a dot org for polyphony and chant
  • is anyone familiar with the St Michael Foundation for Polyphony and Chant ?

I see Prof Kwasniewski's name on their board -
    They seem to have downsized from an international to a US presence, and apparently the last updates to their site were in Q418 https://www.polyphonyandchant.org/

I'm wondering if anyone has worked with them - and if they are about to cease operations
    thanks!
  • chonakchonak
    I get the impression it's a project of Chris and Constanza Mueller; he is forum user @CGM, so he can probably fill you in about what work they're doing.
    Thanked by 1mmeladirectress
  • CGM
    Yes, indeed. We still exist! We have lots of plans; so far, we've done one big project each year:

— Ensuring the inclusion of polyphony and chant and polyphony at the English-language Masses of World Youth Day (2016, Kraków). Video archives here.
    — Ensuring the inclusion of chant and polyphony at the Masses of the USCCB Convocation of Catholic Leaders (2017, Orlando). Video archives here.
    — Launching an online radio station in 2018 (via the web, as well as iPhone and Android apps), which people can use as a resource in their efforts to encourage the use of polyphony and chant in their local parishes: click on the app, and like magic, the glorious sounds of Catholic liturgy emerge from your phone (or computer). It's called SacredMusic.fm, and it can be downloaded for iPhone (via the app store) or Android (via Google Play), or simply listened to online.

We've also assisted individuals, ensembles, and religious orders looking for musical resources to get their scholas off the ground; we've hosted numerous online videoconferences for youth to stir up interest in polyphony and chant; and we have a Facebook page where we archive interesting articles about this music.

We're always interested in collaborating with like-minded people, whether or not they happen to be church musicians. Feel free to PM me or contact us via our website if you'd like more information. We look forward to hearing from you!
  • CGM - thank you for all this information!

Question for you - would SacredMusic.fm be available through Sirius or XM radio?

Remembering a day I was waiting at a long light, when a generous fellow pulled up alongside (I say generous because he obviously wanted to share his rap music with everyone in town)
    I had a CD in my car and put on Cipriano de Rore's "Jubilate Deo" ... although he tried to drown me out, he failed :-)
    Since then I put my windows down more often, to let the glorious music drift out.