Magnificat Needed - SSA
  • mjballoumjballou
    I'm looking for a new Magnificat for my women's schola. We've done the Grassi and I have the Ravanello. All suggestions are welcome. It needs to be a cappella and useable in the course of Vespers/Evening Prayer (i.e., not a concert work).
  • WJA
    Please see this thread. It contains a beautiful setting by one R. Rice.

WJA
  • MaryJane, I've always LOVED the version in the St. Gregory. I think that's the Ravenello, yes?
  • mjballoumjballou
    I think that's the Grassi faux bourdon. BTW, it can be done with just the two lower parts, the first soprano line is frosting on the cake (useful information if your two sopranos with reliable high notes decamp or fall ill).
  • Richard R.
    Here's a setting for SSA a cappella in Latin in Renaissance style, alternating chant and polyphony, which is hopefully not too concert-work to be useful.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • mjballoumjballou
    It's charming - and quite thrilling to have such a delightful piece in hand. I promise that the schola will learn this forthwith. The Grassi can go out to pasture (pun intended) for a while.

Richard - you've made my day.
  • Dear Richard,
    We'll extend the arms of your grace-filled gift from St. Augustine to Central California; my wife directs our Women's Ensemble and their next scheduled Mass is in May, at which they'll perform your setting.
    We hope to be able to thank you in person in June.
    C
  • mjballoumjballou
    Richard Rice's SSA Magnificat will be the "crown jewel" of our Vespers this evening at the Shrine of Our Lady of La Leche in St. Augustine, FL. The St. Augustine Schola Cantorae is quite excited about this. The whole schola will sing the chant verses, while a trio will handle the polyphony.

It's been raining all week with a nor'easter, but we're hoping it will taper off for the evening. (Actually, our fans come rain or shine.) Since it's May there will also be a May crowning by a little girl in her First Communion dress. The music for that? The chant Regina caeli, no "On this Day, etc."

Again, my thanks to Richard for this lovely addition to our repertoire.

Women's voices rock! (Sorry, I can't help myself.)
  • Donnaswan
    I have one for SSAA by Galuppi which I like quite a bit. I think I still have multiple copies if you are interested I will bring to Colloquium if you are attending. (At least I think it's a setting of Magnificat- the old brain does not always remember correctly, but I'll run downstairs to my library (AKA basement) and see if I can find it.

Donna
  • Donnaswan
    OOPS! I didn't read your note closely enough- you don't want a concert version. I'm not remembering how elaborate the Galuppi is.
  • Donnaswan
    Well, I am losing it- it is not by Galuppi, it's Niccola Porpora and def. a performance piece. Scored for SSAA, strings and organ. A lovely work, though. I have 20 choral scores, if anyone would like to have them who is attending Colloquium.

Donna
  • Donna, if no one took you up on your offer vis-a-vis the Porpora, our schola would give these scores a good home (and I'll send you the postage).
    Patricia
  • Donnaswan
    Patricia Would be glad to send them- Is it OK to give Email address on this site?
    Donna
  • Donnaswan
    Patricia
    Here's my Email- send your address and I'll send 20 copies. I love this setting, but will never have 20 women to do it again.
    Swanchen@aol.com
    Donna
  • Donnaswan
    Patricia Cecelia, WHERE ARE YOU?
    Ready to mail scores to you. But no address
    Donna
  • Donnaswan--I just e-mailed you privately. Gratias ago tibi!