vocalize on the best vowels I can get out of them.

More than that I have to leave to pedagogues, professors, pedants, and people with way more rehearsal time than I will ever have.

But I do enjoy the discussions.
  • incantu, any chance you will be at the Colloquium? I am a vocal pedagogue as well, and would love to meet you.

In my teaching I find that pure vowels do impact efficient vocal production, and that striving for (relatively) correct Latin diction helps production immensely. This is especially the case when working with a group of people who are not matching vowels. Certainly native speakers or anyone else will pronounce any vowel in a slightly different matter.

But I maintain that many recordings of French speakers singing Latin chant are well outside a spectrum of modest variety. The French is often superimposed to such a degree that it obscures the Latin, which is what drives me nuts.

Most amateur singers are led by their ear to mimic the sound of what they hear. And if they are learning their notes from a recording, they are also most often unwittingly absorbing and putting to muscle memory everything else they hear. After so many years directing and singing in a variety of choirs, I have found that, regardless of the finer pronunciation choices a director makes, modeling, including diction, is really vital to achieve a cohesive sound.
  • miacoyne
    I agree. I think I will follow latin pronounciation guides in chant books such as PBC and LU. They seemed to agree. And our schola will focus on unifying the pronounciation among us, and with those basics, we have to use our aesthetical and artistic judgements and skills to make music more beautiful.
  • WGS
    I am pleased to abide by the pronunciation of vowels as recommended in the Liber Usualis. (page xxxvj)

A as in father
    E as in red
    I as in feet
    O as in for
    U as in moon
    Y treated as the Latin I

then AE = OE = E

That about does it. Keep in mind that this "Roman style" of "liturgical" pronunciation of Latin is different from "Ecclesiastical" Latin which retains a difference between long and short vowels.
  • Incantu - I am not so hidebound that I cannot enjoy a 'normal' performance of Mozart or Tallis, or... However, I cannot share your disdain of those performances which might take into consideration the probable or 'most likely' vocal idioms of past ages and places. This is, after all, part and parcel of what our forebears' music sounded like to them, and part and parcel, therefore, of our eye-opening appreciation of what 'their' music sounded like. It becomes even more alive - living. After all, were it not for modern scholarship we would still be thinking that people who play Bach as if he were Brahms, or Couperin without ornaments, were great scholars and artists. Vocal production is but another essential facet, characteristic, of the treasure of music which we claim to love. One of my favourite CDs is a performance of the entire Sarum Mass for Christmas Day directed by Paul McCreesh in which the probable English pronounciation of Latin in England at the turn of the XVIth cent is reproduced with a reasonable, likely, degree of accuracy. One can and does just as well appreciate music of the period without such musicological niceties, but their utilisation, it would seem to me, certainly adds to our identification with the people who wrote and heard it; lets us hear it in a refreshingly new (old?) light. How can one not abide such offerings? Besides: I should think such distinctions would be fascinating to, of all people, vocal pedagogues!
  • JDE
    It's ironic that the SOlesmes brothers sing the vowels in that bizarre fashion because they're the ones who edited the Liber Usualis and the frontmatter with the pronunciation guide ... which they blatantly ignore.
  • Yurodivi-
    Excellent point. Its a mystery.
  • Pes, I've actually heard more than one distinguished choir interpret the vowels as the opposite: "Eh-LAY-ee-sawn."
    I defer to my more knowledgeable and less loquacious colleagues with simply going for the unified vowel solution under any situational circumstances.
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    Oh, PLEASE.

What makes any of us think that because the vowel formations for Latin are carefully described in the English preface to the Liber Usualis there is somehow an automatic guarantee that every nationality is going to be entirely capable of rendering Latin vowels with the sterile, scrubbed, sanitized Midwest neutral vowel formations we've unanimously established as the norm!

