Anglican Use Conference: what should a visitor to Houston plan to see/do?
  • I will probably be in Houston for the Anglican Use Conference and wanted to find out what else a Catholic church musician would likely find edifying and diverting around that time. Churches? Sights? Events?
  • DBP -
    Here are a few things that come to mind at the moment (I will add more later, as they come to me).
    >The Villa de Matel - a convent chapel of outstanding Romanesque beauty, built in the thirties. Visser-Rowland organ
    >St Mary's Seminary Chapel, a Romanesque architectural treat, built (thankfully) just before the Council (very bad and decrepit organ, though).
    >The Church of St Vincent de Paul, good fifties modern church with a fine Reger organ
    >Co-Cathedral of the Sacred Heart, one year old, very disappointing as a work of monumental architectural art, Martin Pasi organ due this summer
    >St Anne's Church, a Spanish colonial architectural treat from the thirties (same architect as the Villa), with a Visser-Rowland organ
    >Christ Church Cathedral (Episcopal) - lovely XIX. cent Gothic revival with a marvelous Aeolian Skinner and some outstanding stained glass, some by Tiffany
    >Holy Rosary - Norman Gothic from the thirties - fine glass, no real organ
    >Palmer Memorial (Episcopal) - Italian renaissance with a fine Fisk organ (this church copied after one in Venice in which the sanctuary is
    about eight steps above the nave so that a canal could pass under it) beautiful building, outstanding organ
    >The Church of our Lady of Walsingham - architect: the successors to Ralph Adams Cram, XV. cent English Gothic, Redman (rebuilt) organ of about 20 ranks, very fine stained glass, the high altar a replica of that of the Slipper Chapel at the Shrine in England - the Tabernacle, designed just for us, is a representation of the Ark of the Covenant.
    >Rice University - some outstanding architecture from early XX. cent. to now, in a style developed for the campus by Ralph Adams Cram - a rich mixture of
    Renaissance classicism, Moorish, and Gothic influences. The organ in Alice Pratt-Brown Hall is a large Fisk-Rosales in a room which really does have 'cathedral acoustics'.
    >The Museum of Fine Arts - a rich and varied collection from numerous cultures crowned by a very fine European collection which spans the centuries from
    mediaeval to modern, with a decent showing of Classical sculpture, bronze, and artifacts. The original building is Greek in the Ionic Order with a 60's wing by Mies van der Rohe, joined by a new, very contemporary neighbouring building.
    >The Menil Collection - an eclectic array of modern, surrealist, and early works, together with some very fine mediaeval and classic works, sculptures & artifacts. Architect: Phillip Johnson. A nearby building in the shape of a mediaeval Greek church houses some Byzantine frescos from Cyprus.
    >St Basil's Chapel at the Univ of St Thomas - austere, with outstanding acoustics, by Phillip Johnson - disappointing organ by Schoenstein
    >If you like theatre, there may be something of interest playing at the famed Alley Theatre, downtown
    >Ditto the Houston Symphony at Jones Hall, downtown
    >Christ the King Lutheran Church near Rice Univ is an interesting building with a fine and famed Bach organ inspired by Schnitger instruments
    >The Church of St John the Divine (Episcopal) on River Oaks Blvd - a fine fifties building reminiscent of F L Wright, with new Letourneau organ
    >There are numerous chamber and early music societies, such as Mercury Baroque, etc., which may have offerings, though the season is pretty
    much over by June.
    >Numerous good restaurants - a favourite: The Black Labrador, an English pub with very fine food and atmosphere
    >More later if something worthy comes to mind.
    >Looking forward to meeting you. Are you Anglican Use?
  • Wow! Great stuff.

