Psalms for Propers
  • JMoellman
    Where can I find the Psalms that should accompany the proper Entrance and Communion antiphon?

We have the installation of our new Archbishop in Kingston, Ontario, on May 3, the Feast of St. Philip and St. James, and would like to make use of them.

Thank you!
  • JMoellman,

Assuming that you're in EF-land, they are found in a book called Psalmorum et Canticorum (both of which are genitive plural, so "of the psalms and of the canticles" will need the noun "verses" somewhere in the title).

If you're in OF-land, I'm not sure provision exists to sing multiple verse, or even one, with the antiphon.

Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • chonakchonak
    "Versus Psalmorum et Canticorum", the book with Vulgate verses for EF Masses, is available for download at CMAA's site:
    http://media.musicasacra.com/pdf/psalmorum.pdf

If the Mass is to be celebrated according to the ordinary form, you can take the Latin verses for the communion antiphon from the Nova Vulgata edition, as in CMAA's book "Communio":
    https://media.musicasacra.com/books/Communio_RRice_2010.pdf

Another option for an OF Mass would be to use the corresponding verses from a vernacular edition of the Psalms approved for liturgical use in your country.

With the introit in OF Masses, one verse is provided in the Graduale Romanum (1974), and a Gloria Patri; if more time is needed, it's probably fine to use additional psalm verses from the same psalm.

Here's my English translation of the norms for chant at Mass, from the book Ordo Cantus Missae:
    https://media.musicasacra.com/pdf/ordo-cantus-missae.pdf
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    Assuming an OF Mass, you can turn to The Processional which has the texts for singing the processional chants, including the palm verses that may accompany them. Unfortunately, it does only list the greater feasts of the Proper of Saints.

The Graduale Romanum (p. 559/561) indicates Psalm 33 (32) for the Entrance Chant and Psalm 33 (32), 1.2.3.6.12.13.18 for the the Communion Chant.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen chonak
  • a_f_hawkins
    In the OF I believe you use the Mass of the day (that is stated for the Ordination of a bishop, and this is a lesser event). The Psalm at Communion would then be Ps33/32V, whether in Latin or English (vv 1,2,3,6,12,13,18 but not neccessarily all of them). For Introit the Latin in the Gradual also indicates Ps33/32 v1. I don't know what goes with the missal antiphon 'These are the holy men'/'Isti sunt viri sancti'.
    The source referenced by @chonak agrees about Ps 33/32, but shows it as 11th May. It also shows an option of using Ps 34/33; that is always a valid option in the OF, and as we are still in Eastertide the antiphon can be a triple alleluia. (Ps 34/33 is longer, which may be an advantage, or not).
    forestalled I see, but I'll press POST anyway!
  • Andrew_Malton
    How could it possibly not be "allowed" to sing the Vulgate verses from Versus P & C, in the novus ordo? Assuming it's agreed that Latin chanting is allowed at all. (Kudos to Mulhall.). No requirement exists to take Latin verses from the "Nova Vulgate" . Thank goodness.
  • a_f_hawkins
    There is a setting of Ist sunt viri sancti for two voices by Peter Phillips for sale here. And for 4 voices by Palestrina at CPDL here.
  • tomjaw
    @Andrew Malton but in the EF should we really be using the Psalm verses from the Vulgate? ...
  • a_f_hawkins
    Since the Vulgate came out, I believe there have been attempts to impose it instead of the older translations used in the liturgy. But they have been ignored/resisted for 1500 years now, and I would say the tradition is clearly established!
    The idea that one translation should be imposed is, to my mind, one of the most pernicious and ludicrous of modern ideas. Uniformity was what did for the potato, and hundreds of thousand of the Irish people. Any translation is a distortion, and everybody always using the same distortion is a bad idea.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • canadashcanadash
    I've heard such great things about the Most Rev. Michael Mulhall! Blessed diocese!
  • chonakchonak
    Andrew writes: "No requirement exists to take Latin verses from the 'Nova Vulgate'", but I would note that the Ordo Cantus Missae does specify that communion verses (at Ordinary Form Masses celebrated in Latin) should be taken from the Nova Vulgata. The directive is reprinted on p. 12 of the 1974 Graduale Romanum.

Perhaps, I suppose, the requirement may not apply if the Mass is predominantly celebrated in a vernacular language, since the OCM doesn't claim to apply to that situation.
  • rich_enough
    I don't see in the 1974 Graduale where it says that the communion verses must be take from the New Vulgate, only that "numbers of psalms and of their verses are taken from the 'Nova Vulgata'" - i.e. the numbering of the verses correspond to that version.
  • chonakchonak
    Well, that is a good observation. Perhaps I have followed a modern convention too closely in this matter. Thanks!
    Thanked by 1rich_enough
  • Andrew_Malton
    My understanding is that the Nova Vulgata 's practical purpose is to define the verse numbering and therefore the exact boundaries of pericopes, etc., especially for the multilingual régime of the modern liturgy.
  • Is its purpose also to realign the numbering of the psalms according to some measurement other than the one in use in 1962?