When I first heard a recording of a native French schola (Le Chant du Roi) singing the Veni Creator with their unique vowel formations, I found it fascinating as well as informative. In my experience, hearing the French singing in particular informed me that the language and the musical style (especially in the "Old French" school of organ alternatim) have an interconnection that is not only unique, but artistically subtle and important for the musical identity of the French expression of Catholic music.

Shame on us for being so critical of the wonderful variations found in the pronunciation of ecclesiastical Latin!
  • David Andrew: Ditto and Bravo!
  • David Andrew,
    If Latin is the universal language of the Roman Rite, it makes sense to implement standardization set forth in the Liber and elsewhere. Why do you think such attempts have been made? They didn't originate in the midwest, that's for certain.

Diction matters because ensemble and the clarity of the prayers matter. If one argument used to retain Latin in the liturgy is that is is a unifying factor because multi-ethnic congregations increasingly come together to worship, then why not sing in a relatively unified way? Its worth wondering.

Another element of this discussion is that the vast bulk of organists are not trained in diction the way singers are. Perhaps what an instrumentalist considers subtle a singer would consider jarring, considering differences in their musical background.

With respect, I feel no shame in being critical. :)
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I guess I better stay out of this, because I actually like the way the French pronounce Latin.
  • CharlesW
    Like a tempest these singers do rage, but oft produce a tempest in a teapot. ;-) Obviously, even we organists want our singers to be understood. Otherwise, we might as well play and forget singing. Diction is good, but it can be overdone like anything else. Regional accents are a reality, and in my area, vowels are often not so bad, but the consonants disappear. We always have to work on that. I think you have to know your people and their strengths and weaknesses. I find I am usually working on similar problems in both Latin and English.
  • You can put me firmly in the Italianate Latin camp--I try to get my schola to stick to 5 vowels. Here in the DC area, many people come from various parts of the country--and abroad--so choirs have to deal with the variations of vowels from various regions. Then there are the many diphthongs that English speakers use without even realizing it.

Then there's the constant battle against the Amerrrican Arrrrr.
  • JDE
    Brothers and sisters,

the Solesmes brothers also wrote the English introduction to the Liber Usualis.

And remind me again, where exactly is Rome? The last time I checked, it was not in France!

I rest my case. (sarcasm off)
  • CharlesW
    Actually it was in France from 1309 to 1377 during which time 7 Bishops of Rome resided in Avignon. ;-)
  • kevinfkevinf
    J'aime chanter en francais. Pourqoui vous n'aimez pas les vowels du francais? Vous-etes puristi?

Sorry, I just had to have a little fun.
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    The French speak English with an accent, just as the Germans, the Italians, the Spanish, etc. And, they each speak each other's languages with accents as well.

Why on earth should we expect, simply because Latin is a universal language of the Roman Rite that these other nationalities should be expected to pronounce Latin without an accent that is peculiar to their own language? As one who has struggled to learn and speak French, I'm aware that there are vowels inherent in the French language that are totally alien to the universe of English vowels; the various ways that the "e" can be pronounced, or the "o", for example.

Our own Holy Father pronounces Latin with a Bavarian accent. Shall we berate and bullyrag him for not pronouncing the language of the Rite for which he is the supreme leader? Shall we insist that our Pontiffs only come from Italy since that's where Rome is located? Sarcasm back on, Yurovidi.

I'm ashamed at the arrogance displayed in this thread by certain members who I'm sure are otherwise both tollerant of diversity (in the true sense, not the PC sense) and also intellectually honest in their positions.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Excellent comments David. Le francais est difficile, n'est pas?

While I am in the neighborhood, do not lump all of us organists together. I happen to be an organist who teaches voice, sometimes on the college level. And several of my students have gone on to decent careers and auditions. I take pride in my vocal teaching and yet I adore Tournemire, Widor and the like.

