Solemn Pontifical Mass, Aug 1, 2019, Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, Lake Charles, Louisiana
  • On Thursday, August 1st, 2019, Bishop Glen John Provost, Bishop of the Diocese of Lake Charles, celebrated a Solemn Pontifical Mass from the Throne at his cathedral, the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception. The Mass was a Votive Mass of Our Lord Jesus Christ, Supreme and Eternal Priest.

The Cathedral has been under massive restoration after much water damage and neglect over the years. During the construction, the pipe organ was severely damaged (on purpose?). A few days before the Mass, I had no idea if we had an organ to use or not, so I had to do last minute planning. Fortunately a temporary digital organ was acquired (Johannes), and a gracious traditionalist donated his amps and subwoofer to use until it could be fully repaired. The real organ is currently being repaired and hopefully will be fully playable soon.

I was the music director, and the organist, for this Mass, which can make things difficult sometimes. I know there were mistakes, mess ups, intonation problems, and other issues, but as a musician I try to forgive myself for these things. I know God has given me talents to use, and I should always strive for the best in all my efforts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYrbOjnLllY&;

Order of Music

Ecce Sacerdos Magnus - by Jerry Crews - this piece is based on the theme from Saint-Saens Organ Symphony. Recognize it? Mr. Crews wrote this in 1957, and is one of the choir's favorites. It calls for two trombones and two trumpets, organ, and choir. I only had two trumpeters however. I added an introduction based on the opening of the movement.

The Bishop doesn't like vesting in front of people, so he does it in the sacristy or parish hall. So in the meantime, we sang as an interlude "If Ye Love Me" by Thomas Tallis. I then played two fugues from the Well Tempered Clavier - c minor and C Major. Then I played around with Jesus My Lord, My God, My All - one of my favorite hymns while we waited.

The Processional after he vested was Pachelbel's Organ Toccata in C Major.

The Mass was Missa Secunda by Hans Leo Hassler.

Propers were fully chanted.

For the Offertory, the choir sang Tu Es Sacerdos, O Sacrum Convivium by Remondi, and Locus Iste by Bruckner.

For Communion - Ego Sum Pastor Bonus by Rombaut, Ecce Panis Angelorum hymn, Anima Christi by Frisina, and Tota Pulchra Es by Perosi. Interestingly, this cathedral before the restoration actually had sound panels installed on the walls (made from paper mache I think). These were installed after the loud, noisy air conditioning was installed sometime in the middle of the 20th century. The pastor at that time couldn't stand all the noise from them and was trying to quiet the structure. Of course, this hampered the sound of the music, but who needs sound panels in a cathedral!!???????!? Argh!! So fortunately they were removed for the restoration. When they were, the prayer Tota Pulchra Es was found stenciled in gold, much to everyone's surprise. So of course we had to sing that since the cathedral is dedicated to Our Lady under her title the Immaculate Conception.

Salve Regina (simple) was chanted for the Last Gospel.

For the Recessional I played Pachelbel's Toccata in c minor.