Two People Were Talking...
  • NihilNominisNihilNominis
    ...one of them said, "I'm so mad at what they did to the Mass. They changed everything. I liked it the old way that I grew up with."

The other one agreed wholeheartedly. The two found real common cause and became fast friends.

From the outside, it was painfully obvious that one had in mind the Missal of 1962, while the other had in mind the 1973 ICEL translation of the 1970 Missal. They were oblivious. Completely.

There's got to be a lesson here, but I'm no Aesop. Anyone care to craft a good "moral"?
    Thanked by 2tomjaw CatherineS
  • mmeladirectress
    um... Lex orandi, lex credendi?

when it comes to the changes, plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

• Except, Mme., that la change de 1973 was a far cry from la meme chose!

As for the lesson which NihilNominus seeks, it is that each generation basically believes that the way things are/were in its youth is the way they have always been and should remain - forever. Few escape such a mind set.

When I was in youth, I, like many today, tried to wean my elders from the mawkish gospel songs to which they were congenitally attached. They cried out that they wanted the 'old songs' and few were converted to the truly 'old' songs which I was trying to introduce to them. Most learned my music. Some grew to really like it. But their love of their 'old songs' was not (much to my dismay) erased.

I think that most of us here (I've witnessed sad evidence of it) would be surprised, even shocked, at the day in and day out listening habits of our choristers, priests, and others whom we think that we are evangelising. They will, in varying numbers and degrees, grow to like 'our stuff', but relatively few will grow to see the cheap badness of 'popular' musical genres.
  • Two men, one from Atlanta and one from Cincinnati, met for barbeque in Boston. Both men were surprised at what they were served.

Barbeque doesn't mean the same thing in all places!

Nihil,

You want a moral like the City Mouse and the Country Mouse, I guess.

Jackson,

I completely agree that those habits cling to people, but this is precisely why we need to make sure we introduce them to good stuff at an early age. You've read often enough from me my comment that we should plan our music introduction as if any step could be our last. .... your anecdote is proof positive that it must be done!
  • Few, all too few, are they who 'see the light' in the way in which one gentleman in my experience did. I shall always remember (and savour) the time (sometime in the eighties) when we were seated around my dining room table singing chant, motets, and such. As we were singing a certain Tallis (I think it was) motet, this gentleman, new to our group, suddenly sat up stiff as a board, stopped singing (as did everyone else), got an astonished gleam in his eyes, and exclaimed, 'why that stuff we've been singing is junk'. You see, this man had previously been in an Episcopal church in which they sang faux folk music and sacro-pop. The beauty of it was that he saw the light all by himself. I nor anyone else had said not a word. That man became a good friend and is now a beloved deacon at Walsingham. I spoke with him just this Trinity Sunday morning.