EF Office with Revised Chants
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    After failing to keep up with the OF office for a number of reasons, I'm considering switching to the EF office, but I can't stand the bastardized mode 3 antiphons. Has anyone ever begun to put together a resource for the EF office with the revised antiphons and chants of the modern liturgical books? Or even considered it? I'm probably the one insane person who's thought about undertaking such an endeavor, but curious if there's anything out there.
  • Richard R.
    If you want an EF Office that is closer melodically to the modern books, I would suggest using the Antiphonale Monasticum of 1934, rather than the Liber (if that is, in fact, what you are using).
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Vilyanor
  • madorganist
    Dr. Edward Schaefer is working on an Antiphonale Duplex for the traditional Benedictine office, which he says will be a full antiphoner for Lauds and Vespers. The books appears to be in the proofreading stage and he has posted a sample from the feast of the Ascension here:
    https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/affa41_7583bcf3556e4cec91cc4de749dfe3eb.pdf?fbclid=IwAR3DxmzLhXm4L4vJyJy-tiXuIfOyGdH7QEGe84PK6c5ZhkhyjqI1BXYJZVw
    If you're not canonically bound to recite the secular office, it might be a good option for you. If you are obligated to recite the breviary, perhaps you could become an oblate and get permission to pray the monastic office.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Vilyanor
  • If you couldn’t keep up with the LOTH, how are you going to keep up with the 1963 Divine Office? It takes approximately 2.5 hours each day for a priest proficient in reciting it to simply labiate it quickly? When my spiritual director was teaching me how to recite it he specifically said only work at it gradually and not to recite it all at once (Lauds and Vespers to start, Matins last). He warned that ambitious seminarians try to do it all at once (merely reciting it) and end up burning out.
    Thanked by 1Incardination
  • Vilyanor,

What, precisely, was hard to keep up with in the Liturgy of the Hours? Eons ago, I think I bought (or was given) a book of the hours... but I found it impossible to understand or use effectively (that's two different complaints). In my case, the sheer banality of the language was an impediment (independent of the melodies, which were, frequently, their own impediment when I was able to find them at all).
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • tomjaw
    @SponsaChristi
    1963 Divine Office?
    Well I have a day hours book, Latin / English from 1934, So no Matins, but it does fit in my pocket 2"x3"x5", and has all the English Proper Offices. I can't think how a new Rite book for the whole cycle could be a pocket sized book.
  • The 1963 edition of the Divine Office is edition approved by Summorum Pontificum. It’s the one the FSSP and other orders who use the 1962 Roman Missal and Roman Ritual exclusively.
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    While I take issue with the petitions that are added to every office and which I dislike for many reasons, the biggest thing that has discouraged me from chanting the OF office is that it's too variable. The fact that the psalms are spread across 4 weeks makes it impossible to really keep up with the sequence if you pray the office sporadically, or a ferial office is replaced by a feast. With the EF office things are consistent and lends itself better to memorization than the OF, and it's easier to get back into the swing of things because it doesn't take a month to get back to the same office.
  • Richard R.
    Can you give us an example of these "bastardized mode 3 antiphons"?