Organ shoes on Wish.com a review
  • JesJes
    Okay, so about a month ago I invested in my first ever pair of "jazz shoes" for purposes of playing organ.

I bought them off wish.com for a wee sum of $20AUD.
    And well... they arrived last week.
    I must admit. I'm actually reasonably impressed.
    They are well made, the stitching is flawless.
    They are flexible in the middle, the sole is soft and delicately thin, the fit is tight and perfect.
    The heel is sturdy for a soft sole shoe and is much easier to isolate than what my explorer socks could do.
    Though, it's going to take a few exercises to become fully accustomed and the shoes can slip off if knocked easily.
    They are definitely NOT good for walking but I'm using them to play organ not walk so that's fine.
    There is just one thing...
    They look ghastly!
    Giant lipstick prints all over them.

So... What does my priest think of them?
    He loves them! He thinks they are hilarious.

In short, shoes from wish...
    I give: ☆☆☆☆
    4 out of 5 stars.

Yes, I'd recommend searching wish for cheap organ shoes.imageimage
    4032 x 1960 - 2M
    4032 x 1960 - 3M
    Thanked by 2cesarfranck CHGiffen
  • canadashcanadash
    Well, as a female organist, I would wear these one time, because it would be funny, but after that I would find a way to dye them. But that's just me.
    Thanked by 2Jes CHGiffen
  • JesJes
    For an organist on a budget this will have to do me I'm afraid.
    Pp thinks they are hilarious and thankfully nobody can see my feet so I'm all good.
    Thanked by 2cesarfranck CHGiffen
  • As a male organist, I'm reminded of the observation, "no one will be looking at your shoes"... from Ever After -- although in this case, the page turner should be watching the score, and most other people are mesmerized by the hands, no doubt.
  • JesJes
    Oohlala! You have a page turner?
    And Ever After I loved that film!
    More people were shocked by my explorer socks than they are over these shoes. That is something to probably note.
  • (Comment deleted.)
  • Jackson,

You wouldn't wear them, and no doubt if you slipped a mental disk and wore them, the would look hideous and shamelessly tasteless on you, but is it just possible that Jes finds them less offensive on women's feet than you would (rightly) on men's feet?
  • CharlesW
    Don't let Diane Bish or Cameron Carpenter see them. Hair will be pulled, garments ripped, and brooches snatched in the fight to see who gets those shoes.
    Thanked by 2ServiamScores Carol
  • ViolaViola
    I bought a pair of similar design for a mere £20, so-called dance shoes or character shoes, though without the lipstick prints (they weren't available!) but I have found them difficult because the heel tapers so my foot skids off the pedals when trying to play with heels. This seems to be the same design as the lipsticky ones Jes has. I want some with a wider block heel. Maybe this means shelling out for a pair of Organmaster shoes, but if anyone can recommend a cheaper alternative, with or without tasteful prints, I'd be grateful.
  • CharlesW
    If Tic Tac Toes are still available, I would think they might be better made than Organmasters. Organmasters are not made in the U.S. any more and it seems the quality has declined a bit. I have a friend with Tic Tac Toes and they are U.S. made and possibly of better quality. Next time I think I will get those.

https://www.tictactoes.com/dance/organist_choose.htm

But no lipstick prints. LOL.
    Thanked by 1Viola
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    How exotic.
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • francis
    Please post a video of you playing pedals in these... this is truly exotic... Although my first pair of playing shoes were Capezio’s, and they were shiny patent leather. I guess I belong to the same club.
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • JesJes
    @M. Jackson Osborne I agree, tasteless.
    But... functional!

@Chris Garton-Zavesky indeed they are more hideous on men's feet and they are hideous enough on mine haha.

@CharlesW hahaha indeed

@Viola we no longer have dance stores so it's been incredibly hard to find anything. I can get shoes made in Brisbane and they are very good quality so I will be saving. This was to see what the hype around organ shoes is about. Now I know, never going back to explorer socks!

@StimsonInRehab oh ORSTRAYLEON! Exhortic indeed! I came up with a new character! She's an Ex-Sister who's decided to take her power trip to President of the Parish Council. Also, "who you are, what you do, what you think about your being an organist?"