Be careful who you try to shoe! Je suis l'enfant terrible ce soir.
  • Mary Ann, you said that "considering the old empire which gave life to the language was centered in (now) Italy, and not in France." Can we not admit that it was the Franks who created "Gregorian" chant, though? Personally, I like the regional variants as long as the vowel sounds don't send the notes out of tune. Vive l'difference!
  • Kevin,
    That's why I'm careful to say 'most' organists. You are a blessed rarity, you must admit. J'aime chanter en francais aussi. J'aime opera en francais et melodie.

Here's a question for you as a voice teacher: Would judges or auditioners tolerate French with a stridently American or Spanish or Czech accent? Of course not. Why should we accept Frenchified Latin?

Michael,
    I concede your point about the Franks creating much (certainly not all) of Gregorian chant. But their texts were still Latin. And I do maintain that early French would be much different than its modern counterpart, and more toward Latin if spellings are an indication.

Again, I understand regional variants. As long as its recognizable, which is problematic for Solesmes, etc.

David Andrew,
    Arrogance is just my point. Don't you see the irony? It is not a certain strand of arrogance that SOME French speakers insist on 'coloring' Latin with their own language? Does it not strike you as funny that the no other group does this to such a degree? When is the last time you heard a deluge of Australian or Hungarian or Finnish or American tinged chant?

Please go easy on the shame talk. I like French, its just that I like it when speaking or singing *French*. Accents are not always an obstacle, unless the language being attempted is obscured.
  • For those who value diversity over unity in diction, do you apply the same ideas to other aspects of music?

I mean, if a schola were to sing a very sharp fa and a very flat ti... would it bother you? Do you have an issue with the standardization of pitch, which is also quite different in various parts of the world?
  • Maureen
    Ancient Rome, like New York and other great cities, had many different native Latin accents. The ancient Roman Empire, when it wasn't speaking Greek, also contained a variety of native Latin accents. Logically, therefore, Europeans also have a variety of Latin accents, many of which may even go back to ancient times. I don't know why this bothers people. It's how language works.

As long as everybody in a schola or congregation picks the same consistent pronunciation during a piece and sticks with it, and as long as their director is happy with it, I don't really see any problem. If somebody's pronunciation isn't to your taste, they aren't putting a gun to your head and making you buy their CDs.

And when we sing, whatever the director says, we do.

But I must admit that I just don't see the sense in singing backward-c O's (as in 'cot' or 'for' or whatever other impossible sound somebody's trying this week). It's not at all the sound for O that we learned in classical Latin class, and I can't imagine how anyone indicates quantity with it. My dialect of American English doesn't really contain that sound (which is always endlessly amusing when you're taking linguistics class and learning the IPA), and it sounds like an "ah" got stuck in your mouth. In fact, an A is what everyone will hear, whether or not you master the backward-c sound; and it's no end of confusing for people who learned Latin under most normal systems. So if you're not spending time in France or wherever, I don't see why you'd want to attempt this sound at all.
  • miacoyne
    Slight varieties in latin pronounciation, varieties in listners' aritistic sensibilities to them. I think we can respect that. I wonder how it would sound when those French schola sings with American midwest schola, Korean schola...together in an international gathering.
    Certain level of varieties from different regions and ethnic groups are unavoidable. But also I want to think that after the Church took Latin as Her universal language and Gregorian chant as Her song, the spirit of universality has to be present in singing Gregorian chant in liturgy, over one's preference to a certain diverted form. I think the pronunciation guide in LU (the common book ) can be our guide either it is done by French or someone else. If it's not an accepted guide, maybe we should have one. (maybe latin scholars can come up with something better if they think it's not good, until then we have LU) Also I don't understand why people keep talking about how latin is used before it became the Church's official language. Does it really matter? Maybe it wasn't as diginified as other languages. But our almighty God often uses and raises the lowly to a high place. I don't see how latin is used as a secular language before it became sacred should affect how it is used now.
  • chonakchonak
    Dixit Mater Cantatrix, MA:

Here's a question for you as a voice teacher: Would judges or auditioners tolerate French with a stridently American or Spanish or Czech accent? Of course not. Why should we accept Frenchified Latin?

