“Do the red, SING the black”?
  • It occurred to me .. would it be useful for this familiar mantra to be “sing” rather than “say”?

If one advocates for a sung liturgy, that is.
  • Felipe,

The rubrics often say "he says", but, since the Church has set as the norm the Solemn Pontifical Mass, clearly "dixit" is and should be interpreted to mean "sung", except in specific cases.
  • For the OF, too, GIRM states that “say”/“read”/etc. are to be understood as interchangeable with “sing”.
  • Felipe,

I don't mean to be disrespectful of you or anyone, but if the GIRM says something, it frequently says "or other similar words", and this mostly destroys the value of an instructive rubric. There's a Catholic heart's approach to the OF, but the rubrics allow a much greater "freedom" for "personal restoration" than rubrics properly should allow.
  • a_f_hawkins
    CGZ - many (most? all?) of the instances of 'these or similar words' concern those elements of explanation to the congregation which were never (in my experience) supplied by the celebrant or somebody else designated by him, but which were called for by Trent.
    the holy synod charges pastors, and all those who have the cure of souls, that they frequently, during the celebration of mass, expound, either by themselves or others, some portion of those things which are read at the mass, and that, amongst the rest, they explain some mystery of this most holy sacrifice
  • CGZ: I very much agree but don’t see the relevance. If the OF explicitly provides music for a given text to be sung, it’s pretty much by definition not a transgression against the rubrics to use that music.
  • Felipe,

I'm being obtuse, apparently.

One of the great tragedies of the Pauline Missal is that the context invites creativity. If it says "He turns toward the people, saying, Orate fratres..." but the priest is already facing the people, the rubric is correct but not do-able. So, people come up with other things to do, such as inviting the laity to gather round the altar -- that way, Father can turn to them, too, and say "Pray, my sisters and brothers".

Is it possible to violate a rubric which doesn't bind in the first place?
  • CatherineS
    On a joyful and slightly tangential note, the visiting priest tonight sang many of his parts in the Mass. Last year he came over with a fellow seminarian for a few basic lessons with me - trying to develop some confidence in chanting the priest's parts (OF). Neither of the fellows had much of an ear, and even less courage.

And tonight I was at the local parish and to my surprise one of the young men - now a priest in his first year - was there to visit, and he celebrated the Mass. And he sang quite a few prayers, and did a great job! I was grinning to myself. He told me afterwards he's still so embarrassed to sing, but he just goes for it and hopes it turns out okay.

I am quite convinced that many people who 'can't sing' mostly just don't know how their own body works. Some really have no ear, but many just have no idea what to do, and the more they aren't very apt, the more they have no opportunities (at the seminary only seminarians with aptitude get to be in the schola; the rest never get trained to sing... crazy, right?)
  • BrophyBoy
    At Notre Dame Seminary in New Orleans all Seminarians are invited, encouraged, and welcome to join the Schola Cantorum. Select members may then be invited to join the Schola Polyphony which is a more advanced group that rehearses even more than the Schola Cantorum, and which performs more complex music. In addition, ALL seminarians are taught to sing the presidential chants and orations.
  • fcbfcb
    I went to the main Mass at the cathedral in Aberdeen, Scotland last Sunday and the bishop chanted the opening prayer, the preface and per ipsum, the intro to the Our Father and the exchange at the sign of peace. Was he the best singer I've ever heard? No. But he was on pitch and more or less followed the music as printed. And in the dialogues the sung response of the congregation was much more robust than the typical spoken response, which is almost universally my experience.
  • CharlesW
    Many who say they can't sing are probably correct. However, they can chant which is not the same as belting out a selection from Wagner . Most folks can chant.

Our new pastor arrived Sunday, chanted all the parts he is supposed to chant, and is liturgically solid as a rock. He couldn't sing operatic arias if he had to, but he chants well enough. We have lucked out again.
    Thanked by 2Carol CHGiffen
  • CGZ: Which rubric do you have in mind specifically? Are you lamenting that GIRM does not necessitate singing?
  • Felipe,

I'm not lamenting that GIRM doesn't necessitate singing. Rather, I'm lamenting the fact that (as someone has worked out) there are literally thousands of ways legitimately, following the rubrics to say the OF.
  • francis
    Many who say they can't sing are probably correct. However, they can chant which is not the same as belting out a selection from Wagner . Most folks can chant.
    This is entirely true and quite misunderstood. ALMOST NO ONE IS TONE DEAF... if you work at it long enough, week after week, making them sensitive to pitch matching, basic intervals and you do it by singing right next to their ear, it almost always works to get someone singing (or at least chanting)

