happy Easter ! ! ! !
  • I don't know how to make this **very large font**, but if I could, I would. Not purple, but letters of gold and white.

Lumen Christi gloriose resurgentis
    Dissipet tenebras cordis et mentis.

May God bless you all, and all whom you hold dear, at this glorious season.
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    At the Easter Vigil I attended tonight, an old friend of mine (who came to this mass unexpectedly) came up to me afterwards and told me that it was the most beautiful liturgy he’d ever attended in his life, that one of our pieces (Palestrina’s Sicut Cervus) had him in tears, and that all of this reminded him why he’s happy to be an altar server. I figured it was worth forty days to hear feedback like that. :)
  • Stimson, thank you for this. We were PACKED at the Day Mass today (EF, polyphonic Mass, and we too sang the Sicut Cervus). May all our visitors reflect and come back, from wherever they may be.
  • CharlesW
    We played to a packed house, the incense was excellent, the sermon was fine, and the music was good. But I am so tired. LOL. Let's not do this again this year.
  • Ah, the joys of the Triduum. I was allowed this morning at the 10AM and Noon Masses to play the Postlude, the Lanquetuit Toccata in D Major. However, during the postlude after the Noon Mass, I began hearing extremely high-pitched sounds from the organ. Since our organ console at the front of the church plays both the pipe organ and the electronic sounds and can be changed easily by a key switch with "chancel" and "gallery" options, and I was on Gallery, hearing noise through the speakers was a shock to me. Turns out the two highest pitched swell mixtures were coming through the speakers, only in the higher register. I had to cut about 7 bars from the end since it just wasn't going to happen. Needless to say, it was the most stressful postlude I've ever played.
  • >> But I am so tired. LOL. Let's not do this again this year.

LOL - but yes, let's!
    The alternative is unthinkable. We are incredibly blessed to be doing this work (I know you know that) :-)
  • Carol
    My husband and I went to a Lessons and Carols in a church with a large pipe organ and one very high note (think mosquito in your ear) couldn't be silenced for the entire hour+ except by turning off the organ completely. It was incredibly distracting for the audience and I am sure it was driving the organist and conductor CRAZY!
  • CharlesW
    You might not play a very high note often, so pulling the pipe would silence it for the time being and wouldn't affect much. At least, pull it until you could get a service person in to fix it.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Charles is right. I've had to pull a cipher a few times.
    Thanked by 1Incardination
  • Had it happen once at a wedding (my choir and organist were visiting to sing the wedding) - had to pull the pipe and explain what / why. It started suddenly during our pre-Mass practice - and wouldn't stop as long as the organ was on. Most annoying - but thankfully easily fixed.
  • But I am so tired...let's not...
    Ha!
    No time for slacking!
    Ascension, Pentecost (Whitsunday), Trinity, and Corpus Christi are on the horizon.
  • CharlesW
    Tell me about it! LOL
  • Jackson,

There's a hymn (T. Tertius Noble comes to mind) with the memorable text, "God is working His purpose out". Should we remember that the reason the Church puts these feasts where they are and inspires us to reach for great music is that there is no rest for the wicked?
  • Carol
    Don't forget First Communion and Confirmation are coming up for many, too, MJO.
  • No time for slacking!
    Ascension, Pentecost (Whitsunday), Trinity, and Corpus Christi are on the horizon.

Indeed! This is what one anguished choir director described to me, years ago, as The Relentless March of the Liturgy.
    Sounds like a great title for a memoir.
  • CharlesW
    The Relentless March of the Liturgy. Sounds like a great title for a memoir.

I like relentless march of the liturgy. Reminds me of the cartoons I watched as child. The screen would advance to some far off time in the future and the announcer would say in a big booming voice, "time marches on."
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Relentless March of the Liturgy

Isn't that one of the sections from Mendelssohn's Athalie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEFjo7nqs1w
    Thanked by 2madorganist CharlesW
  • [started separate thread]