Recommendations in Dallas
  • matildacmatildac
    I'll be in Dallas for a weekend in September, for a wedding. Any recommendations on where to go for Mass, plus churches to pop into and see?

If anything choir/organ-related is going on, I'd be glad to hear it too! A bonus would be if there's anyone who would be happy to let me pop up to the loft for five minutes, or sit in on a choir rehearsal. Because I am a nerd. :)

I won't be driving (hopefully this is not too much of an impediment...) and will be staying not too far from the Orthodox cathedral. Thanks in advance!
  • There is Holy Trinity Seminary, where Forum member Gregory Hamilton is the musical director. It is located in the nearby suburb of Irving.

Also, we (the Ordinariate) have a parish in nearby Fort Worth.
    It is St Timothy's, located at 800 W. Loop 820 S.
    Sunday mass is at 10.30am.
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    Mater Dei in Irving off Irving Blvd. High Mass at 9.
  • bangerman
    St. Rita and St. Thomas Aquinas are nice OF options in Dallas. Good choirs and rep at the St. Rita 10:45 and Aquinas 11:00. The Aquinas Saturday vigil also has a pro quartet that mainly sings unaccompanied, chant and polyphony. Here's a recent video on their Schudi.

Holy Trinity Church in Dallas (not the seminary in Irving) is having a Dan Garland organ installed this summer, but I don't know the timeframe on completion.

I think the seminary only offers public masses on select Sundays, so you may want to check their website for the schedule. Hopefully Dr. Hamilton can chime in with more.
  • ghmus7
    You MUST go to the 11:00 Mass at Christ the King with a 30 voice professional choir and a 65 rank French tracker organ. The music leadership there is awesome. As MJO says, you can also attend Holy Trinity Seminary - mass is at 9:15. Check our website to make sure we have a public Mass that Sunday. Actually these two sacred places are a 15 min drive way so you could do both if you really want to be holy.
    Of course, I do not want to in any way take anything away from my excellent colleagues at St.Thomas Aquinas, Mater Dei, (Really the best Latin Rite) St. Rita, St. Monica. Dallas remains a tremendous city for sacred music making.
    Feel free to call me 8325450900 Gregory.