Instrumental music for a wedding
  • Does anyone know where to find arrangements for string quart, flute, and harp for purchase? An upcoming bride has requested this ensemble and I'm not sure where to find a 'ready-to-go' orchestration for the 'usual' wedding pieces. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Many thanks for any help,
    Donna
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Is she prepared to pay $1,000+ for that ensemble? If not, it's probably going to be a mess.
  • Get in touch with a violinist whom you think competent and experienced in such matters and tell him or her what your needs are, and let him or her do the arranging for musicians of a suitable calibre. You should get very helpful feedback about repertory from such a person after telling him of your bride's wishes. Is this music for the wedding, or for the reception? Too, it may not be necessary for all these instruments to be playing in ensemble all the time. Whichever, heed Irishtenor's warning of the cost involved!
  • I believe, in similar situations, our organist / violinists typically use IMSLP to find the scores and, as MJO mentions above, transcribe / arrange as needed for the given situation.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • That's one too many or 1 too few. You might get by with Saar's arrangement of Mendelssohn, only mentioned only on this cover.
  • francis
    What are the 'usual wedding' pieces... I arranged some of them for a string quartet and organ years ago. Can you put forward the titles?
  • canadashcanadash
    There's lots on freegigmusic.com.
    Seriously.

And Irish! My kids play for way less than that and they are decent! :)
    Thanked by 1Incardination
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I'm sure they are, canadash!

I just know 1) what my wife charges to play the harp, 2) what some friends of ours charge for their string quartet, 3) what a college friend charges to play the flute, 4) what it would cost to run a rehearsal with a group like that that doesn't play together often/at all, and 5) what it would cost to have someone make an arrangement for that motley assortment of instruments. That gets very pricey very fast if you're working with professionals!