A non-Catholic's impressions of sacred music in Italy
  • Becoming bored by the spectacle of people hoping to guarantee their eternal salvation at the expense of Hawking/Darwin/Copernicus, I've been spending my time catching up with Jonathan Dimmock's blog. While his Facebook snapshots of the organ loft view of Ruben's Deposition from the Cross make me insanely jealous, Jonathan has earned the undying gratitude of many San Francisco Bay Area residents he ministers to with yearly mid-December performances of La Nativité.

Among other worthwhile articles, a provocative, or rather provoked recent post is Music as Sacrament. Trigger warning for non-cafeteria Catholics, but the frustration will be familiar to any kind of church musician.
  • Oh that I could say that 'Music as a Sacrament' was revealing. It wasn't. Too many of us already know all too well such realities of the Church and clergy as described therein. Many thanks for posting this beautiful exposition not only of an often callous and ingrate Church, but of the power and sacramentality of the divine Gift of Music. Those of us who throughout our lives have thought more in music than in words know that it is, truly, a sacrament - in spite of the fact that it is shy of the Church's definition of 'sacrament'.

Here is this from my diary -
    A beautifully crafted Music is like unto an Holy Icon written in Sound:
    Of Realms Invisible it offers a Glimpse,
    Whilst Those Visible it casts in a Light more Profound.

- MJO

(I know that I have shared this before on the Forum, but thought it particularly relevant here as a response to Richard's posting, for which we are grateful.)
  • my husband as their choir director, and me as their organist

?????

And who organized his trip with singing in those diverse and prominent Italian churches? Maybe that organizer is guilty for lack of proper coordination and communication? I can well understand that the priest might be annoyed or at least perplexed when on short notice unknown musicians come to sing in "his" Mass. Each parish usually relies on their own resources for liturgical singing. Maybe they better should have performed in concerts instead?
    Thanked by 2Elmar toddevoss
  • Reminds me very much of Fr. Ruff. Knows all the right things, but comes to stunningly poor conclusions.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Reminds me very much of Fr. Ruff. Knows all the right things, but comes to stunningly poor conclusions.

YES.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • I, like him, find the ongoing mistrust of beauty and mystery utterly baffling. Unfortunately he bundles this modern attitude of distancing ourselves from Catholicism's artistic heritage with the rest of its heritage of teaching the truth, which to me is a non sequitur.

The work of the world’s great artists, from Fra Angelico to Palestrina to Michelangelo to Messiaen all came to fruition through the medium of Catholicism. Now they can be set free to continue their cosmic development of humanity, bringing us ever closer to direct communion with God

I'm sure that's precisely what Beato Angelico really wanted - to be set free from his faith! To cosmically develop us!

I am reminded, though, that I need to get a copy of David Jones' essay "Art and Sacrament", as well as his "The Anathemata".
  • My head hurts. Wow.

Sacrament, sacramental. Eh, the difference is only a couple of letters. /s/

• Sorry - music is not religion, and within the confines of the liturgy, it is strictly its servant. Thinking otherwise may be one of the roots of the "infamously fraught" relationship between clergy and musicians the author mentions.

• Beg pardon, but...
    That the wedding of music and sung liturgy IS normative in the Church's worship is made clear in the documents and teachings of Vatican II, and by numerous popes and clerics throughout history. The failure of far too many clerics, and lay, fully to appreciate this (and the failure [as in refusal] of seminaries to teach it and prepare for it) is really what is 'one of the roots of the "...fraught" relationship between clergy and musicians'. The preposterous callousness and arrogance on the part of priests such as those mentioned in 'Music as a Sacrament' is shamefully vile and grotesque. It is (putting it politely) utterly outside simple Christian goodwill and love, and exhibits an absolute ignorance of even an elementary understanding of what liturgy, as historically defined and practiced by the Church, is.
  • Elmar
    we had just stood in line for an hour to get into the building, in the hot sun, along with the tourists, only reaching our seats in the choir stalls less than five minutes before the start of the Mass [...]
    entitled priests, an approach to the liturgy as if it’s “business as usual,” a disdain for lay workers, [...] and profound arrogance
    I am afraid the arrogance is on the other side here. What kind of reaction would a "concert artist" expect if he showed up at, let's say, Carnegie Hall 65 min ahead of the start of the performance without even a timely phone call to his contact person?

Whatever the merits of his further arguments, this is setting a bad tone already and certainly not helpful in advancing good music in liturgy.
  • What kind of reaction would a "concert artist" expect if he showed up at, let's say, Carnegie Hall 65 min ahead of the start
    Very abject apologies that the stage door was locked, if not a head on a platter?
  • Is my memory failing me, or were some of the earliest comments removed from this thread?
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Is my memory failing me, or were some of the earliest comments removed from this thread?

All the ones that were here when I first read it are still here, for whatever that's worth.
  • Blaise
    Whoever organized the visiting choirs' participation in the Mass must have done a really shoddy job if the priest did not know that they were coming.

As for the author's comparison to the temple, in the Catholic Faith, music is always subservient to the liturgy, for it is precisely because of He who is offered at the altar that the music at liturgy is important. There is nothing clericalist about that. Finally, the author's take on divorce, etc. in the same paragraph. He needs to be reminded that he is a guest in our church. Sorry, I was going to sympathize with him on lack of practice facilities - until I read that.

Now, the rejoinder - the organizer should have made sure there was going to be access to the organ and practice rooms for the choir.