Let's compare Latin with another language that has a similarly broad geographical range: English. How do we feel about English sung with a notable Scots, (East) Indian, or Caribbean accent?
  • JDE
    It's true that the chant was contributed mainly by the Franks, but (as mentioned above) it was still Latin chant. If the Solesmes brothers aren't going to go by their own material, why did they publish it in the first place?

In any case, it makes sense to me from a linguistic standpoint to use the pronunciation from the same geographical area where the language was originally centered, rather than from somewhere far away on the other side of the Rubicon.

From a vocal standpoint, it makes sense to me to use nice, open, sunny, Italianate vowels rather than pinched-off, nasal, Frenchified ones where there is a choice. If I were singing Après un Rêve, I would use French vowels; but not if it were Post Somnium.
  • JDE
    And to answer Chonak's last post -- I would (and do) encourage a standardized pronunciation of English in singing, no matter the origin of the singer. I can tell you firsthand the pins and needles feeling of singing in a foreign language in front of an audience of native speakers. It's thoroughly enervating. But one tries to sing in the standard pronunciation unless something is meant to be dialect (like Carlisle Floyd's Susannah, for instance).
  • JDE
    I would also point out that the little sojourn in Avignon is referred to as the "Babylonian Captivity," not "The Church's Holiday in the South of France." I certainly wouldn't go Frenchifying Latin based on a little hostage situation like that.
  • CharlesW
    I have come to understand why the French adopted organ masses. No singers. Good Idea. ;-) Just kidding, although singers can at times make one wish that they all be cursed with excessive vibrato. I suspect we all try to use the best diction possible, but there are still those local variations that will always exist.
  • I concur with Yurodivi and David Sullivan's position on the sense of Italianate vowels. Yurodivi makes total sense- 'If I were singing Après un Rêve, I would use French vowels; but not if it were Post Somnium.'

And I would answer Chonak's question on English and its standardization the same way Yurodivi did. That's my approach in performing and teaching.

CharlesW,
    It seems you are a reasonable AND humorous organist. What a delightful rarity! :)
    There are so many levels of singers, but a trained singer in good vocal condition can adapt vibrato so its not excessive.

Maureen,
    Good points in all. You are right that no one is forcing me to buy Frenchified CDs. However, I regret that they are used for pedagogical purposes because I think the mushy diction has not been a gift to those who want to sing chant well. I also have several in my own library because of their historical value. But I can only take a little at a time. :)
  • While we're making ourselves crazy (and I've finished teaching Greek and Latin for the day), does anybody try to distinguish between the broad and slender l's. Priscian is quite clear that there were different pronunciation of this consonant. Maybe you have to be a native Gaelic speaker to do those two sounds justice consistently.

People complain about the way that Americans sing Latin just like some people here complain about the French. We have accents, we do our best. I know several Italian and Spanish speakers who say that Americans can't sing pure long vowels without turning them into diphthongs (as mentioned by David). I hear myself doing it, but I am helpless to stop myself. The fact that Americans are criticizing the vowels of another language seems to be a stones and glass houses situation.

However, simply making a beautiful sound doesn't hack it either. We are singing the words of the mass. Unless we want to priest to read first quietly everything we sing, we have to do justice to the words as real language. My students sometimes ask me why some verbs govern the accusative and others govern the dative, hoping that I will simplify the language. I tell them I'm not making this up, and it's too late the change Latin.
  • miacoyne
    The following is from "Understanding the Latin Mass: Hear and Learn the Words of the Novus Ordo"
    by Marion P. Smedberg

"Latin, by being an unchanging language, protects the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church, and helps to keep the Church true to Tradition. Appreciate the beauty of Latin as a sacred liturgical language, which unites Catholics around the world and over the centuries. And take every opportunity to celebrate the music composed for the Latin liturgy; for it is truly a "treasure of inestimable value," as the Second Vatican Council stated in The Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy.