@francis maybe around Christmas. I gotta practice.
    Thanked by 2cesarfranck francis
  • Jackson,

I withdraw my previous comment. I didn't make any sense of the "lipstick" print, because my picture wasn't very clear. Hideous would just about do the job. I still think they would be more hideous on men's feet, but I no longer think they have redeeming value.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • ...no longer think...
    They are beyond hideous - beyond tasteless. I cannot fathom how any self-respecting person would wear them. As for them being worse on men's feet - several adjectives come to mind that are better left unsaid. Send them back.
  • JesJes
    Haha I'm not self respecting... clearly. :-( You know how to hurt a woman. Haha. I have a remedy in mind...

I did say in the review the print is ghastly! When I ordered them I ordered plain black so imagine the shock I got when they were smeared with kisses. I did run them by the parish priest and he laughed and responded with "this is so unlike you it's hilarious!"

I have got an idea to glue gun or use t-shirt paint to put some spots on the shoes instead of lip marks. But for now I am just going to try them out and see if they are worth it. I'm thus far deeming them useful as now my heels reach the pedals without having to adjust the bench to a bad position for me so I will be shelling out the funds for some real black ones made in Brisbane. (Though shiny gold are an option too ew!)

I also thought that sanding them could be an option as it's that puff t-shirt style print.

@canadash dye won't work but I agree something can be done to make them more tasteful.

@CharlesW I'll look into the shoes link. Thanks.
    Thanked by 2Carol CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    While I wouldn't order shoes like that - and, clearly you didn't - I wouldn't worry too much about them. They are funny. I doubt that many pay much attention to organist shoes to begin with. That is, if they are even close enough to see them. I'm a fan of crazy socks and several of us in the loft wear the wildest ones we can find. No one else sees them and it amuses us during boring sermons.

We have a very beautiful 4-year-old girl who comes with her parents. She always wants to see our socks and shows us her dress and shoes. Quite a fashionista at the age of four.
  • They are beyond hideous - beyond tasteless. I cannot fathom how any self-respecting person would wear them.

Thankfully, Jes has a sense of humor regarding the situation. In the real world, sometimes we have to make the best of a bad circumstance... like wearing shoes we might not have purchased had we a clear picture of them in advance... or even - gasp - playing a simulacrum because that's all that is available.

Let's not be too serious about ourselves - and perhaps a bit more courteous in our posts.
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    They are beyond hideous - beyond tasteless. I cannot fathom how any self-respecting person would wear them.

We can't all be Anglican.
  • mmeladirectress
    Look at it this way, Jes - no one will ever steal them. ;-) AND you will never run the risk of getting dressed up and inadvertently putting them on. See? Silver linings all over the place.

you can always hand them off to your Mom (for example) and say, give me those back. Then if someone should say something snarky about them, you can put on your pious face and say, my Mom gave them to me.
    my $0.02, If they fit, and work well, that's that.

My organist slips out of her organ shoes and back into street shoes when she leaves the loft to receive Communion. Not sure whether that's to prolong the life of the organ shoes or what (would they be slippery on wooden stairs?). Hey maybe hers have lip prints too... never looked, but I will.
  • TCJ
    If they were sent by mistake, just return them for the pair you ordered.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Carol
    I was just thinking about those organ concerts with closed circuit TV so that the concert goers can see the pedal work. Jes would cause quite a stir with lipstick printing on her shoes!
  • Jes,

TCJ has the right idea. If you're happy with them, don't let us dissuade you from using them. If they're not what you ordered, and you wouldn't have ordered them if you had known what was being sent, I think you should send them back and have the company send you what you actually ordered.
  • JesJes
    @TCJ fantastic idea, unfortunately I was away when the shoes arrived so the 30 day trial is expired according to the sites policy.

@mmeladirectress yes very slippery and to preserve them it's best not to walk in them for one little stone could then later on scratch the varnish off a pedal.

Anyway, best foot forward now. Gotta make the most of it.
  • francis
    I would love to see a video of you playing the jig fugue in these. It would go viral.
  • CharlesW
    To paraphrase an old pop song to apply to organ shoes, 'these shoes are not made for walking.' I find them difficult to walk in and even hazardous. Those soft soles are easily destroyed and are only good for playing the organ.