Gloria Requirement at U.S. Weddings
  • afries52afries52
    Hello everyone,

I hope this isn't too dumb of a question. Of course I know that the Gloria is required for English weddings since 2016. Does this apply to a nuptial mass celebrated in any language in the U.S.? I'm specifically asking about Polish & Spanish, but my question is general for any language. Thanks in advance!
  • dad29
    NO DUMB QUESTION!!!

The Gloria is required in the Ordinary form, no matter the language. It is NOT to be used in the Extraordinary Form, no matter the feelings of the father of the bride.
  • I believe you are mistaken on the EF. The nuptial Mass is a 2nd class votive, and is said with Gloria (Rubricae Generales 1962) 342 and 343.

When the OF changed to add the Gloria in 2016, that was in keeping with EF practice already in use.
    Thanked by 3chonak CHGiffen BruceL
  • dad29
    You're right. I had them reversed--and the '16 change was not pertinent to my assignment at that time.
  • tomjaw
    So the NO catches up to the EF, the EF gained a Gloria in the 1950's when the Mass was changed to IInd class from IVth class.
  • afries52afries52
    Thank you all. So to make it clear, the Gloria is required at all nuptial masses (regardless of language) in the U.S. Worldwide too?
  • Correct: worldwide.