If one expects a person to match pitch the first day, or even the first week, that can be unrealistic... the effort must continue until there is progress, even the smallest amount.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CatherineS
  • Carol
    Francis, you reminded me of a time I sang Edelweiss into the ear of an 8th grade boy every day, trying to make him able to sing at least a chorus of it passably for a production of The Sound of Music. There were very few boys with the look to be captain and he was the best we had for speaking. He got barely good enough by show time and as soon as others joined in, we turned his body mike WAY down. Our Maria was glorious, however!
  • mmeladirectress
    fcb -
    about the Cathedral of Aberdeen, Scotland
    could you say a little (maybe on a separate thread) about how the "Six O'Clock Music Group" fits into the Cathedral's ongoing need for musicians. It sounds interesting; would love to hear about it. thanks!
  • Charles W, tell Fr. Bill I said hello.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • toddevoss
    Regarding the couple commentators many people who 'can't sing' actually could sing at least in terms of chant. I was one of those people. I literally thought I couldn't sing until I (in my former life) volunteered to assist at the Liturgy (I thought I was just going to be a "lector"). Nope - Pastor told me I would be chanting the Kyrie (from one of the options in the 1978 Green Hymnal). These Kyrie's are longer than the Catholic Kyrie (Green Hynmal Kyries mainly taken from Eastern traditions). So you are chanting longer sentences. The music director literally got in my face/ear in a very helpful way. And I was able to do it. That led to the ability to actually sing fairly decently.
  • francis
    Music is part of human nature... ALL of them humans!
  • fcbfcb
    could you say a little (maybe on a separate thread) about how the "Six O'Clock Music Group" fits into the Cathedral's ongoing need for musicians

I'm afraid I can't since I'm only in town for a few weeks and probably won't get to that Mass. But it seems to be a lively place--a very diverse congregation and even a community of consecrated virgins (most younger women) who are part of the parish.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • ViolaViola
    Time to blow my cover. I am the director of music at St Mary's cathedral, Aberdeen, and I thank fcb for the kind comments. I will pass them on. SInce the start of this year we have been working hard on congregational participation, so, thank God, it seems to be paying off.
    The cathedral choir is currently on holiday, and I was playing the organ at another parish last Sunday so wasn't at that Mass, but we had arranged for the ICEL chant Mass to be used over the summer and the bishop always sings. Normally we would have had the introit and Communion antiphons also, and I hope they sang the Salve Regina.
    The 6 o clock Mass group is the contemporary music group.
    There is also a Gospel choir that sings at the Saturday vigil Mass once a month, and the Aberdeen African Catholic choir sings at the 11 15 Mass once every other month. There is a large Polish community that has its own Mass and also a Spanish Mass once a month. It really is a diverse community (my husband and I are English!).
    We do need more choir members though; Aberdeen is a rather transient community. If anyone is in the area, do join us.
  • Viola -

This really is not an anti-Spanish grumble - (it may sound like one but it really isn't) - but -
    It is astonishing that you need Spanish masses even in Scotland!
    I had thought that Texas and the American Southwest were the only places in which Spanish (or, rather, 'Tex-Mex') masses were needful. Do you have 'Scot-Mex' (or 'Scot-Span') over there?
    You would think that for all their mostly justified cultural pride they would be singing Victoria, Guerrero, et al. Not at all - it's all plunky-plunky, toodle, thump, and croon mariachi music. The mariachi band is actually Napoleon III's and Maximillian's last laugh because the mariachi band is the Mexican take-off of the French military bands that played for the occupying French military wedding festivities - hence 'mariachi', from marriage. Do they have mariachi bands in Scotland? One might suggest that the Mexican mariachi music for church is the Hispanic version of Caucasian-American sacro-pop.

On the other hand, your Spanish population must be actual Spaniards who would differ culturally from the Mexican-American phenomenon? What are they like? Do they, unlike American Hispanics, speak Castilian? What is their music and liturgy like? It must be better over on your side of the pond.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW Carol
  • Jackson,

Thank you for your derivation of the word mariachi.

I'll let Viola speak for herself, but I came across a Scotish-Mexican connection in a piece of American literature recently, and I'm wondering if there may, in fact, be a transit between the two which goes back more years than I had imagined.