Thanked by 1Elmar
  • He needs to be reminded that he is a guest
    And an invited guest at that. We can't really know if the organizer exercised all possible diligence, but do know she was shouted at and cowed by the priest on that occasion. To turn the tables, is it very hard to imagine a guest priest in one of 'our' own churches not bothering to find out ahead of time what music is to be expected?
  • At first I thought this was a merely mistaken individual who graciously serves whichever Protestant Church with dignity and fervour, and has some minor friction with Catholic dogma. After perusing the site, however, I find much extolling his virtues as a performing artist and precious little involving any religious establishment or, indeed, religion at all..

I find this attitude all too often - secular artists that pay lip service to the idea of serving some sort of "transcendental, emotionally moving art form", while simultaneously ignoring (or disrespecting) the institution which is the literal source of all transcendence, and always forgetting their purpose of liturgical servant as an invited guest.

It is most often found in singers, who come to view the ecclesiastical establishment as a convenient and conveniently disposable source of income, perhaps even performance opportunities - while passively or actively dismissing any thoughts of understanding the Church's liturgical or communal patrimony on anything more than the most superficial level. Many of them would see fit to chatter or browse the Internet on their cell phones during the Canon, only pausing briefly to interject with the Sanctus. All religiosity is stripped from the profession to be replaced with a cool, inclusive, "modern" aesthetic that contributes more and more to the friction that occurs between clergy and music ministry, some of which we must admit comes from our side. Jonathan is the most flagrant example of this attitude of the organists I have encountered, though it undoubtedly exists elsewhere.

Can one imagine a manufacturer of rosaries and crucifixes by hand, who pays the utmost attention to each detail of wood- and metal-working, lovingly crafting each and every one of his or her creations - but who only does so for some sort of secular humanist "emotional experience" and openly deems the Church to be an obsolete, clericalist, discriminatory husk of an institution that has no place in the modern world? What hogwash it would be indeed! Such a person might be laughed out of the profession entirely. Yet these are the same people that continue to be employed, if not venerated, all too often in sacred music.

Let us contrast, for a moment, the case of Ralph Vaughan Williams - a man who was unable to bring himself to personal spirituality and communion with God, but who made himself subservient to the culture of the Church of England - its liturgy, its language, and of course its music - and created some of the finest and most liturgically appropriate works ever conceived, most of which are as at home in the Catholic sphere as the Anglican. By this reference I mean to imply that speculating as to individual convictions is not my goal, nor should it be any of ours.

Rather, we should instead require the creation of a culture which roots out any and all of this pathetic attitude that sacred musicians need not concern themselves with the environment in which they work. All created within the course of our employment should be governed and guided both by the liturgical environment in which we work and the overriding spiritual and cultural atmosphere - that, and a continuous drive for artistic excellence. To cultivate one and then to not only neglect the other, but insinuate that the other is wholly unnecessary - and then to complain in the same tired, dismissive, and arrogant way that the problem is not with the exact attitude that caused and often causes these issues but with the old, evil Church - is a disgrace of the highest level. Jonathan and all who think like him should be ashamed.
  • The writer of the article is, sadly, unfamiliar with the behavior of foreigners. They don't always welcome us (because they're foreigners) and don't always think our self-identified expectations are of paramount importance (again, because they're foreigners. If they were just like us, they would never make such egregious mistakes.)

My Baltimore Catechism defines a sacrament as "an outward sign, instituted by Christ to give grace. Perhaps the Italian foreigner didn't realize that Charles Ives' music, or whatever it was we planned to sing, was instituted by Christ? How thoughtless these Italians are.

On the other hand......
    Thanked by 1Schönbergian
  • francis
    I don't know, Richard Mix... I think the thread on astronomy is far better than that article...
  • Yeah... no.

Unfortunate that he didn't encounter the best representation of the Church... but his broad generalizations and skewed philosophy certainly don't warrant endorsement from Catholics. I imagine that all of us probably have moments where we have not exhibited the Faith in the best possible way (perhaps even on this forum...), moments where we wish we might have been better ambassadors for Christ.
    Thanked by 1Elmar
  • Can one imagine a manufacturer of rosaries and crucifixes
    Of course one can, and if they bit their tongues on their blog page, how exactly would one ever know what thought crimes they were up to? Jonathan makes no bones about his opinions, but having sung both High Holy Days and Lutheran services with him I'll vouch that his worship decorum is impeccable.
    Thanked by 1Elmar
  • francis
    ...Lutheran services with him I'll vouch that his worship decorum is impeccable.
    how do you define worship decorum?
  • Richard, in my experience these individuals certainly do not bite their tongues. The issue is not with personal convictions, it is with the ability to make oneself fully subservient to the prevailing liturgical culture. Jonathan has shown either an inability or an unwillingness to do so.

As an example, I work in a liberal Protestant church in addition to my Catholic duties. The choir is comprised of other traditional/RotR Catholics, professed opponents to opposed religion, staunch Anglicans, and (naturally) members of that community. Yet this matters not when it comes to participating in the liturgy and rendering our own identities subservient to the liturgy, however valid it may be, of that church. I would never dream of doing otherwise, as I am a guest in that church, however I may disagree with some of their views. In return, I would expect just as much from a guest in our Church.
  • Yet this matters not when it comes to participating in the liturgy and rendering our own identities subservient to the liturgy

That's very well put, yet I can't help but wonder at your generalizing about singers playing with cell phones (more likely among non-singers, in my experience) and your unwillingness to accept at face value
    I have worked as a musician within the Roman Catholic Church for 15 years.
    Thanked by 1JL
  • I can understand and sympathize with the frustration without agreeing with a number of his conclusions. Music is not a sacrament - but that was hardly necessary to make the point about the spiritual power of music that he was trying to make. Clericalism is a perennial issue but I reject his blaming all the ills of the Church on it - especially the sex abuse crisis. At this point, I'll stop because his rant at the end of his piece would tempt me to become uncharitable.