I'm not officially Anglican Use, since there's no entity here in the Baltimore/Washington area. I'm a former Anglican/Episcolupian, brought up in a hot-weather cathedral (Florida), long-time Episcopal parish musician ('till 2004), musical scholar (diss: Uniform and Catholic: Church Music in the Reign of Mary Tudor), now teaching f/t in Baltimore and working p/t in a 'reform of the reform' OF parish in the Washington archdiocese. I'm extremely interested in the Anglican Use from the perspective of evangelism. It's very difficult to advocate that devoutly orthodox Anglican would-be converts in Baltimore become Catholic, only to need to warn them that they will have to choose on Sunday between an EF Mass with absolutely no parish life or OF Masses that will brutalize every aesthetic, literary, and liturgical principle they hold dear.

I'm almost certainly that I'll be at the conference.
  • I hope to see you at the conference. You are so, so, right. I don't think the majority of Catholics comprehend how really Catholic devoutly orthodox Anglicans are - and how UnThinkable it is for them to 'convert' into a Church which passes off what it does as liturgy of the Roman (or Western) Rite, which betrays hardly more than a purely formal connection with Magisterium. Alas, the Anglican story is all the more lamentable since they threw their claim to Apostolical lineage and authority to the winds with the what-would-be ordinations of women, & cet.
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    "Chiming" in here! There's also St. Thomas Episcopal in Meyerland - a very conservative Episcopal institution (i.e. 1928 Prayerbook/1940 Hymnal) with a 13-year school, the first peal of English bells for change ringing west of the Mississippi, and Catholic Headmaster, and about 15% Catholic student body, and a World Champion bagpipe band.

St. Paul's Methodist and Palmer Memorial Episcopal Churches also have change ringing now.
  • Yes, Steve (greetings!), St Thomas', with its rather bland, clumsy, adaptation of a Romanesque architectural vocabulary, would be of interest to visit. It has a relatively new three manual Shoenstein. And, if one is there when the pipe band is practicing, that is always a treat. When did Palmer aquire enough bells for change ringing? This must be Very Recent. (One might add that our bells at Walsingham are real [visitors frequently observe that 'everything here is real!'].) And, yes, St Paul's Methodist (Schantz organ) is interesting as architecture. It is Houston's grandest, finest, Gothic pile and is quite a sight on its green acre across from the Museum.
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    I agree that St. Thomas architecture is not the highlite of the area. But the near-Catholic expression of worship is worth pointing out. For more than 2 generations conservative Catholic families have been sending children there as an option to the parochial RC system. Joshua's Pipe Band Director, Michael Cusack, is now the Headmaster, and is (unless recently lapsed) a convert. St. Paul's still has their original American cast bells up high in the tower. The peal bells went in around 2001. The much smaller peal (still 8 bells - all the Houston are 8) at Palmer went in about 3 years ago. The ringing room (where ringers pull the ropes) is approximately where the Wicks organ chamber was at the base of the tower.

I was there at OLW for so many years - all very blessed for me - I wish I could attend the conference. But there is really too much going on here right now. And I need to drive to Houston for Andrew's HS graduation at the end of May anyway.

Fr. Moore and Linda were here in Charleston before Palm Sunday. I had dinner with them and Wendy's in-laws one Saturday evening. And they all came up to see the bells at St. Michael's being rung on Sunday, and then attended the TLM at Stella Maris that evening.
  • ghmus7
    If you like organs, you can come and play our new one at St. Theresa, Aeolian-Skinner/Qumby, 53 rks.
    ghmus7@hotmail.com
  • Ah, yes! I knew that instrument in its original home!
  • CharlesW
    It sounds like Houston is a place I would enjoy visiting.
  • You have no doubt heard the saying 'Wagner has his moments, but OH! the spaces in between'. Well Houston is rather like that. It actually has a (somewhat deserved) reputation as being an ugly city what with rampant billboards, no zoning, etc. There is, though,very much of beauty here, and much to see and hear in the way of all the arts. In addition to the list above, there are some lovely parks, a fine zoo, the medical centre of world reknown, and the nearby Johnson Space Centre of NASA for those interested in such things... and interesting shopping spots such as the Galleria or the Rice Village near Rice Univ. And - M D Anderson Library at the Univ of Houston has a valuable collection of medieaval manuscripts.