[I have an aunt in Edinburgh and an uncle who campaigned to have more Gaelic on television.]
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • ViolaViola
    Spanish Masses: well...
    The Spanish speakers we have here are a mixture of Spaniards and South Americans. Many of the Spaniards are connected with the university, the South Americans tend to be connected with the oil industry.
    I have never heard mariachi music live and it would not be tolerated in the cathedral, but alas, the Spanish Mass music is not Victoria, Morales etc it is guitar-based modern stuff, not particularly Spanish as far as I can see. The Poles, for instance, use similar material, though they also have a more serious choir, Musica Caeli, that sings polyphony.
    In the main cathedral choir we have a Spanish couple from Seville, she is a professional cellist and sometimes plays solo pieces during the Offertory for us. Most of the Spaniards are Castilian speakers, though we have at least one whose native language is Catalan.
    We have a tenor in the cathedral choir from Venezuela who was educated to a very high standard in music, possibly at a seminary; he is a chant enthusiast and also keen on polyphony. Unfortunately he has been working off shore, but when I see him again I want to ask about South American polyphony. I did enquire about it on this forum and we have so far tried out one piece. We also have a soprano from Columbia, married to a Scot.
    During the penal times Scottish priests had to be trained abroad, many at the Royal Scots College in Valladolid, Spain, which in the 18th century was the only foreign college to offer students instruction in church music. Several priests brought back Masses and other church music from Spain after their ordination. I've done research into this, as part of a PhD I did after we moved up to Scotland. There was one particular Mass, written in 1736 by Jose Myr y Lusa, called Misa de Trombas, which was hugely popular in 19th century Scotland, and I also learned (from an American researcher) that it exists in the Philippines, so Spanish musical culture is very widespread. I'm not aware of a Scots/South American link, except for a Aberdonian doctor/composer called James Reid who emigrated to Chile in the 1830s by way of Australia, and composed operas there.
    Finally (sorry, this has been a long post) Gaelic. The north east of Scotland has never been a Gaelic speaking area, people here spoke Doric, and the attempts of the Scottish government to promote Gaelic don't really find favour in these parts. Nor does the SNP which has more appeal in the Central Belt.
  • Viola -
    ...been a long post)
    It's fascinating, and not at all too long.
    Your Aberdeen sounds like quite the international city!
  • CharlesW
    I will tell you, that a lady from Columbia has said she can not take the awful mariachi music the Guatemalans and Hondurans do at their mass. She's Hispanic and is a native speaker of the language. Not all Hispanics go for mariachi masses.
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Not all Hispanics go for mariachi masses.

I remember attending the predominant Hispanic in my geographic parish on the Feast of the Circumcision Mary, Mother of God (whatever). The processional hymn was a setting of a Spanish text to "Jingle Bells" played by two guitars and a casio. Yes, Christmas Kitsch prevails over all cultural barriers in the octave.

There seems to be a large proportion of Argentinians and Venezuelans at our local Latin masses. They're a fun bunch. We've nicknamed one of the basses in our choir "Sandanista". He's an Acton Institute fellow, so he takes it in good humor.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW tomjaw
  • ViolaViola
    Aberdeen is certainly cosmopolitan, though less so than it was when the oil boom was at its height. But I find that most large cities have an interesting mix of nationalities these days, all with something to offer. There are a lot of Nigerians here including several seminarians who intend to serve in this area after ordination. Those who are members of our choir certainly liven things up. And they have a good grounding in plainchant.
    (Actually with a population of just over 207,000 Aberdeen might not qualify as a large city by the stadards of some forumites. Things tend to be on a smaller scale here.(
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • fcbfcb
    I just spent a few days at Pluscarden Abbey and discovered that the bishop of Aberdeen is their former abbot. I thought, "Ah, that explains the music and the Birkenstocks."

I should add that the liturgy at Pluscarden is sublime. Almost every (except the Orate fratres and Ecce Agnus Dei) sung, including the entire Eucharistic Prayer.
    Thanked by 1Viola
  • Liam
    A nice panoramic 360 orb shot by drone over the abbey grounds on a sunny July day 2 years ago:

https://tinyurl.com/y32j5y4n
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • ViolaViola
    fcb
    I'm glad you got to Pluscarden. I would urge anyone else visiting Scotland to do the same. My husband and I were there at 10am Mass this morning, as the cathedral choir is taking a break. As well as the sublime chanting the Mass is totally unhurried and deeply reverent. The Ordinary (today it was Orbis Factor) is accompanied on the organ by one of the community in a particularly sensitive way.
    And I recommend the Gordon Arms in nearby Fochabers for lunch afterwards; they have a very good carvery.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • dad29
    making them sensitive to pitch matching

A trick I learned from the Symphony Chorus' maestra: have the singer close one ear with a finger. They will then hear what they are singing MUCH better, and usually can more easily match pitch.
    Thanked by 2Carol StimsonInRehab