Tech Help: Microsoft Publisher
  • Dear Music Friends:

I use Microsoft Publisher to make all of the order of worship booklets for various Masses and events throughout the year. In order to send to my print shop, it must be in PDF. I go to EXPORT > EXPORT AS PDF and then safe the file to the computer. This has always worked fine for the past five years.

All of a sudden, about two weeks ago, I went to export as PDF and got an error message "Publisher cannot save the file." I am curious if anyone else on here does this in the same way and has ever experienced this problem. I can no longer export as I could previously. By Exporting, I can select options for either high quality printing, or standard for a proof-copy to e-mail that is smaller in file-size. I can even set a password if need be. This process still works just fine if I'm using Microsoft Word.

To get around it, I am able to use the Print to PDF option through the printing options. However, that generates a larger file size for printing, and takes much more time, as I have to adjust all the settings differently.

Has anyone out there experienced the issue that I am describing, and have any idea on how to fix it? If there's an easy fix, I'd like to find out. If not, I'm going to have to find time to uninstall the software and re-install and hope for the best.

Thanks,
    ~Mark
  • Mark, I'm wondering... have you tried the File menu? There are a lot of differences depending on what version you are running, updates, etc., but my guess would be File --> Save As and change the file type to PDF. That often works for MS products in general.
  • Make sure an earlier version of the same PDF file is not open in another application.