Seeking help from people who been in pontifical institute of scared music Vatican
  • Neil
    Hello all I'm Neil here I would be greatful if anyone could guide me how to enroll in the pontifical institute of sacred music Vatican .It would be great if anyone could share there experience being educated/visited there. I'm looking out for a course with sacred music along with piano any other suggestions better than this is most welcome. I'm egarly waiting for reply.
    Thank you
  • Neil,

Welcome to the Forum.

Can you explain what you mean "a course with sacred music along with piano"....

Is that two courses or one you want?
  • Neil
    It's one piano as a major and scared music as a part of the course
  • chonakchonak
    Hi, Neil!

I saw another posting with the same question, and removed it so that all the discussion about your question can be here on this one thread.

The Pontifical Institute for Sacred Music has a web site (all in Italian, apparently) with information about its programs at
    http://www.musicasacra.va/content/musicasacra/it/didattica/ammissione.html

They offer bachelor's degree programs and post-graduate programs. For the degree programs, they expect students from outside Italy to pass a language proficiency test and some tests of musical skills and knowledge: sight-singing, transcription of a melody, and a music-theory test that roughly corresponds to what college music majors learn in first-year theory. Details on the exams for piano program applicants are here:
    http://www.musicasacra.va/content/musicasacra/it/didattica/corsi-principali/pianoforte.html

So I get the impression that a student from this country would need to start a music major at a college here for at least a year before applying to PIMS. If that's your situation, look for a conservatory program or a B.Mus. degree program here.

Non-degree students do not have the same entrance requirements, and would meet with the school's director to determine which courses are appropriate.

I hope this helps!
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Well with all the shenanigans that go on in Vatican City these days, I'd probably be as scared as the scared music program you're so eager to enter!
    Thanked by 1madorganist
  • Neil
    @andrew sorry for mistake it's *sacred music
  • Neil
    Thanks for information @ chonak
  • BruceL
    @Neil, the best person to inquire about this would probably be Nicholas Will, the current director of music at the North American College. He's in a program (I believe) at PIMS now, so he would be qualified to tell you. I think you do need Italian proficiency for that school. I believe Nick may have a profile on this forum, too, but you could definitely reach him at his PNAC email.

As an aside, it would behoove you to consider an organ major: it is much more versatile on the job market.
  • chonakchonak
    Nicholas' e-mail address is on the College's web site:
    https://www.pnac.org/about-us/faculty/
  • Neil
    Thank you so much for your valuable information
  • Mora
    Hello Neil!

I currently study Gregorian chant at PIMS and can give you a bit of insight. I would agree with @BruceL, that if you're going to come over here, consider the organ major over the piano major; the organists are fabulous. I didn't have to take an Italian proficiency exam before I entered (that point is a bit confusing) and I came over knowing no Italian (stupid, yes). You do not necessarily need to have a musical university degree form the States to enroll, as long as you can pass the entrance exams. All of the instruction is in Italian. Its strongest points do lie in Gregorian semiology and organ. I don't know exactly what you are looking for in a program, but if you are looking for one in which you could have extensive practice time, I would suggest looking into other programs in the States. The practice rooms are also the classrooms, and subsequently, one can practice for up to two hours every day, either organ or piano. There would be opportunities in the States to get a BM in piano performance while informally studying sacred music at a Newman center and other choral societies (such as my alma mater, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign). I hope this helps!

Mora
  • My own experience with PIMS is very similar to Mora's. The level of playing among the organ majors is impressive, and the chant program is very strong. I, too, escaped having to take an Italian proficiency exam, but proficiency is necessary for study there. All of my lessons are conducted in Italian. The admission process, at least for the post-gradum program in organ improvisation, was surprisingly casual and easy. I didn't need to take any entrance exams, but an advanced music degree is pre-requisite for the post-gradum programs.

I'll also add that tuition for PIMS is shockingly cheap, at least compared to American institutions.

Attending PIMS worked out well for me because I was already living in Rome and had my immigration paperwork in order. It would be more difficult to navigate without those things already in place, but plenty of people do it. The organ studios alone have students from Mexico, Ecuador, Russia, South Korea, and the USA, among other countries. It's a truly global institution.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you!
  • Neil
    Thank you@mora and @nicholas for sharing your experiences at PIMS.
  • Neil
    I have completed my grade 8 piano TCL and preparing for my Atcl that's the reason I opted to take piano as a major.what is the basic criteria to take up organ major? Is it possible for me to continue my Mmus there with a different or same major does the college supports anyways? Thank you in advance.