Regarding the correct pronunciation of Latin words, vowels, and consonants, we are not concerned with the delicate question of how the ancient Romans pronounced their native language but only with the pronunciation of the living Liturgical Latin of the Church. Our aim, therefore, in compliance with the wishes of Pope St. Pius X (as well as of his successors), is to pronounce and speak Latin more Romano (in the Roman style). Referring to this Liturgical Pronunciation of Latin, Pope Pius XI, in a letter to Card Dubois of Paris, expressed himself: "Not content like Our Predecessors, Pius X and Benedict XV, simply to approve this pronunciation, We Ourselves express the keenest desire that [ . . . ] every nation shall endeavor to adopt it when carrying out the liturgical functions."

French is a very pretty language, and many people are attracted to it, including me (very much). But heavily French accented Latin should not be overrated because of our attraction to a certain lagnuage.
    In regard to the grammar, as a non Enlgish speaker, I see Latin is less confusing than Enlgish. (although there are lots of rules to remember) English has so much exceptions and different pronounciations. It's just people who are used to that language don't seem to notice that. Our schola started a latin class, and the instructor has emphasized to start with English grammar. And many grown ups were embarrassed how little they knew about the grammar, and how little the public school teach grammar these days. Some of home schooled teens in the class were very well equipped to learn latin and understood much better than many adults in the class, because many home schooled children are still learning disciplines of the grammar.
  • Despite the great variety of accents and the influences of regional tongues to which witness has been given here, a goodly number of us continue to conceive an approach in which our Latin would be spoken 'everywhere and by all' in a reasonably uniform manner. The style we have in mind is one in which basically Italianate vowels would be enunciated purely in a manner that would sound 'normal' to one of our more literate American (perhaps slightly Briticised) patterns of speech. This, presumably, would be an universal standard of conformity to which all would acquiesce glady. As noted above, such a convention never existed more than a hundred years ago, and even then, it was hardly a vehicle for the uniformity of finely spoken Latin that is wished for my many. Rather, there remained a pot pourri of accents both national and international. Just in the US there was no doubt that the speaker of Latin was from Brooklyn, Boston, Queens, Arkansaw, or Texis. And, if I had a choice, I should choose French Latin over Texas (not to mention loud-mouth mid-west) Latin any day. These linguistic markers are with us by nature. The important thing is that, whatever our dialect, we sing it artfully, with true and deliberate grace. And that we treasure, appreciate, a 'foreign' accent in Latin just as we do in English. For me, the fault with much French chant is not the 'accent' but the great tendency to vibrato and the often serious lack of blend and choral unity -
    problems which are overcome with much great success by some Germans, Austrians, even Italians (Alberto Turco gets special mention), and the likes of Chanticleer.
    There are charm and honesty in accents: they are not barriers but elements of an artful and linguistic creativity. (At least the not-too-distant-past age in which far too many priests boasted that they could get through a mass in fifteen or less minutes [including strong regional accent] is gone. The pre-Counciliar world was not at all what many people dream that it was.)
  • M. Jackson Osborn,
    Your main point seems to be that accents in Latin are not troubling. Is this really about celebrating regional charm or ignoring an important aspect of vocal training? With respect, I would ask again,
    if you value diversity over unity in diction, do you apply the same ideas to other aspects of music?

I mean, if a schola were to consistently sing a very sharp fa and a very flat ti... would it bother you? Do you have an issue with the standardization of pitch, which is also quite different in various parts of the world?

