Enthronement of Christ the King
  • Incardination
    I had heard a year or two ago about an enthronement that had taken place in Poland, even something to the extent of it, but it hadn't really percolated through all of the other things that were going on in my life at the time, so I subsequently forgot all about it. However, I was recently sent this clip which put it back in front of me and which I found incredibly uplifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzv9DOg0ksk

The clip was sent to me by the Mother of a congregation of nuns locally (Children of Mary) who is planning something similar here in the Cincinnati area. I believe their thought is to have consecrations / enthronements across the United States for the entire country - at least one per state - celebrated by local Ordinaries. The one in Cincinnati will occur at 2:00 PM on Sunday, November 24th. The Archbishop will give a sermon; there will be exposition, the Enthronement, Benediction; with music throughout. The ceremony will be held at Our Lady of the Holy Spirit Center. In 1911, the then-Archbishop of Cincinnati built the bishop's residence - this served for the next 40 years. In 1920, the Holy Spirit Center was built next to the bishop's residence as the major seminary (now located at the Athenaeum on Beechmont). The center is currently a retreat center, has 24x7 exposition of the Blessed Sacrament, and is the home to a variety of ministries including Sacred Heart Radio.

I am working to coordinate the music for the Enthronement here in Cincinnati. For those in other locations (in any country) that would be interested in doing something similar in your diocese, I encourage you to review the clip above. You can email the nuns if you would like to do something connected to this effort at childrenofmarysisters@gmail.com.

Currently, it looks like there are enthronements scheduled in 4 states - Pennsylvania, Michigan, Florida, and here in Ohio.

Kudos to Poland.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • tomjaw
    If you are looking for a more interesting Christus Vincit, here is the one from the Worcester Antiphonal, https://societyofstbede.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/christusvincitwa.pdf
  • Incardination
    Thanks tomjaw! We use something similar (we have the version as in the video which we call simple version and this version which we call acclamations). I like the expanded section on the saints!
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen tomjaw
  • a_f_hawkins
    I attach a transcription of the whole of the Worcester version, not by me I don't recall where I found it. For the Enthronement described, sections II and III would seem to be more important than an extensive list of saints (Worcester of course focusses on local heroes).
  • tomjaw
    And here is the manuscript,image

Notes,
    1. Illum / Illam (as in the transcriptions above, the manuscript is not clear)
    2. Also is there a liquescent? on the second note of Christus?
    3. The version I posted above is from a handwritten copy (not by me) with modified text, one day I will produce a new copy, but am still thinking how to to deal with some of the vagaries of the manuscript.
    4. As for the list of the Saints they were chosen as being particularly relevant, our hard copies have St. Bede added in pencil.
  • a_f_hawkins
    FWIW I made an attempt at transcribing to gabc, but decided I would need to discuss with people knowledgeable about chant paleography. I then made a few editorial decisions based on my recollection of how we sang it at school in the 1950's. It worked very well then, as the worcester version has a simple, fairly uniform triple structure, and the boys had little doubt about their responses.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen