“The Ward Method of Teaching Music” by Dr Mary Berry
  • Jeffrey MorseJeffrey Morse
    This is a great article explaining the Ward Method. Written by one of the most enthusiastic proponents of the Ward Method, and the teacher to whom Mrs. Ward herself, would send her top english speaking students. Dr Mary Berry, while an international expert on on the subject of Gregorian Chant teaching at Cambridge University, also directed the Ward Centre In Cambridge, which served Great Britain and Ireland. My last conversation with Dr Berry just before her death was about the Ward Method, she was convinced it was the best way to teach children (and adults!) music as it involved the whole child.
    1710 x 2643 - 1M
    1737 x 2786 - 2M
    1714 x 2809 - 2M
    1775 x 2770 - 2M
  • Carol
    This is a fascinating article for me! I taught in a first grade classroom for many years and I tried to incorporate music into the curriculum wherever I could, singing a bit every day. In a Catholic school, using music in Religion class was easy. I also used songs as a transition from one subject to the next or to reinforce a topic. The underlying premise that children are capable of improving their musical ear and their singing voice is wonderfully stated and accurate. Thank you for sharing this.
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Morse
  • CGM
    Here's the whole article incorporated into a single PDF file.
  • Jeffrey MorseJeffrey Morse
    Thank you, CGM for the single pdf file!
  • mattfong
    Thanks Jeffrey, for this wonderful resource.