Clear, unified vowels are important to tone production and artful choral singing. Since no one is speaking Latin as a native speaker, it is a good idea to have a standardized way to pronounce the vowels, at least to attempt this.
  • chonakchonak
    Which is correct: Brazilian Portuguese, or continental?
  • MA -
    Your points are well taken, and do indeed reflect my own frequent concerns. 1) Concerning accents, there are, actually, some that disturb me more than others whether one is singing in Latin OR English - for instance, some characteristics of a Bostonian accent are quite less grating than most characteristics of a Texas accent (and, one could list further parallels). Most of us would not be averse to a British accent, whereas we likely would consider a Georgia accent in need of tutoring. Others of us would, doubtless, have their own lists of pleasurable ('educated') and not pleasurable ('un-educated') accents in singing. My point, then, was not so much concerned with my prefered ideal, but with the reality that accents exist everywhere and that some we accept as 'kosher' and others we do not. Some are more maleable than others in reaching conformity to our Cultivated & Conventional Standard of Church Latin as put forth in many texts and chant books. But, even when we tutor our singers as needed to adjust to that Convention, traces of accent will inevitably remain: it is ineluctible that, even when following the 'rules' for pronouncing Church Latin, the results will vary from North to South to West, or from language to language. It takes much intense tutoring to obliviate congenital vocal habits (such as getting Texans to sing 'our', not 'are'). And, when we have got our singers where we want them we may well find that the singers from another place sound just as good to us but different if not better. So, to address your impression of my point: some accents Are troubling... others are not. This means, to me, that this is more about vocal aesthesis than about a mythical proper pronunciation of Latin. 2) You raise the question of pitch. Of course, 'out of tunness' bothers me. But this question is, also, not without qualification, and, like that of accents, may be more one of aesthetics than of an arbitrary system of tuning. Is, for instance, an organ playing out of tune if it is in mean-tone (or singers if they are attempting to reconstruct what pre-well tempered ears heard)? The answer is, naturally, yes and no. Thus, tuning, too, is not an absolute in all performing situations. But, relative to the tuning system that is being applied to a given musical endeavour, 'out-of-tunness' is obviously a negative experience.

An aside on the 'accent question' - the Bach Collegium Japan, whose recording of B's Easter Oratorio I have been listening to, is an astounding group to hear, and an example of how, in fact, some people, when determined, can overcome their own native speech (in this case, Japanese) to imitate the speech of others. If one heard this group without knowing who they were, one would be utterly certain that they and their original instrument orchestra were Bach scholars from Leipzig. But, this is an example of a very dedicated scholarly society whose goal has been the mimicking (I use the word non-pejoratively, perhaps 'mastery' would be better) of the objective artistic characteristics of a musical culture other than their own. To the extent that their Bach is, in fact, better than that of some Germans!
  • miacoyne
    If I had to direct a schola made of, let's say 5 members with accents from all different countries; France, Germany, Japan, Africa, Korea, (which will become more common in a mobilized world,). I can think of 3 options in diction, which I believe is an important musical element in singing.
    1. Aknowledge that they all have different accents, but try to unify all different accents and pronounciations following the standardized pronounciation guide,( in this case Italinated, whether they are perfect or not, and whether I like it or not). Or,

2. I pick my favorite accent and pronounciation, such as French, and have other members follow that. Or.
    3. Don't bother to unify the pronounciation, because they all have strong accents.

My schola gather every week for chant 'class', we don't call it just a 'choir practice'. We study and strive towards for a perfection both musically and spritually, even if we may not get there in our life time. This may sound impractical and inefficiant for some 'practical minds,' but that's our goal. Also one of our goal in our ministry is bringing the sense of Unity through our Church's traditional and official language.
    The Church has shown deep appreciation of diviersity, especailly in missionary countries, as the church is getting spread so widely, and gave permission to use vernacular. But She also empahasizes the unity and bringing all different cultures to the highest level in glorifying God and sanctifying the faithful of one true community of Christ. That spirit is present in singing Gregorian chant, which is different from other music.

By the way, in Korean, there are no 'f' and 'v' sounds, and many people will replace them with 'p' and 'b' there. So if you go there and hear someone say 'coppy,' it means 'coffee.' It's not easy, but we learn the language by mimicking others. I don't think I want to hear Korean schola sing "p' and 'b' when it supposed to be 'f' and 'v.' We might not sound perfect like westerners, but we have to at least try.